Finally got on a mature buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kenton

Finally got on a mature buck

Post by Kenton »

I saw six bucks and two does today. Four bucks were 1 1/2 years old, one young buck was actively chasing a doe, one young buck was definately looking for a doe, and two young bucks were content hanging with each other. The Fifth buck was a eight point that went right around the 120 inch mark. I think he was 2 1/2 years old with 11 or 12 inch G2's but not much spread. This buck actually came right to the decoy, within 10 feet of it but approached it from the rear. This is the first time I've ever had this happen and becaus of the setup I had, I couldn't film this deer. The biggest buck was a heavy son-of-a-gun, both in weight and antler. When I first saw him I was dumbfounded because he was wide and heavy but didn't have any points. By the time I got the binos on him, i only had a few seconds to look, but I saw that every tine he had was broken. His right G2 still had about four inches left and that was by far the most tine left. I would guess his inside spread would be around 22 inches and he easily carried 4 inches of mass. This buck could have easily been in the 140s and could possibly have been much better. A "buck of a lifetime"...next year". The interresting thing is that I figured this guy must be a fighter so I hit the grunt tube hoping he would see the decoy. He looked but didn't change course. I desided to try hitting the antlers and as soon as I did he bolted back from whense he came. This leads me to believe this fella already had his tail handed to him once this year, and I looking for that bully.

I took a couple pics of my setup and one of a doe unsure of what to make of this plastic deer standing in her way.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Nice Doe! That would be very tempting to take her!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I like the looks of that setup!

The bucks are going to be coming out of the thick stuff looking for doe's and I think they will use those travel lanes shown in the pictures.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you find the one that whipped the big buck - shoot him!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good luck getting the big one! Nice set up you got there.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

That decoy put that doe in perfect shooting position.
My index finger is itching just looking at it.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

perfect spot;) I can tell you know what you are doing also since you dont have the trees clear cut around your stand LOL. Everyone asks me how I can even shoot from mine since I only trim a few branches. I like being able to move if needed without the deer seeing me. Most cut every limb from the base of the trees up 15ft in front of them.

thats a perfect ML'er setup also

I think ya'lls deer are about 1 week ahead of us. They are scraping and rubbing hard here, but mature deer are still moving at night. Hopefully this weekend or next week is good to all of us 8)
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

crazyfarmer wrote:perfect spot;) I can tell you know what you are doing also since you dont have the trees clear cut around your stand LOL. Everyone asks me how I can even shoot from mine since I only trim a few branches. I like being able to move if needed without the deer seeing me.
I need lots of cover to video because it always seems like the deer come from the wrong way and I have to swing the camera, so extra cover helps.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

crazyfarmer wrote:perfect spot;) I can tell you know what you are doing also since you dont have the trees clear cut around your stand LOL. Everyone asks me how I can even shoot from mine since I only trim a few branches. I like being able to move if needed without the deer seeing me. Most cut every limb from the base of the trees up 15ft in front of them.
You hit that nail one the head Crazy. Many people clear cut a 20 yard circle around there stand up here.... I just keep telling them they are doing a good job :lol:
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

If edward scissor rack comes to the setup next time, the decoy may be in trouble. I can see it now: there goes the decoy skewered, riding on ESR, destined for further punishment.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Kenton wrote:I need lots of cover to video because it always seems like the deer come from the wrong way and I have to swing the camera, so extra cover helps.
What a bunch of bull! You need cover to help conceal your green outfit complete with church socks!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Good luck on the buck .... Cool field shots !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

FredBear wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:perfect spot;) I can tell you know what you are doing also since you dont have the trees clear cut around your stand LOL. Everyone asks me how I can even shoot from mine since I only trim a few branches. I like being able to move if needed without the deer seeing me. Most cut every limb from the base of the trees up 15ft in front of them.
You hit that nail one the head Crazy. Many people clear cut a 20 yard circle around there stand up here.... I just keep telling them they are doing a good job :lol:
LOL.. same here! I always say, it looks good :D

Kenton, they always come from the wrong direction. Nothing like being able to stand up and move around without being seen. You get less shooting lanes, but you can get in position for the one that counts :D I like cover since smart doe like to come in at 5-10 yards before their grandpa walks up. If you can fool them, then all is good :D
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

nice pics dude
Pro-staff for team gobblestalker
pro-staff at Turkey tuque
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com
type1 diabetic since 2003
mike schnarr :P
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Mike P wrote:
Kenton wrote:I need lots of cover to video because it always seems like the deer come from the wrong way and I have to swing the camera, so extra cover helps.
What a bunch of bull! You need cover to help conceal your green outfit complete with church socks!
Theres not enough cover in the whole woods to conceal that outfit.