Blinds in firearm season?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tom

Post by Tom »

Tye you can add strips of orange to the blind, hat ect. All suggestions are great ideas, but the one thing you need to do is make sure that ALL IN CAMP know where your blind is going to be. This is to make sure that they not shoot in your blind's direction if they are out hunting. The hat, or strips of orange can still be easily missed visually (blocked by a tree or something).

About using a blind in the gun season, I questioned the MNR about it (orange inside the blind, but no orange on the blind) and they said it was ok. Wha tthe MNR did not want was people walking around the bush without orange on and be mistaken by others as an animal. That was there main concern, not with people sitting in a blind.

OH >>>>>>> remember that if you put your hat on top of your blind, make sure your still wearing one, even if your inside the blind under the hat.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Woody Williams

Re: Blinds in firearm season?

Post by Woody Williams »

TYE wrote:It never really crossed my mind till a week ago when my dad said I should put orange trail marker tape on my blind so everyone in camp will know where I am.

Then I got thinking if I'm wearing orange I should probably mark my blind somehow so nobody accidentaly shoots my way.

Does anyone here do something during firearm season so other hunters in your camp know where your blind is? And how do you do it?
I think it is very good idea.

A deer hunter in Michigan was shot and killed last year while inside a blind because the shooter did not see the blind.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I hunt on private property but I still hang an old orange vest on a tree limb just above my ground blind when I'm in the blind. That serves to let the other hunters with permission to hunt that property know that I am in the blind.
We usually discuss where we will be hunting before we head out, but I want to make sure anyone who crosses from any neighboring property also sees the blind!
wabi
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

wabi wrote:I hunt on private property but I still hang an old orange vest on a tree limb just above my ground blind when I'm in the blind. That serves to let the other hunters with permission to hunt that property know that I am in the blind.
We usually discuss where we will be hunting before we head out, but I want to make sure anyone who crosses from any neighboring property also sees the blind!

Just what wabi said is how I do it when hunting my family's PA property.

Be safe...
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

VixChix wrote:We've successfully hunted from blinds during shotgun. We're supposed to be the only ones hunting the property we're on but I wouldn't put it past people to trespass. I sometimes hang my orange hat on my blind.

My biggest caution during shotgun is with the use of decoys. We use the Renzo's - the ones with the images printed on corrugated plastic (like the election signs). When I use them, I'm particularly careful to place them at a 90 deg. angle to my blind. I'm also hyper-cautious putting them out, keeping them horizontal until the get stuck in the ground to minimize the chances of someone winging them.
Vix,

Thanks for the decoy information as I just might be using the 2D bedded dear decoy in firearms season that I used succesfully for the first time this bow season.

Take care...
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I was reading up on a WMA here in Louisiana, and when hunting in a blind for gun season, you have to hang you vest, or a vest, out side your blind. It must be visible 360 degrees.

Mike.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
gogo

Post by gogo »

Personally I would never hunt in a blind during gun season. To many nuts out there, give some people a gun and they seem to lose their sences. Just to many close calls if it moves they shoot. Please be very carefull and keep an eye out, if you see someone make sure they know your there. Keep safe
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Sometimes we will hang a vest above in a tree. it can spook a deer though
TYE

Post by TYE »

Where I will be hunting is so remote there's nobody around other than our camp and dads cousins camp for miles and miles. Safest hunting I can imagine. Everyone in camp will know where my blind is. It's just a old skidder trail down from our camp. A few deer always travel down it every year. Nobody has the patience to sit there everyday to wait to one tho. I'm gonna stick to it this year and hopefully get the big buck I found the shed from. (the one side had 7 points) :)
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Marking your blind is a good idea . We use them in the muzzleloader season . we will put up a spare vest to mark our blind . On our decoys we have spray paint the antlers with Flou .orange to make them stand out