susceful long shots??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

Post by warningshot »

30 Yards with the compound bow and 35 is the max with the excalibur ....
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

41 with a recurve (I was younger and dumber), 35 with a compound and 42 with the crossbow..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Thirty yards max. I have let plenty of nice deer walk that were out past that range.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Bugs- at 14 yards you just need to see the angle of the arrow in your mind going in at impact and where it will exit the animal, You then have to see in your mind the lungs or heart at that angle and that gives you the aiming point so you can penetrate both lungs or the heart {I try to get the Lungs bigger target} Yes, Experience does help a lot! but it realy is not that difficult if you Practice out of your stand the shot you will have most of the time.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
saxman

Post by saxman »

I put a red dot scope on mine today
It has a single dot or you can choose reticles.
I sighted to 35 - 40 so that will be my max with the current set up.

On my 47 yard shot the POI was not where I wanted it due to string jumping.
I killed the animal but the amount of moving the deer did makes it unacceptable for ME to try it again.To much can happen.

I guess it's a personal choice but we all must respect the limitations of ourselves and our equipment.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thirty yards is my comfort zone however I just violated that zone with the gray face buck as he was around thirty-five yards.

Had I stayed within my zone I probably would not have had the difficult retrieve as the buck would not have traveled as far. But then, I also would not have that buck at the taxidermist right now.

I will adhere to my self imposed thirty yard limit.

Until next time. :lol:
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

I do not want to start a war of words about ethical shots, deer jumping the shot, etc. I hunt on the ground for the most part and the woods I hunt normally will not provide a shot in excess of 25 yards. Last year the two I shot were inside of 15 yards.

However, does anyone know at what distance a 400 grain arrow launched from a Phoenix can no longer be expected to make a pass-through double-lung shot on a mature deer?

180 class buck, standing in cut bean field, calm wind, and he promised not to jump or flinch when you shot, at what distance could you expect to make a killing shot?
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have taken half dz with 2216 400gr pass through out to 30 yds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maple

Post by maple »

All within limits I suppose. For me, 30 yards is a long shot. I far prefer 25 to 27 yards tops. Anything more than that is left to the imagination as to whether they will still be there when the arrow arrives or not.

The quest is either get close to them, or get them close to you.

Maple
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I pushed the 40 yard range to 42 and ended up losing my buck this season

never again... ill keep it 40 and under. Normally 30 is my max without a rest. 40 with a rest
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Farthest for me was 40 on a deer. I regularly practice out to 70 on a bag for something to do...

I think I could *technically* make a 70 yard shot on a deer under perfect conditions, however I won't risk wounding an animal.
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

A long shot is just that. A long shot.
I have wounded, and it feels terrible. I would perfer to keep my shots within 30-35 and if its a REALLY big, relaxed, almost sleeping buck... maybe 40. Maybe.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i practice shooting my exomax at 80 yards. my theory is if i can shoot good at that range, ill be great for actual hunting ranges. id feel confident in taking a 50 yard shot, but id still stick with 40 yards max because deer like to move.

practice like this also gets me quite a few rabbit and squirrels each season 8)

another good thing to do is make a few quick sprints and then try to take a 40 yard shot with a fast heart beat and likely out of breath. helps ya get use to buck fever and such :lol: