Help with excalibur Crossbow questions from experienced user

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rjgothrup

Help with excalibur Crossbow questions from experienced user

Post by rjgothrup »

I am getting ready to purchase my first crossbow. I know it will be an Excalibur. Looking for some comments from a few people who have been using EC products for hunting.

Thinking Equinox... Any reason not to buy the the fastest one available? The price difference is so minimal, it's not a factor, so the more speed the better right?

How are the EC scopes? Are they good quaility? Do they fog or ice up in cold conditions?

Varizone or the new Lumizone?

The boltcutter broadhead... I know EC wants to promote their product, but who has been shooting animals and what are the results. I have had too many problems compound bow hunting with broadheads not doing good damage and stopping the animal quickley.

Thanks for your opinions and advice! Looking forward to getting into crossbow hunting soon!
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Any excal is an awsome choice, I have the vortex and love it! The heavier bows are harder on your serving and need to be replaced more often,$$. Unless your after really BIG game its probably over kill. I've never used the boltcutters but heard lots of good stuff and will probably try them next year. Crispy
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I have the equinox and its a great bow. the trajectory is very flat and its an awesome bow with the combination of the thumbgrip but like crispy said it is hard on the servings.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend
excalibur is the best choice for a hunting crossbow IMHO

I have the Equinox,the bad boy.
I love it BUT if you plan on shooting allot then you'd better be in good shape.A day of cocking it will bring me down fast.

The bow is hard on string serving and everything else on your bow.
I make sure everything is checked for tightness often.

having said that knowing I have all that power is a great feeling.

I will be switching to a heavier shaft next.

No reason NOT to buy the equinox but make sure you look at the other offerings from Excalibur.
Whatever you choose will be great
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

Ok, what do you both mean by being hard on the serving?
Last edited by rjgothrup on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

Hey saxman, What do you mean heavier shaft? I am learning here...
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

since the draw weight is heavier than others there is more tension being exerted on the serving in the cocked position compard to lets say a 175 or 200 pound draw weight.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Vormax

Post by Vormax »

Started with a Vortex, then an Exomax, then a Phoenix.
Today I know, the Vortex was absolutely the right choice for me. But in the end I enjoy shooting all of them.

Target shooting , let's say 100 yards : big stuff >200 lbs - get ready to replace serving quite often, just heavier on parts (limbs, trigger,..)

Hunting : 150-175 lbs - enough power, smaller, serving lasts way longer, even more reliable

One bow for both : 200 lbs is a good compromise, Exocet, Vortex whatever you like better...

You might want to read this article :

http://cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/I ... iusta.html
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have owned 2 E'cet 200 plenty of power, i used to shoot awshucks Emax til he sold it. A beast its hard on everything including the shooter. It has the speed n power. I have owned 2 phoenix still have one . I have one Vixen & she is my main squeeze fer hunting. Does everything very well & a pleasure to shoot all day long.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

This is all really good info. Although I am surprised, I expected everyone to push the 350 fps, fastest bow you can get by EC.

I am just getting into this and I don't know what you mean by the "serving" will last longer... What is the serving? Is this a part that needs replaced over time?

Thanks!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

talking about the center serving that rides the rail & nok rests against when cocked. the higher pound models the faster they wear them out. miss vixen gets an easy 500 shots per serving
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
matt_mcco

Post by matt_mcco »

serving is part off the string that rest on the rail
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

Ok, so the 225 lbs. bow will wear out the serving faster. I assume this can be replaced? Any idea how much this cost? Is this a reason to not buy the 350 fps fast bow? There must be some advantage to the higher speed, can't you take longer shots and have more energy? Is the 200 lbs. 330 fps bow really fast enouph and can it really shoot far enouph?

I have not bought the bow yet and I want to shortly. I am tossed on the 200lb vs 225lb bow.

Thanks for all your comments!
Arkbow

Excalibur

Post by Arkbow »

Welcome to the forum;
ANY choice of excalibur will be a good one; I enjoy my exomax but since the phoenix arrived, that has been my go-to bow; all excals will get the job done and either scope will do as well but my vote is the varizone;

My next excal will be the vixen 2; sweet looking bow and it will be the first bow for my upcoming grandson who is now 5 years old; but I've got to "break" it in for him........ :lol: :lol:
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I was there- where you are. Now I have a Vortex.

It is still archery regardless- either bow will have it's limitations.

If it will be just for hunting, go Equinox. If you intend to spend time target shooting and hunting, get the Vortex, if you just want to target shoot and hunt sometimes, get the Vixen.

Hope that makes sense.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex