Newbie - to site and crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

Newbie - to site and crossbow

Post by prossbow »

I live in Nova Scotia where crossbows have only recently come off the restricted weapons list, and now have opened the regular rifle season to crossbows as well.

I have passed the certification and have been reading like mad on these forums and other resources on the internet. There are no pros or instructors in the area at this time (as far as I know) so getting local help and advice is somewhat out of the question. There are some dealers now but rather than hear sales pitches from someone who has about as much crossbow experience as I do, I thought it best to ask here.

I've been hunting since I was allowed, and although I haven't been out in a few seasons I'm very interested in getting a crossbow and getting out there. I was hoping you guys might be able to help.

A few facts about me. I'm 31, I'm 5'9 definitely not a skinny dude, I had a bad car accident 11 years ago and lost my right leg. I thought this noteworthy due to the obvious use of your legs with crossbows. I hunt from a ground blind. I have never fired a crossbow, but used to have a Browning compound. Not sure really what other variables would come in to play, but I can provide other details if necessary.

I'm thinking, from my rifle hunting experience, that the areas I have access to hunt will put me regularly in the 25-30 yard range for shooting. Also, the crossbow I purchase will also be the one I learn to shoot from and likely subject to a lot of use early on as I practice.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Welcome to the forum. I am new this fall also and you will not find a nicer and more helpful group of people.

Long
maple

Post by maple »

Hi Buddy, and welcome.

No legs needed for crossbows.

You can get your girlfriend/wife/partner/neighbour/boss to cock it for you. Or, you can get a crankaroo to do it for you. That's a fancy word for a mechanical device attached to the stock that cranks the string back. Lots of the guys here use 'em. Ask all the questions you like here, some of the members just love the chance to share their knowledge.

Maple
scottee

crossbows in n s

Post by scottee »

I recently bought a excalibur vortex and its more than what i had expected after firing it the first time. I dont think you would be disapointed with an excalibur. You can get a crank cocking aid so you dont need to support it with your leg .
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum Mr. Prossbow, you will love it here!

Did you say "just came off the restricted WEAPONS list" :lol: :lol: :lol:
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Aw shucks prossbow, we just had our very first crossbow shoot in Shubenacadie last weekend. Too bad you didn't make it out. We had several crossbows out at our little range. Would have been ideal for you to try a few different ones.

I shoot a Phoenix and live in Fall River. I would be more than happy to go out a show you my set up....thats if you are close by. I don't have a crankaroo but you can at least get the feel for it. May make that purchase a bit easier.

Good luck!
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Thank you, glad to have found you all.

@roly - yes. Not only was there no season to allow hunting but as I recall restrictions on owning and transporting. Here is a FAQ that gives some boxed answers. http://gov.ns.ca/natr/hunt/crossbows.asp
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Welcome to the forum. A crankaroo might be ideal for your situation but not necessarily a must. Most use a rope cocker to cock the crossbow and it reduces the weight of the xbow by half. So with the majority of the xbows it would be like picking up 100 pounds or less. You also mention hunting from a blind so I'm assuming you will be sitting in a chair. It is fairly easy to cock am xbow with the rope cocker while seated too.
Why ride when you can walk!
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Welcome to the forum prossbow
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

Welcome...you will learn a lot from this forum...great people...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome friend!
"Eze 18:21"
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Prossbow
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

While I LOVE my crossbows (two Excals and a fast compound) they are not the only game in town. Check this out:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?cli ... CB8QqwQwAw#
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Well after careful consideration and reading I bought a Vortex tonight with the right stuff acc pack and a case and practice target.

The little local shop had just about every model to choose from and after holding the different models I liked the feeling of this one the most.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to try it before buying it, but I have a good feeling about the whole situation(even after the dent in my mastercard). When I got it home of course the first thing I had to do was cock it. I was able to comfortably cock it with just the rope cocking aid, so I pondered what method to try and uncock it, I decided with the rope cocking aid again. To my surprise it was amazingly simple. I was pretty happy at this point, but noticed the realtree had worn off the groove where the string ran through it when uncocking. Is this normal? Do I have to worry about the friction wearing trough the material of the stock?

I'm pretty stoked to get to the range to try this out. should I be worried that the scope is horribly out or should it be decent out of the box?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thank you.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the vortex! I have a buddy with that bow and it handles very nice.The thumb hole is a nice feature and with the lower draw weight it will be easier on you and the serving! Good choice!