Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 56

Bronco

Decoy Useage

Post by Bronco »

Just thought I would drop a post to inquire as to how many of us out there either use or have used a deer decoy? And wither or not they have had sucess in the past. I myself have a deer decoy and have used it quite a bit in the past years but this year I have opted to go without it and have lent it to friends which seem to have given them some success. I am diffentely thinking about pruchasing another soon. Just wanted to hear from some others on their opions on the subject.

Thanks
Bronco
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

edited/deleted by Red Label :D
Last edited by Red Label on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

I assume you are talking about a deer decoy. If that's the case no. Refuse to pay that kind of money for something that isn't essential.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Bronco : May not be essential but it can be another tool in your bag of tricks !

I've used them successfully many times . I have a series of shots of a set up that ended up with me taking a 6 point at the end . The photo's show the decoy's viewed from the tree stand , what the deer see's from the trail , a doe coming out , and a final shot of the buck that was right under the tree !

I'll see if I can look them up and post .

Basically I can't say I have shot more with decoys than without but they are a usefull tool when deer seem to hang up just inside the bush and are reluctant to come out before dark . The decoy's seem to make them drop their guard since they think it is safe to enter the field !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Don

Post by Don »

So far this year I have had the privilege to use a decoy. (Thanks Bronco :D )

I will somehow spend the money to get one of my own, because each of the three times I have had it with me I have had deer withing thirty yards.

And each time they have come from 80 yards away or more, almost on a dead run to check it out. Biggest problem has been that more than one has come each time which makes it hard to get ready for the shot when one is working the decoy while the others are looking around for trouble.

Had it not been for one jumping over the arrow, one pulling it's shoulder back into the arrow and the others being just to dang close I would have had my tags filled with only four trips afield.

Don :lol:
Deevian

Post by Deevian »

I don't have a Decoy to use but maybe one day I will try one and to see if i like to buy one.
OK. DEER HUNTER

Post by OK. DEER HUNTER »

I have a feather flex bedded doe decoy that folds up to about the size of both fists and looks great when set out. As soon as I see bucks chasing does I take it every time. I will say the more visible it is the better. I have had deer walk 200+ yrds on a wheat field to say hi and I must give credit to the decoy for atleast 1 wall mount in 97.
For God so loved archers that he gave his only son in sacrifice for our sins. God will bless you with the flesh of the earth and is willing to help them who are willing to help themselves to mega bucks if you ask and he will!!
excalibear

Post by excalibear »

The cardboard decoy seems to work OK on the younger deer but the mature deer seem to know something is up. based on what I have seen Don do with it; I would go with the 3d decoy
Outdoorz

Post by Outdoorz »

I have used a decoy over the years once in a while but only had my first success last year. It was late season so any deer would do. I planted the doe decoy about 20 yards out , upwind.

At about 5:00, I had 6 does come in. As soon as they saw the decoy, they were full alert and fixed on it totally. A younger doe got really bold with the decoy, approaching it to within 5 yards but was pretty wired... she acted like it might bite her at any minute.

I was using my vert bow and unbeknownst to me the sights had been knocked off a bit. The bow was shooting very low. I went to shoot the doe and missed at 15 yards. She jumped but never left. All the deer acted like the decoy had done something. I couldn't believe I missed so I nocked another arrow and let fly. Missed AGAIN! :shock:

They still didn't leave. :!:

Third time I figured out what was happening and held high. Dead deer. It was fun watching the deer around the decoy and without it I wouldn't have gotten my deer.

John
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Haven't used a decoy as of yet. But I just finished making a 2 dimensional decoy out of plywood. I plan to use it tomorrow, and again, if I don't score, on Saturday. I painted it so it looks relatively realistic. I plan on using doe in heat urine on a drag line out to the decoy. It will be placed in a field where I have seen deer feeding, and have seen a buck following the does in hopes of breeding with them.

Like I said I've never used one. So any input would be helpful. I intend to place the decoy about 20 yards past where I will sit in wait. What I hope will happen is the love seeking buck will follow the scent trail I've laid and allow me a shot as he approaches the decoy. The decoy will be broadside to the forest where the deer come out of, to feed in the field. The wind for Thursday is supposed to be favourable for this set-up, and the temp is supposed to dip a little as well, so with any luck the deer will be on the move.

Should I place the decoy further so the buck will have a harder time determining whether it is real? Or would twenty yards suffice with all the scent laid down?
striper

Post by striper »

Man, I can't imagine walking through the woods in Alabama opening week of gun season with a deer decoy on my shoulder. I am sure the coroner would declare the death suicide! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
GA.crossbowhunt

decoy

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

this was the frist time i have used one. i got a little basket 6pt to come in to it about 35. i will use it more next year bow hunting but i wont use it during gun season.
Don

Post by Don »

My experience so far with the decoy, shows me that the deer have come to within 10 yards or less of the decoy each time. When I had it at 20 yards they stopped at thiry-five and came to within 30. So I moved the decoy to 15 yards and they came to within 25 yards, and the last one was at 20 yards. I have had the tail facing me, and each time the does and spikes have come in they have come in directly at the middle of the decoy from the side. and when they got to where they were not going to advance anymore they have stopped and turned broadside presenting a virtually perfect shot each time.

I have not as of yet had a larger buck come out to it but where I am hunting the bucks appear to be on the other side of the fields. But the rut is coming and where the does are is where the bucks should be soon.

Don :lol:

Vince (not logged-in)

Post by Guest »

This might sound crazy but turkey decoys worked real well for me.
While Spring turkey hunting two years ago, i had deer coming in to investigate.
For the heck of it, i tried the turkey decoys during last years fall deer hunt.
And sure enough...........

I was hunting open hardwoods and figure the deer must have thought acorns were still on the ground (with the turkeys around) or at least, if it was safe enoguh for the turkeys keen eye sight it must be safe enough for deer.....anyways, it wasn't!
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Striper I was thinkin the same thing when I was carrying one in for the first time. The one I have been using is fabric so you can kind of break it down. It's already proven itself, I believe. I have used it twice in the last few weeks and seen nothing.

Jay