Best light for blood trailing?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

Big58cal wrote:Just to be clear on the Coleman lantern, it only works if there is a high phosphorus content in your soil (and the deer ingests the soil). If this is the case, the blood appears to "glow" under the lantern light.

But if your soil doesn't have a very high phosphorus content, a Coleman lantern is no better than a regular flashlight.

I've tried it where I hunt at, and the lantern doesn't work. I've been to other areas, using the same lantern, and it works. :wink:
Must be something to that theory. A Coleman lantern (set up with the reflector & handle) didn't work for me where I hunt. A Fenix LED flashlight has been about the best I can come up with. Even a special "blood tracking" LED light didn't work any better.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Whats a blood trail?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ComfyBear

Re: Best light for blood trailing?

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike P wrote:
ninepointer wrote:Best light for blood trailing?
Daylight.
Geez Mike, you stole my thunder. :wink: Nothing beats Daylight as far as I'm concerned. I'll track blood during the day, but I hate tracking it in the dark.

If I happen to connect close to last light, I'll look for possible trails and the deer, before looking for blood. I figure the "escape trail" is easier and faster to spot. By doing so, hopefully I spot the deer before dark. If not, well then I go the Lantern and/or Flashlight route.

If worse comes to worse, I figure "tomorrow" is another day. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
camoman

Post by camoman »

A Scorpion flashlight works great, its similar to a surefire but half the cost. You can get them at BassPro for about $40.
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

to my surprise when I was hog hunting the hosts pulled out a bazillion candle power 12 volt and a sling for a battery that runs feeders.. bright and big... was not sure about that but it did allow us to find really small amount of tissue, blood, smears, etc. I was not used to using it and I would think that it would not have been so effective but was wrong..
it did seem to change the color of the blood from daylite like all lights do, but I give it the ultimate endorsement : I bought one and am about to pick up the battery and the solar charging unit for it..
of course that will stay at the truck or on the bike till needed and I will use a small lite for approach to the stand etc. but when it is time to get down with the blood trail... high power large 12 volt is the ticket for me now..
dk
life guard at the gene pool