Toronto Woman Killed by Coyotes in Cape Breton

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

after getting yotes on camera here I always have my knife handy. You just never know what could happen walking out in the dark. Its not much you can do with a bow. Thats why i'll be glad when gun season gets here. Granted, the chances of a attack are slim, but im sure that hiker thought the samething.

sorry to hear about this:( I know its rare to see this and chances are probably better of being hit by lightning. We have to remember, that we are at natures mercy. Just like going into the water and getting attacked by a shark.
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

In the State of Tennessee, this situation could have been addressed.
TWRA PUBLIC STATEMENT RELATED TO HANDGUN CARRY PERMITS

Recent legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on TWRA wildlife management areas, public hunting areas or refuges open to hunter access. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permitted by TWRA regulation. This change will now allow those with carry permits to possess their handgun at times when previously it would not have been permissible such as during archery hunting. TWRA will apply this same interpretation to those possessing carry permits while hunting on private lands.
This includes all State run Parks and WMA's.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter of TFA
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

N8tr Boy wrote:...the best lure you could use when hunting fox, coyote , wolves, deer are women during their cycle. I believe that is what happened here
Doesn't surprise me that you said that. That thought also crossed my mind, and I mentioned it to my wife when we were discussing this incident.

I suppose it's "food for thought" for the distaff members of this forum, when out hunting. Lest the hunter becomes the hunted. :shock:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've heard that too. I'm extra cautious during that week (which has often coincided with shotgun week :? ) I've also heard of people using used feminine products as lure.... I don't care how badly I want a deer, that's not going to happen! :roll:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I will have a pistol with me when I stalk to the stands, and always have done so; I will deal with the fall out if there is any once it occurs; easier to have it and not need it...I would not target shoot nor take game unless the season is open but for self protection, I carry my pistol and am not going to be coyote food solf food or any prey for anything without a little deterrent first...There is case law in Louisiana about carrying a pistol for self protection regardless what the game laws say..it is my right and duty to defend my self from two and four legged predators.. too bad an armed citizen was not present to help out...or save her completely..
dk
life guard at the gene pool
barnett

Post by barnett »

Why is it these parks have to hold refuge to these or any other animal? Its only a matter of time before this happens AND it will be close to home (ontario) i bet. With the spring bear hunts done and now the population is sky rocketing out of control with wandering bears in towns and outskirts of cities, now we have mangy mutts stalking hikers. I have no beefs with parks or conservation areas but open them up to hunters to thin out the crowd, i bet things would change ,better yet do a lotto system to be drawn into hunting in that park at different times of the year, yotes of all animals are the last thing to hear of mauling ppl. BUT i bet it will happen again, Anybody dissagree?
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Down here in Florida we are over run with coyotes. They are everywhere in the woods, inside the city limits, in suburban areas, etc. Coyotes have taken pets from the back yards and I have read on the net where they have snatched some pets from the arms of the owners.

We have seen a significant reduction in the numbers of new born fawns and yet the biologists claim there is no significant impact. I completely disagree!

I have and will kill any coyote seen. Unfortunately the coyotes are so wary and shy we actually see very few of them despite the ground and all roads and trails being covered with fresh tracks every morning.

It is only a matter of time before a small child will be taken.

Dave
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

A friend of mine up there emailed this to me..
Cape Breton, which I could see on the horizon from my bedroom window
growing up, has the same "coy-dogs" that PEI has now. So adult dogs being
in the fifty to seventy pound range. And, if the PEI ones are to be the
metric, quite comfortable around people, and regularly do stalk and follow
them.

My brother in law (in PEI) has been chased on his skidoo by packs on
occasion, f'rinstance.

Oh, and the biggest caliber allowed on PEI, due the population density, is
.22 rimfire.

Not a bad life, a maritime coydog...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Possible they were rabid?
I always "carry" when woods-walking. Esp since the time I was hunted down by a pack of stray dogs. The heard me walking and took a line intended to intercept me, probably thinking I was a deer. Turned aggressive, approached growling and teeth bared. I was carrying that day too. :lol:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Swish

Post by Swish »

Sounds like a freak occurrence to me. What is it, about once a year (at most) someone gets attacked by a yote? seriously. No need to demonize the species.

Its a little ironic how much this same rhetoric gets used against hunters, and yet how ready we are to use the same extremist spin for our own interests....How bout that one nutty crossbow owner who kills his wife and another one here in Toronto that kills a cat and suddenly crossbows, and their owners, cant be trusted; a murderous lot, we are. How often have you heard the story about the guy that kills his wife with the shotgun used as an argument for gun control? Every day?

Freak occurrence and statistical probability have a lot more to do with what happened than anything else.

Let's distance ourselves from the crazy extremist PETA folk, and their ilk, by being a little more objective.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

My condolences to the family.
Pydpiper wrote:I guess those evil "pull the coyote from the hole" guys wern't around..
Nicely done.
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

if I take down all I get the chance to take, then my impact will be really small...especially if measured by sheer simple numbers..
but if they come to understand that I AM NOT GAME AND NOT PREY, my impact is large enough...for my reasons..and they are still not decimated.. I am stopping way short of advocating poisoning the lot of them, shooting them from planes, putting a bounty of real size on them, etc. but
showing I am not food and not to be messed with ... I am game to show that to other humans as well.. any predator should recieve such training and if they learn too slow, then the others may learn by example etc.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I was reading about this in the local Sydney, NS paper. I have been out hunting a bit in this area and have noticed some yote scat. It is huge in comparison to what I see in Ontario. I have yet to run into a yote in Cape Breton, but I always have my knife with me and a this time of year, a gun.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!