Broadhead double standard

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Broadhead double standard

Post by sumner4991 »

Yep, I've seen it a thousand times now. The broadhead double standard. We buy a new pack of broadheads to try out. How do we test them?

Fixed blades . . .
1. Check the blades for sharpness
2. Check out the quality of the ferrule
3. Put it on the arrow
4. Spin test
5. Try shooting for accuracy vs field points.

If they fail any of the above tests, then we. . .shapen the blades, replace/adjust the collar, align blades w/vanes, refletch our arrows, try a different offset, and/or check our scopes. If they still fail to shoot with our field tips then we zero our scopes in to the same POI as the broadheads and go hunt as long as we get decent groupings.

Mechanicals . . .
1. Check the blades for sharpness
2. Check out the quality of the ferrule
3. Put it on the arrow
4. Spin test
5. Try shooting for accuracy vs field points.

If they fail any of the above tests, then we . . .throw/give them away.

I am under the firm belief that both fixed blade broadheads and mechanicals can be effectively used for hunting. If you are not getting the results that you believe you should be getting, then seek the help of the manufacturer before giving up on the broadheads. In most cases it's something simple. In a few cases, it's a faulty broadhead and a replacement will be sent to you.

Unless we as a group actively complain to the manufacturers about their products, then we can not expect them to improve their broadheads. Let's take our complaints to the source.

Simply not buying the broadheads eventually puts a manufacturer out of business. That hurts us all.

Make your voices heard.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

Some good advice for the new ones here and the older ones too.
Thanks
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
roly

Post by roly »

enormous wrote:Some good advice for the new ones here and the older ones too.
Thanks
What do you mean by OLD!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

many times the BH that was not to your liking should die but not the company unless the rest of its products are also bad. i found out that the meat seeker wasn't a good BH to use on severe angled shots. the company should have said that so it wouldn't be used if that type of shot was present. i could have passed on my scrub.
Last edited by vixenmaster on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used the Rage practise heads this year for all my practise sessions. Just swaped them to the real deal & they shoot the same. So no complaints here with Rage so far.....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Very good post sumner!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I can only speak for myself, but, most of my issues where due to ignorance. I'm still learning or attempting to learn.

No one intentionally puts a broadhead on an arrow equipped for target practice(fletching) and thinks it's suitable for hunting. It's a matter of not knowing the difference.

I like seeing the threads that state, "I'm having trouble with my broadheads doing XXXX, what could be wrong?". Because, we all know there could be a dozen things wrong and until it's fixed, the shooter may go through a dozen different broadheads and never get a tight group.

When it's determined that it's indeed a broadhead issue . . .well, that's where we need take the issue to the source. We could do a better job of this. It's a fairly easy process since all the information we need is listed on their website. One phone call or an email will do us all a lot of good.

Some companies have better customer service than others. That information is good to know too.

I really like giving the manufacturers a chance to voice their opinion or fix the issue before bashing them on an open forum. It's just the fair/right thing to do.

We also owe it to ourselves to find out if we are indeed doing something wrong before throwing away our hard earned money.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bob . . I didn't mean for that to be a "shot" at you. I just don't think anyone intentionally does these things, they just don't know better. I plead ignorance for most of my wrong doings because I certainly don't do stupid things on purpose and I can be taught. However, hardheaded I am.

My crossbow is set-up for hunting. I practice with my hunting set-up with the exception of the field tip. I have found, with great consistancy, a broadhead that flies exactly as my field tip. As long as I spin test the broadhead and it passes that test, then there is no need to shoot the broadhead. I have found that shooting some of the fixed broadheads will bend the blades(even into a foam target). A bent blade can cause accuracy issues. So, I have a hard time shooting some fixed broadheads and then expecting them to shoot straight the next time it's shot.

Anyway, when we have issues with a broadhead, let's share the experience in a positive way. Try our best to figure out the issue without bashing the broadhead until after we have determined that it's a broadhead problem and not user error.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am alot like Bob. i shoot my BH & sight-in using it and resharpen it. I reckon thats why i like a fixed or replaceable bladed BH's.
Half Bubble Off BD360

wabi

Post by wabi »

I recently posted about the TrophyRidge heads I bought failing the test. I shot 1 time and completely missed a 24" x 18" target! I figured it opened in flight.
sumner PMed me and told me TrophyRidge recommends putting 2 bands on the blades when using them from a crossbow. This indeed might solve the problem, but why didn't TrophyRidge put that information in the instructions???? I feel like TrophyRidge is leaving themselves open for bad publicity by not informing customers of the need for extra bands.

BTW - My fixed blade heads group right with my field points! I have found 2 brands that will do this (G-5 Montecs & Wac'Em Exits). The others I have tried (too many to name them all) were varied results. Some grouped great (SlickTricks), but not with field points! I eliminated them from my list as I want to be able to shoot any arrow from my quiver without having to adjust my aiming point. Each bow has it's own personality and your accuracy results may not be the same. :wink:
wabi
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

The more I learn, the more I realise I dont know! But it sure is fun learning---
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

sipsey wrote:The more I learn, the more I realise I dont know! But it sure is fun learning---
There is something special about being self taught. It's certainly a lesson learned and in most cases, not soon forgotten.

I'll probably devote a thread to Trophy Ridge after I give them another week or two to respond to my latest issue . . .details to come . . .this falls under "giving the manufacturer a chance" before calling them bad. :)

Has anyone shot Bob yet? :lol: :lol: Just kidding Bob . . .I agree with you, but, I'm too scared to say it. Oooops . . .too late. :shock: Seriously, most of us have good intentions. We just need some educating and more time in the day.

smokepolehall . . .some of the thinner fixed blades will bend slightly when shot into a foam target. I had the Wasp Boss to bend. The bend was so slight, I couldn't tell by just looking. However, when I shot the second time, the broadhead went 8" off target. I replaced the blades, all was fine. When shooting at a high rate of speed, a slight bend is a very bad thing. This could very well explain some of the wild misses that no one can explain.

wabi . . .glad to hear about you fixing your scope issues. That may be the next upgrade(good rings) for me too. However, mine has been good for well over a year. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Good tip Bob!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't think the meat seeker 2 Blade is a all around good BH. I have uesd their steelheads & give them 2 thumbs up. I think the Sidewinder 1 1/2" would be another very good BH.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great thread !!

Just had a young fellow shoot at my farm with his new bow . Screwed some wally world expandable broadheads ( look like a poor knock off of Rocket Sidewinder ) .

He tried a couple of them and they would not group any where near his fps . He had me look things over . Found a few things wrong with these poor quality BH .

The metal washers cut in half on the 1st or second shot (The blades then cut into the aluminum insert and could ruin his carbon arrows ) Upon spin testing the BH was NO WHERE near true .

I wanted to see if it was the BH or if the insert had not been installed true in his arrows . Tested his BH in one of my arrows that I know are true . His BH had a horrible wobble . We then checked his arrow with some BH's I know are true , his arrows were fine .

After all was said and done I asked him why he would spend $1000.00 on a new high end bow then spend $10 . on some no name broadheads. :roll:

It is a learning curve for all of us who love the sport of archery . It is places like this , where new shooters and old can all learn a thing or two .