Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

beagles1111

parkerbuster 175 or exclaiber ibex

Post by beagles1111 »

I need some advise on which one to buy advantages and disadvatanges on both
Stash

Post by Stash »

Parker: Considerably faster, quieter, more compact (width-wise). Auto safety and anti-dryfire mechanism.

Excalibur: More reliable (overall company product performance, that is), simpler design with less to go wrong. Better customer service in case you need it. String replacement and maintenance is much easier.

The Excalibur is easier to pack and transport. You can quickly take the front end off with 2 bolts and reassemble it without losing accuracy. Parker requires one large bolt and 2 small screws, plus a cable guard and some fiddling to reassemble.

Both are good crossbows and will take down anything you'll come across in North America. Equally accurate. You won't regret getting either.

If you're shooting in tight areas, out of blinds, etc. the Parker is more maneuverable. Get yourself a spare cable/string set and make sure you have access to a bow press.

If you're going to be far away from a dealer or shop, get the Excalibur along with a spare string and stringing tool.
kevin

Post by kevin »

pay close attention to the MAINTENANCE area in Stash's post!

Years ago when I first got into crossbows with a Horton and did ALOT of target shooting I learned of maintenance, proshops and bow presses and maintenance prices.

With Excalibur I've eliminated the proshop/maintenance side as I do my own string changes/servings and eliminated presses, wheels,cams,cables!

I just kinda always liked very simple dependable things. I make a living fixing enough complex stuff/crap that breaks and don't need that in my free time as well!
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Family :lol: 2 Years ago when i wanted to get a crossbow I started my search with reading Reviews on all the models, watching videos posted on the internet, and when it came time for my Decision, It boiled down to the Simplicity of the Excalibur {Reliability less parts to go bad or Break} and this Forum!! If i have ever needed a Question answered or advice i can get it Right here! You will allso be able to share your Experiences {Good or Bad Hunting or Family} here and get true support from a Great bunch of People. So now the Decision is Yours, and remember it will not matter which you choose you are allways Welcomed here :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Rich

Post by Rich »

Stash/Kevin/Dick all summed it up perfectly. Both are great crossbows, however customer service cannot be outdone by the Excalibur Team. If by chance you do have an issue, Excal will rectify the issue immediately. My buddies Parker is sitting in the shop right now waiting (been 2 weeks)for a screw that had backed out and is missing. I guarantee Danny Miller would have had something as simple as a screw in the mail and to you within 2-3 days. You will not be disappointed with an EXCAL.

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Had a 150 Terminator, now own a Phoenix (Ibex without the hole). Both good bows. Excalibur is inherently accurate, easier to maintain and can be let down without shooting. String can be changed without a press. Excal, one tough, dependable and consistent bow made by a company that wrote the book on great customer service.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I was at a show a year ago this past August helping kids try xbows among other things. The 4 mfgrs present were: Bnett, Horton, Parker, and Ten Point. I was impressed most by the BuckBuster 150. [no 175 available]

That being said, last I knew some or all models of Parkers had/have a pair of angles glued via double sided tape for a rail, on to composite type material. They had a small problem at one time w/ those coming loose, which they stood behind admirably.

The Excals have a solid aluminum extruded rail which is much better, imho.
Good luck w/ what ever you choose for yourself.
"Eze 18:21"
beagles1111

parkerbuster 175 or exclaiber ibex

Post by beagles1111 »

thank you for ur advise

I am in canada toronto where can I get reviews on the web site for crossbows reviews?

also where can I find a resonable priced new ibex or vortex I been to big stores names but way to expensive overpriced right now
Arkbow

The right crossbow

Post by Arkbow »

It's very hard to make a choice with so many good choices of crossbows; the joy I get is seeing companies that finally realize that ALOT of people are using crossbows to hunt with and now ALOT of states are allowing them to be hunted with; with all that said, companies are producing some great x-bows that are second to none;

But here is the difference that Excalibur brings;

They have done nothing else BUT make crossbows; never made any other bow; they have stayed with time proven designs and they have stayed simple; being dependable is without question and being accurate,well...I don't see any other bow that even comes close;

Alot of good choices but IMO Excalibur is without a doubt THE BEST CHOICE; good luck and you are always welcomed here;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

I bought an Excalibur because there was less to go wrong, no cams or cables to break and customer service which is second to none. Thinking of buying my second - the phoenix or Relayer. Probably the Phoenix as I don't think I could take the Relayer in the woods. Currently own a exomax.

Can find some really decent prices on ebay. Don't know about shipping to Canada. But I would definitely take a peek at ebay.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
marlinchester

parker bows

Post by marlinchester »

they are junk, and their "lifetime Warranty" is useless this side of the border
they couldn't even bother to answer my e-mail about where to find new limbs and a stock after my terminator terminated itself
most dedicated archery shops won't carry them due to these warranty issues
awshucks

Re: parker bows

Post by awshucks »

marlinchester wrote:they are junk, and their "lifetime Warranty" is useless this side of the border
they couldn't even bother to answer my e-mail about where to find new limbs and a stock after my terminator terminated itself
most dedicated archery shops won't carry them due to these warranty issues
I'm an Excal fan through and through, but got to say on this side of the Great Divide, Parker has an excellent rep for warranty problems.

I realize that can all change 'up North'. Sorry you are having problems.
Stash

Post by Stash »

I'm not too impressed with Parker's "excellent reputation for customer service".

Customer called today (in Canada) with a broken limb on a Parker crossbow he bought from us (Toronto Bass Pro) last winter. Since we don't have parts and can't do major repairs, I suggested he contact Parker directly, and if they wouldn't help him, that he should call us back and I would see what we could do to help.

He called back a few hours later and informed us that Parker wouldn't help him, and wouldn't even give him the name of a Canadian service dealer.

Unfortunately I was away from the phone and another staff member wasn't sure about who he should call in Canada (by the way, it's Bromley Archery). Unfortunately he didn't leave his phone number, but he was given the names of some other Parker dealers and I hope he finally got the answer he needed.

Just to illustrate what good customer service really is, last Friday we had a guy come in with a chipped limb on his Excalibur, also bought from us several months ago. Thanks to the good folks at Excalibur who provided us with a spare set of limbs just in case something like this happened, the customer was set up with new limbs within 15 minutes.

And to top it all off, I called Excalibur to let them know we had used that set of limbs and could they please send another set with their next shipment to our store, and yesterday (2 business days later) we got a new spare set, special delivery.
blackjack

Re: parkerbuster 175 or exclaiber ibex

Post by blackjack »

beagles1111 wrote:I need some advise on which one to buy advantages and disadvatanges on both
g'day from Australia. l've just put down a deposit on a new ibex from john at ausbow this will be my fourth Excalibur, if l owned another crossbow here in Australia well service is terrible maybe 6 months for a simple part (example Horton) & thats across the board. owning an Excalibur crossbow all l need to do is call john from ausbow down under & with the great service that Excalibur offers no worries at all within 7 days from canada. check Parker's crossbow forum & see what there members are saying (yes l no) which ever way you go good luck & welcome....best regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Stash wrote:I'm not too impressed with Parker's "excellent reputation for customer service".

Customer called today (in Canada) with a broken limb on a Parker crossbow he bought from us (Toronto Bass Pro) last winter. Since we don't have parts and can't do major repairs, I suggested he contact Parker directly, and if they wouldn't help him, that he should call us back and I would see what we could do to help.

He called back a few hours later and informed us that Parker wouldn't help him, and wouldn't even give him the name of a Canadian service dealer.

Unfortunately I was away from the phone and another staff member wasn't sure about who he should call in Canada (by the way, it's Bromley Archery). Unfortunately he didn't leave his phone number, but he was given the names of some other Parker dealers and I hope he finally got the answer he needed.

Just to illustrate what good customer service really is, last Friday we had a guy come in with a chipped limb on his Excalibur, also bought from us several months ago. Thanks to the good folks at Excalibur who provided us with a spare set of limbs just in case something like this happened, the customer was set up with new limbs within 15 minutes.

And to top it all off, I called Excalibur to let them know we had used that set of limbs and could they please send another set with their next shipment to our store, and yesterday (2 business days later) we got a new spare set, special delivery.
I see Parker has been dropping the ball in a lot of places now that the season is open and the pressure is on.

Their 'ask the rep' thread got locked on another forum for lack of attention to problems.

My apologies for posting stale info, lol. Sorry Stash etal!
Excal sets the standards for warranty help the rest are judged by anyhow.