October 23rd

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

October 23rd

Post by Mike P »

I have recorded all my hunts in a journal over the last forty years. The past twenty of those years have been recorded hunting the hills here in southwestern Ohio. I record everything I see in the journal along with temperature, wind direction and moon phase. The journal is my bible. And my first commandment is "Thou shall not forget to consult thy Journal."

I never break that first commandment. Well, at least not anymore. I have sinned in the past and neglected it. And I paid the price. I am older and wiser now and know it is probably the most valuable tool I have for hunting mature whitetail bucks.

And Lo and Behold, the time is at hand. According to my journal tomorrow is the day. Tomorrow is the day everyone around here should try to hunt all day if possible. Tomorrow is the day the mature bucks come out. October 23rd is one of the hottest hunting days of the year here in southern Ohio. And if you are anywhere near here, I bet the same is true for you.

I have recorded more large buck encounters on October 23rd then any other day of the calendar year. The data in the journal confirms this. October 23rd is the date the big boys finally make an appearance. And they are full of themselves.

They are not yet stupid. That will take another couple of weeks. But they are aggressive and will now respond well to grunt calls. They will also come to the clash of horns. No need to just tickle the ends of the antlers together now, go ahead and bang the hell out of them!

Call in sick, take a vacation day or play hooky and get thou self out into ye woods. For tomorrow is judgment day.

And remember:

Thou shalt not doubt Mike P's journal.
swiftfox

October 23

Post by swiftfox »

Thanks Mike and I will be cursing you under my breath on my 5 hour plane ride out west tomorrow.

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

It's supposed to be windy and rainy all weekend (starting tomorrow) where I hunt. It figures.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

bugs wrote:What does it say for Sat? I MUST work tomorrow
It says "Hunt in bugs blind on Friday while bugs is at work!"
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Wow what coincidence as tommorrow i finally start my month long journey for the ever elusive Monster Buck.I will be sure to bring my rattle bag.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike knows of what he speaks, so take his advice.

I wish to add to his sage advice. If you're going to hunt Friday make sure you're out there at 11:10am and 5:25pm.

Bugs as far as Saturday: 12:00pm and 6:15pm are two good times to be out.

If you take my advice and are successful, you can thank me later, if not blame Mike P's. journal :lol:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

to bad i got work til 10:00pm. looks like saturday i'll be out
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Oct 28th till Nov 14th are my magic days from past deer I have taken :lol:

The weather is mistimed here for much action this week. Its hot and rain on the way for friday-sunday :cry:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I will be out there tomorrow for as long as the weather will allow. I'm packing a lunch. I know there are a couple nice ones in the area. Maybe tomorrow one will wander through. Saturday looks like a rain out here. Black powder starts a week from Saturday so the season is winding down for the Excal here. I would love to put a nice on one the ground in the next week. We'll see.

DuckHunt
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Might be able to sneak out tomorrow while Ben's in school.

Tim's headed north tomorrow afternoon to chase some baby moose, bear and grouse for a day so I probably won't be able to get out again until next week unless I bribe a sitter for Saturday which I'm VERY tempted to do....
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Take the little guy to the blind with you . :)
That or Tante Lou :)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Doe Master wrote::) Take the little guy to the blind with you . :)
Yeah that should be good for about 25 minutes of hunting. :roll: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might try to get out tomorrow Mike.
I pulled the card from my feeder cam this afternoon and I saw a few new bucks have been visiting. Nothing big, but new guys anyway.

I did fill another antlerless tag this evening, so the freezer will be full and now I can hunt for a decent buck with no regrets for letting the little guys walk. :wink:
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am usually a Die Hard Hunter! But it is 4:30 A.M. and the weather here in Mid-West Tennessee is Realy Snotty, So as an Older more Mature, Sane Man would do. I am going back to BED :wink: But Thank You for the Tip Mike P!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Thanks Mike, I hope the bucks in Tennessee also start moving more during the day. I have plenty of midnight bucks under the persimmon trees, but none are moving my way, during the day. I have been confused with what to do. Hunt here, hunt there, :? I have been reluctant to hunt their comfort, and feeding area.

I didn't see much yesterday, and I can't go today. :cry:

I'll be sure to take my bag of tricks tomorrow. :wink: :D
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount