Best light for blood trailing?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Best light for blood trailing?

Post by ninepointer »

I've always used a regular incandescent Mag-lite. I've also heard that a Coleman lantern is very good, but I've never tried tracking with one. The other day I shined a small LED flashlight on some blood and I was impressed with how well the blood showed up against the forest floor and leaves under that bright white light. I have not read any glowing reviews of those special blood tracking lights. What light do you all find best for blood trailing?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Coleman lantern for me too. :)
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I've heard the colman has to be the naptha kind. I keep one of those handy back at the camp. I would (maybe) have gotten the Gerber Game Tracker light but after I destroyed 2 of their little cap lights by simply installing the batteries and watching the things crumble in my hands I gave up on Gerber lights. Absolute made in CH junk! I did pick up a game tracker flashlight made by Yukon. For $14, im not expecting wonders. But I did try it out in the basement and the reds do stand out. I keep a spray bottle of peroxide back at the truck or ATV. Sprayed on blood it will bubble. I also carry a bunch of kid sized glowsticks to mark the blood trail at night. Reflector twist ties would be ok too.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
roly

Post by roly »

I'm glad you posted this Ninepointer I have been reading the older posts trying to find a better flash light (my mag light dosn't cut it)

Does any one know of anything new to look at before I order one?
Mike P

Re: Best light for blood trailing?

Post by Mike P »

ninepointer wrote:Best light for blood trailing?
Daylight.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Mike P wrote:
Daylight.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You got that right. I got tired of seeing deer near field edges at 1 minute to blackness from my fixed stand. That's why I took my climber 75 yards into the forest and I'm glad I did.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I like this, even showed last years blood on my arrow.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... jsp.form23

Stosh
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Just to be clear on the Coleman lantern, it only works if there is a high phosphorus content in your soil (and the deer ingests the soil). If this is the case, the blood appears to "glow" under the lantern light.

But if your soil doesn't have a very high phosphorus content, a Coleman lantern is no better than a regular flashlight.

I've tried it where I hunt at, and the lantern doesn't work. I've been to other areas, using the same lantern, and it works. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

For a bit of fun, read the reviews of the Primos, Blood Hunter light. There is a TON of opinion, and they are so emphatically opposed! It makes me wonder what the heck is going on. They can't ALL be boneheads or liars.

It sure sounds as though some folk's vision benefits from that technology, but other's doesn't. Maybe it's like colorblindness, and how one person can see something that another cannot.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

i tried the gerber when the price was 49 bucks, now they are almost giving them away...that should be enough said about that...actually they do pretty good on a green background but on pinestraw or brown leaves they are not very good. i have since gone to the browning tactical hunter flashlight. puts out 120 lumens and is about 5 inches long (fits in pocket) and it is like trailing in the daylight. has a bright white led output. that was 2 yrs. ago so they may have upgraded and be called by another name but you will not be disappointed if you try one with around 120+ lumen output.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Brite sunlight is the best!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

My 1950's era Coleman single mantal, works for me :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

Big58cal wrote:Just to be clear on the Coleman lantern, it only works if there is a high phosphorus content in your soil (and the deer ingests the soil). If this is the case, the blood appears to "glow" under the lantern light.

But if your soil doesn't have a very high phosphorus content, a Coleman lantern is no better than a regular flashlight.

I've tried it where I hunt at, and the lantern doesn't work. I've been to other areas, using the same lantern, and it works. :wink:
Must be something to that theory. A Coleman lantern (set up with the reflector & handle) didn't work for me where I hunt. A Fenix LED flashlight has been about the best I can come up with. Even a special "blood tracking" LED light didn't work any better.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Whats a blood trail?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike P wrote:
Daylight.
Geez Mike, you stole my thunder. :wink: Nothing beats Daylight as far as I'm concerned. I'll track blood during the day, but I hate tracking it in the dark.

If I happen to connect close to last light, I'll look for possible trails and the deer, before looking for blood. I figure the "escape trail" is easier and faster to spot. By doing so, hopefully I spot the deer before dark. If not, well then I go the Lantern and/or Flashlight route.

If worse comes to worse, I figure "tomorrow" is another day. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.