Your thoughts on making this forum "Members Only"?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Your thoughts on making this forum "Members Only"?

Post by ninepointer »

"Anti's" cruise this forum. This is a fact. They also take what they see here, twist it, and use it against hunters. This is also a fact.

Right now, anybody can view everything on this forum, but only members can post.

As much as it bothers me to suggest this; perhaps a person should be required to register as a member before getting access to view this forum. I know that anybody (hunter or anti) with an e-mail address can register to become a member, but it might cut down on the number of "trolls".

Just a thought.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am with any measure that keeps this fine Excalibur forum in tact with no trouble. Were a family here, i feel close to those i read their posts & they read mine. Were knit together & enjoy the company.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I looked in the members pages. It appears we have 25 pages of members who have never posted. Im not implying they are anti's However it may be hard to exclude antis and include freindlies. How could this be policed? Any anti will simply file for a membership.

:idea: Include an area for hunting ethics! that would open a door for discussion between the "anti" and the people who know most about our passion: Hunters. Tempers would have to be kept in check though. But a civil disscussion may even sway the anti to our side
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

I read the forum for several weeks before joining. I like to know what I am getting into before I become a part of something. Liked what I saw here and joined. :D
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Our hosts donate the use of this site. It no doubt helps promote their product. However, unless problems become too numerous or too acute, why during a Recession should they spend scarce money or use up precious time in changing what seems to be working?

I don't intend to have this sound like a put down or an insult. I'm just trying to imagine how management would likely look at the issue. They likely have had to tighten their belts in a financial sense. I imagine they are also very busy and this site has to be well down on their priorities. So, unless it's broken...... :)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Everything seems to be working just fine. I like it open so people can take a look before they buy. 8)

I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say in front of my Mom . . .well, not too much. :oops:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

sumner4991 wrote:I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't say in front of my Mom . . .well, not too much. :oops:
My Mom has been known to snoop around the forums I frequent, even this one! :shock:

She still thinks that I shouldn't be hanging around on a "Men's Forum". She often reminds me that men don't like women hunting. Men need "their space".

Yesterday when I headed to the woods for a couple of hours she tried to talk me out of going - told me to stay home and "make the house nice", or bake something, or do some sewing instead. Seriously.

(If you're reading this Mom, Hi! I'm still here! :lol: )
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I too fear that it would keep those who might become a part of us from joining because they couldn't see what a cool and unique group this is.

I appreciate your concern, though, and understand what you're saying.

A tough issue. :?
Grizz
LockDown

Post by LockDown »

Some people who use the forum can learn and pick up vast amounts of information without ever posting

LD
Lockdown
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

I joined 2 or 3 months ago. Just bought a Vortex and have learned a lot by just reading. I wanted my first post to be of my first arrowed deer, but that hasn't happened yet...:)

My personal view is that the antis will be here regardless of whether the forum is members only or not. They don't have to post, they can just copy and repost/distort elsewhere. Making this a members only would not, as far as I can see, provide any security/confidentiality or whatever in that regard. I don't have any misconceptions about changing thier minds. Just had a confrontation with an anti in an area where bow hunting was just opened in a Reservoir that is overrun with deer.

Perhaps there should be a Sticky: To The Anti-Hunters Viewing This Forum - Please Read !

Followed by a Code of Ethics? I dunno. I have to say though, I will not ever apologize for being a hunter or taking game with any legal means, be it firearm or bow. There will always be antis around. This one called the Watershed Police on me the other day. Of course nothing came of it b/c I was doing nothing illegal. The old guy had to eat crow.

It did interrupt my hunt and I had a precious evening blown because of it.

But if members are looking for anonymity here to make this members only, its not going to happen, IMHO. Anyone on the planet with a computer and an ISP can see all of this yes?
Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I have to say that I'm kinda neutral on the subject. This forum was the first forum that I had ever joined and when I registered I made a huge mistake. I used my real name as my username. I was that I could go back and change it but like Sumner said, there's nothing that I have said here that I would say to anyone else. I have has some folks that I know visit the forum by chance and email me asking about something that I posted, nothing bad but they certainly knew that it was me. Again, this was my own fault and as far as I know, it cannot be changed (past posts). I have posted my name here 2000 times and.....wait, 2000 posts :shock: . 2000 post and no cake and ice cream, no gifts, no balloons :lol: :lol: :lol: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

raydaughety wrote: I have posted my name here 2000 times and.....wait, 2000 posts :shock: . 2000 post and no cake and ice cream, no gifts, no balloons :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Congrats on hitting two grand, Ray! :P

I'd mail you a cake, but, well, I ate it. :oops: :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

A cake :shock: , for me :?: . You're too kind my friend, too kind :roll: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Vix
I like your Mom, she's Cool :D But Chix need their "space" to. The outdoors is for everyone to enjoy. You bake too much anyway, give the stove a break. Your home last night was fine by me, when I picked up the tree climber. By the way . Thanks alot for allowing us to borrow it. You and Tim plus Xbowkidd are the best. (rob let us borrow also) Ty and I were out with them and will be putting it in as a request from Santa.
When we did work this summer at your place and saw your Mom, she was always so sweet and nice. She means well I know but we can all have different hobbies. I sew to but you can only take a needle in the fingers so many times and need a rest :lol: :lol:
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

planter wrote:We have nothing to hide or be ashamed of in here.
Well, I have to admit, I had a dream last night about grizz that I am pretty ashamed of. :oops: