Climbing Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Climbing Stands

Post by DanO »

Well I'm getting used to the climbing stand and it definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages.

I'm used to permanent stands that have lots of hangers already onthe tree. How do you guys and gals hang your stuff when you use a climber? Do you redo your screw in anchors each time? I'm wondering about bungies for some of the stuff. What about the crossbow? I'm always afraid I'm going to drop it.

I dropped my heavier coat tonight and learned the first problem with climbers. No way to retrieve things unless you climb all the way back down.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Bob64

Post by Bob64 »

I saw a tool you can lower from your stand that actually grabs things you drop.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Yeah, I saw that too and thought "what a waste of money", until today when my coat hit the ground just as I settled in to hunt. I don't like to overheat as I climb and walk in so I carry the coat separately.

Dan O.
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

On the trees that I'm going to use multiple times, I just leave the screw in hangers in the tree. If I'm not sure, when I come down, I take them with me.

I've been thinking about one of those nylon belts with multiple hooks that wrap around the tree.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I bought the side bags for my Summit, one side always has my harness, safety rope and pull-up rope, the other has other stuff I may need in a hunt, spare calls, chemical heaters, extra gloves..
I really like the bags, gives a whole lot more room.
I use a pack from Maxpedition called a Proteus, it holds all my other gear, before I climb I attach it to the front rail and all the pockets face me, been golden so far.
As far as the crossbow, I must be just lucky, if I slide my stock under my arm it locks in to place, stock goes under a bar and the front secures on the shooting rail. I would be quite content sleeping without worry of it falling.

If you need more security with the bow a member here showed me a trick that may be right up your alley, just remove one end of the shoulder strap, slide it under the shooting rail and re-attach it to the bow. It can limit the bows range of movement a bit with the stock strap, I use the adjustable strap from Hunters specialties, instanly goes from short to long. Or just use a short chunk of rope to tether it off.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DanO

Post by DanO »

My bums going to sleep just looking at that seat!

I wondered about leaving the coat on the ground. Next time I'll descend, hopefully nothing else drops.

Dan O. :oops: