Looking for some info on what type of bow to buy.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Archery Newbie

Looking for some info on what type of bow to buy.

Post by Archery Newbie »

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and had a few (ok, maybe quite a few!) questions. I want to take up bow hunting, but am unsure of what type of bow to buy. Why would someone buy a crossbow instead of a compound? If I were to buy a crossbow, what should I look at for deer/moose hunting? And yes, I will more than likely buy an Excalibur, as I have never heard anything bad about them. Price is no object. Thanks!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

A big factor for me was he ability to relatively easily hand cock the bow. I went with the exocet 200 and have not regretted it. Handcocked a reload to kill my first buck two years ago. I think if I had been fiddling with a rope cocker I would not have had the second opportunity. Hope this helps. You will not be dissappointes with any excal product.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

reasons fer using a CB. illness & or disabilties. not enough strength to hold up a Bow and draw high poundage. i used to own & shoot the Longbow the recurve & a compound. now i use & shoot my CB, i have always had an open mind with Bows & ML's. i enjoy hunting & have all my life. some ppl are not really accurate using the other type of Bows it takes many hrs & weeks of practice to shoot well & hunt. some ppl just grab theirs up and tell theirselves they are naturals! :lol: they ain't & thats why so many deer are wounded during the archery season. i had rather be accurate than mucho man any day. the game i hunt deserves all my best. i usually shoot & hunt with my vixen the smaller of the hunting models. never felt i gave away anything to the upper models. thats just a fact, the vixen is the best of the Excals
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
saxman

Post by saxman »

Well my friend.
It's all archery to me.
get the one that lights YOUR fire.
Go out and shoot some X bows and some Vert bows and go with your gut.
I went to the crossbow because of a disability that has now turned to many disabilities.I wish I had done it years earlier.Not switch to the crossbow but add it to the arsenal.
It doesn't have to be one or the other.
If money is no oblect,get both.

P.S. Welcome :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

I have no physical handicap or age related disability and I shoot a crossbow. I also have a very nice Martin Jaguar compound bow that I shoot.

Who do I choose to also shoot a crossbow? For me, the reasons are simple. Shooting a crossbow is fun and it also gives me another reason to get out of the house and to go hunting.

If you choose to shoot a crossbow, you will add another whole dimension to your outdoor hunting experience.

Welcome Aboard and Have Fun.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Crossbows still require practice but not as much as a compound bow.

Excalibur is the way to go try a few for fit and go from there.
Tenpoint Matrix
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum Arch. :)

Compound's require a lot more tuning and practise, less tuning required with the x-bow but you still got to shoot it lots.

I love them both!
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Im only 19 so i would consider myself young, the main reason I choose a crossbow was more of the fact that i can use a compound bow but am more comfortable with using a crossbow. dont get me wrong i practice a great deal but if its one shot that counts i want it to count.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
maple

Post by maple »

Excals?

HHHMMMM

Simple. Reliable. Accurate. Affordable. Durable. No cams or pulleys. Repairable in the field. Can shoot sitting down, or standing up. Scopes increase low-light visibility. Add-ons if you like. No resulting shoulder damage. First rate service (never needed it). Great forum.

Maple
camoman

Post by camoman »

I started hunting with a Bob Lee recurve about 10 years ago because the compound seemed too easy and the recurve just felt more natural. The problem is you have to practice ALOT with a recurve to be good and my back started giving me problems from practicing so much. I have missed the last 3 of the last 5 years of hunting because of deployments overseas and was excited to get back to hunting this year. They just allowed crossbows during bow season this year in Texas so I looked at just about everything available online, went to Bass Pro to get some hands on and saw that the Excalibur was the best made, hands down. Check them out for yourself, Im certain you will come to the same conclusion. Good Luck!!!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

hmmmm price is no object, well let me tell you this, as I have done. You can have the best of both worlds. Get an excalipur and a compound bow. You can hunt right away with a crossbow and just practise with the compound bow for next year. Now if price is a bit of an object then get a crossbow first as it is much easier to learn to shoot on target. My opinion anyways. Thats the route I went. Now I use a compound until it gets colder out then go to my crossbow. My dad uses my one crossbow and my brother uses the other crossbow. I use my compound but I know they will eventually buy excalipurs for themselves. My new hunting buddy just bought a new vortex. He was always a compound bow shooter.

Another point to think about, What other bow site, compound or crossbow does the owner of the company come on a chat board and talk to us all? To me it shows they have nothing to hide and have complete confidence in what they sell! Try and talk to owner of Horton or PSE or any of the others and see how far you get up the chain of command. I think thats what makes this board feel like family like no other chat board does. And I thank you for that Bill T. :) :)

This is my opinion only, as I only speak for myself.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Family :D Buy an Excaliber you will not Regret it!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Welcome!!I went to excal because of reliability,accuracy,simplicity :D I had a compound but with a shoulder injury and less time for practice I went to crossbow and never looked back!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Arkbow

Crossbows

Post by Arkbow »

I have been in archery for over 35 years; shooting x-bows for over 15 now; never spook game by drawing bow and have had a many of good meals due to me shooting Excaliburs;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;