WHAT IS WORKING

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

youngbuck1

WHAT IS WORKING

Post by youngbuck1 »

does enny one now what is working for the deer like calls or scent is the brawler work
Pro-staff for team gobblestalker
pro-staff at Turkey tuque
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com
type1 diabetic since 2003
mike schnarr :P
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, I know that the number one effective tactic is to stay still on stand ... and I'm not kidding.

Calls and scents don't hurt and may help ... but nothing is as effective as being quiet and moving slow on stand.

I hope you have good luck!
Grizz
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Staying still and long sits on stand really makes a big difference.
Staying scent free is important as is using the "right" scent at the right time if you are into using scents. On Monday I put out a doe in estrus scent. A group of 5 does were working toward me and as soon as they hit the scent one of the mature does started stomping and blowing like crazy. They then ambled off in the opposite direction.

I have never had much luck with rattling and calls. I have had some luck with the fawn in distress call calling a doe I bumped back in. I figure that once they are going away from you there isn't too much to loose.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nothing is working for me.
Not calls,scents,nothing so I am going to change tactics and take the hunt to them.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

saxman wrote: Not calls,scents,nothing so I am going to change tactics and take the hunt to them.
Game on! :P
Grizz
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

i got a buck roar from canadian tire 29.99 works awesome i love the weeeeeez feature it works very well in the rut also i have meadowview from a form member i used both withen, 15min my 6 point was laying on the ground :D :D i just bought some code blue doe estrus today i have used this brand for 4 yrs now and i have had bucks almost eat the scent bomb :o they always end up right on top of it so that tells me its workin. Iam just starting to use urin as of now but calls do work if a deer is passing say 50-75 -100 yards away and you give a littel grunt , Deer are courious creatures they will more often then not chk it out . The down side of using a call is the element of suprise once you call the deer now become alert and usually can pinpoint the area wear the noise came from withen yards i never call when iam not sure if there is a deer close if i can see along ways and the way is clear ial give a few blahs . If i think there are deer in the area ial keep quit and see how things play out if the deer go past me (to far to take a shoot) i will wait till they are 75 yards out then call to try and bringem bak be patient!!if the rut is in full swing i use the snort weez on my buck roar let me tell ya i have turned deer on a dime with this its a vert underutilized tool in my openion. again the deer must not be right under you to use this :)
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
truckintravis

Post by truckintravis »

i used a buck roar last year and love it! had a small buck come accross a field 200yrd away, stop @ the base of my tree look straight up at me!
09' Equinox
varizone
Gold Tip Laser II
Slick Trick 100's
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Grizz is absolutely right!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Sit still and long. My favourite call is also the primos buck roar.

I also find taking a nap on stand helps pass the time and boredness... Works like a charm for deer also. Took a nap last year on the last day of shotgun hunt and woke up to a 10 point buck standing in front of me LOL. He's on my wall now. :)
saxman

Post by saxman »

TYE wrote:Sit still and long. My favourite call is also the primos buck roar.

I also find taking a nap on stand helps pass the time and boredness... Works like a charm for deer also. Took a nap last year on the last day of shotgun hunt and woke up to a 10 point buck standing in front of me LOL. He's on my wall now. :)
I agree with Grizz and TYE
I know deer make many voclaizations but I never hear them in my woods.
I like to sleep in the woods also,so relaxing.

I remember your 10 point TYE
Great buck.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
TYE

Post by TYE »

saxman wrote:

Great buck.

I'm after two bigger bucks this year.

One property saw a 15 point buck on last year. Was actually full draw on him one evening on the 3rd last day but couldn't get him to step out from the bush only saw his head.

Another is a big 12+ buck at another property but there's not usually a lot of action there after the rut. Their food source is a few farms over...

One guy at camp on the moose hunt said he stumbled on the biggest 10 point he ever saw so maybe bag that one?

Got good chances coming I hope.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

saxman wrote:

Great buck.
:?

Wow really :shock: i hear them all the time grunting and blahing i regaraly get into grunting contests with other does and small bucks. I thought it was common to hear them grunt?? maybe the deer in my area are a bunch of singers :lol: thant or a bunch of deer that like to bicker :lol: :D And i never sleep i never wear a harness ither maybe thats why :? iam usually to excited to sleep and the dam deer dont shut up long enough :lol: joking :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
gogo

Post by gogo »

I think the most important thing is the wind. Make sure the wind is right for you, then comes scent make sure your scent free. Don't move is very important they see you move there gone. Those three things will give you a fighting chance.