You would think it was the rut or something...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bojangles

You would think it was the rut or something...

Post by bojangles »

This was the best morning of hunting so far this year for me. although I didnt get a deer.--Got in my stand 30 mins. before shooting time and not even 5 mins. past legal shooting time I see a deer's body move quickly across in front of me 70 yards but cant make out what it was....then 20 or so mins. pass and I see 2 does coming right at me on a trail and they look '' jumpy''...but I knew it couldnt be my scent becasue the wind was blowing perfect for this spot and just as I go to pull up my phoenix for a shot at them I see antlers coming in behing the 2 does fast...Just a 4 point but he is after one of the does hard..I mean full blown rut chasing after her and would not let her move more than 15 yards from him.He had his head down grunting and really goin after her.He left the other doe alone for some reason.He chases her past me 11 yards but I decide not to shoot her because maby a big buck will come after her and chase him off so I wait and watch them run around for 30 mins.I did use my grunt call on him but he didnt even care.He finaly chases her off into the woods a ways where I cant see :( ...10 minuets go by and I see another doe coming inthe same way the first two did and here is this buck behind her(must of been the same doe-He had to of chased her in a big loop).I see him stop and look back in the way they came in and see 2 sets of antlers right behind him and the doe.Small spike and decent 8 trotting after them and go out into the middle of the field then chase her into the woods further down.I see them chasing her all over the place,zig zaging back and fourth and then they dissappear and I didnt see anything for a hour then so I climb down and just as im walking out see a doe getting chased by a buck in the field adjoing the one I hunt..Great :( I knew I should have stayed all day but I have a heck of a cold and couldnt take much more.I swear its like its the full blown rut here already :?...I will be sure to take my doe can call tonight :wink:
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I have not seen much rut sign yet up here. But it is time. Pop some Advil or something and get back out there. I want to see more buck pics :lol:

Long
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

she was either almost ready to start to breed or had already been which I doubt.I think within the next 5 or so days, things should really get exciting here :)..I was just in shock becasue ive never seen this much chasing and rut activity this early.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

bstout wrote: be running around dragging their johnson on the ground and dumber than a box of rocks. :lol:
Hey, you can say what you want about me but I will defend grizz to the bitter end!

He is not that dumb.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:
bstout wrote: be running around dragging their johnson on the ground and dumber than a box of rocks. :lol:
Hey, you can say what you want about me but I will defend grizz to the bitter end!

He is not that dumb.

:shock:
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bstout wrote:The bucks are on the move here in southwest Wisconsin but they haven't lost their wariness as of yet.

Soon as the rut kicks in full tilt they'll throw their caution to the wind.

They'll be running around dragging their johnson on the ground and dumber than a box of rocks. :lol:

lol... they will be in loveeee;)

usually it doesnt matter what direction this wind is either during that time. They only have one thing on their mind and nose :lol: Remind sme of my younger days a few years ago LMAO :D
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

crazyfarmer wrote: They only have one thing on their mind and nose :lol: Remind sme of my younger days a few years ago LMAO :D
Reminds me of the time you spent in the booth with Tiffany.