Too Much Stuff !?!?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bob64

Too Much Stuff !?!?

Post by Bob64 »

I carry my climbing tree stand, a backpack with my hunting gear (I get to hot if I wear it in) and my crossbow. In my backpack I also have my antlers, flashlight, knife, water, calls and tags. It just seems like a lot of stuff, but all necessary I think. I wish I could put the stand on my back (it has shoulder straps) and somehow fit my backpack there as well. Any ideas??? :?:
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

You could try a cart if the terrain will allow it. Some stands even have attachments to turn them into carts. Or you could try hunting from the ground and not use a stand(what I do).
Why ride when you can walk!
dutchhunter

carrying all gear

Post by dutchhunter »

i have switched to my turkey vest to carry all my gear deer huntng and i can still carry my climmer on my back .i will never go back to a pack again this h s strut vest i have is the cats meow DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

A few ideas:

If possible, carry the stand in a day or two before your hunt.

Minimize size and weight of all gear that has to be carried in/out daily.

Try a different style of day pack or switch to a comfortable waist band type fanny pack

Put some comfortable cushy padded pads on stand backstraps, strap day pack to the back of the stand so all is contained and carried as one unit.

Allow plenty of time to travel in to hunting spot. If traveling long distance, stop and rest frequently, don't be in a hurry.

Good luck.

Dave
Bob64

Post by Bob64 »

Thanks folks...great ideas.
Arkbow

Going light

Post by Arkbow »

I started hunting on the ground about 5 years ago and now that is the only way I hunt; I found that I can kill as many deer on the ground as I ever did in a tree; this system has lighten my load a whole lot.
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Hoss

Re: carrying all gear

Post by Hoss »

dutchhunter wrote:i have switched to my turkey vest to carry all my gear deer huntng and i can still carry my climmer on my back .i will never go back to a pack again this h s strut vest i have is the cats meow DUTCH
heck of an idea dutch I may try that..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

carry in bottles of water pre hunt and other items ...ie heavy jacket boots etc ....so you don't have so much to carry ...hope this helps ...
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I do the same as Dutch . I have my deer vest and turkey that way I just have to grab and run . :)
They keep things semi organized in individual pockets and have a cushion already attached .
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I put carry straps on the stand (for back carry) and attach the pack to the stand with a bungee cord.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I like to open a fold out golf bag cart and strap on it my pop out ground blind, fold out chair and pack. After setting up the blind I can put everything inside, even take the plastic wheels off the golf cart and stuff them out of the way. Sometimes I include a propane heater also, deer pay the low hiss no mind. I have had does within ten yards, just curious. :D
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I was watching Wild TV a couple of weeks ago and saw a guy using the golf cart to carry in an old blind that didn't have a backpack bag I guess. I thought that was pretty good and then thought the golf cart might actually work as a poor man's deer cart. I've got two old folding golf carts I'm going to camo and leave at my hard to reach / far stands and hopefully will be able to try hauling a deer with it soon! At the very least one of them will be handy to bring my popup blind back across the beaver pond at the end of the season.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
mikew

Post by mikew »

Cossack wrote:I put carry straps on the stand (for back carry) and attach the pack to the stand with a bungee cord.
I do similarly, except my pack has a chest strap - that gets looped through my stand so no bungee needed. :D

-Mike
PS Carrying in the stand ahead of time isn't possible where I hunt...it would not even be there when I came back to hunt. :shock: