Ontario deer numbers?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter7558

Ontario deer numbers?

Post by hunter7558 »

Has anyone noticed a decline in deer numbers? Have you all gotten alot of pics on your trail cams on your hunting property? compair them to last year and the year before? is the amount of deer your seeing the same? or less? Just wondering what everyone else is seeing out there! your input would be great...I hope this winter is nice or I think we have problems come next season :shock: Its just one of those feeling I have :cry:
WISH I COULD SHOOT A DEER SOMEDAY!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Last year numbers were definitely down. Saw many less than normal and took many less than normal in S. Ontario.

this year so far so good. Too early to tell but I've had one down already - only one I saw so far.

Next 10 days things should really start moving.

F
watamach

Post by watamach »

I have tons of pics of does, yearlings and fawns. Corn is key and my properties this year all have alfalfa, soybean or silage corn which is gone already. My sightings are way up compared to this time last year. I have seen at least 8 bucks this year and last year didnt see any until shotgun week. I am area 80 and they seem plentiful again in certain spots. Some areas like the mennonite farms are thin because of pressure but the Cambridge/ Arthur/Wilmot seem healthy. Also the Chesley/Hanover area is jammed with deer. You drive at night up there and every field is loaded with deer. No pressure = healthy herds
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

I have not noticed any declines in the deer but the turkeys in my area for some reason to me has taken a hit!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

The deer still seem plentiful in my area. That might change though, they're having a muzzleloader season this year.
Peach

Post by Peach »

Up in the Loring/North Bay/Corbeil area, the numbers are as high as ever. Was just talking to a buddy about that. We did a weeklong hunt 8 years ago in a tent, hunted hard, and the three of us saw one deer.

Now, it's just crazy. I counted the amount of times I hunted last year....11 - shot 7 deer, and must have seen 20.

This year, been out once, had a doe run by me at 6 yards, shot a doe at 50yrds, and saw 2 other deer....in an hour and a half...

I do a 10km bike ride on a country road, homes everywhere, and the average deer spotted on a 5km stretch is 22...my buddy said he counted 44 with his 2 girls...
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

deer everywear here iam trophy huntin now so i should get to see quit a few in the next few weeks :D i find after you shoot one, they start to flock to you taunting me to shoot, experence tells me that the big one is just outa site be patient and dont fall victem to a itchy finger syndrom :lol:
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter