Help with excalibur Crossbow questions from experienced user

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rjgothrup

Re: Help with excalibur Crossbow questions from experienced

Post by rjgothrup »

Thanks for the reply... Really like the one on the right side of the truck. Is Dan Miller a company, sales for Excal, I don't recognize the name. Thanks!
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Dan Miller is the "Go To" man in the USA. Does not have a web site. Don't have his Ph # handy but someone will post it for you.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might as well throw in my 2¢. :lol:
You might start by looking at the arrow performance charts on this site.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/conten ... ballistics
You can see there isn't a HUGE difference between 300 & 350 fps, and even the Vixen can come close to 300fps with a minimum weight arrow.

All Excaliburs are similar in accuracy, so it's really a personal choice.
The heaviest draw weight Excalibur I've personally shot was the old 200# Exomag.
One range session and a few shots convinced me it was too much for my personal comfort. Hard to draw and a bit heavier to hold.

At that time I was shooting (and hunting with) a Vixen. I read so much of the "faster is better" talk that I decided I'd "upgrade" to an Exocet (the old 175# model). I soon found I practiced much less because it was more difficult to cock, and my home made dacron strings required re-serving much more frequently. As far as accuracy, it was close to the Vixen, but I believe the Vixen had a slight edge. Not saying the accuracy potential wasn't there, but the Vixen fit me better and velocity can magnify small arrow tuning problems.

One thing that is seldom mentioned is accuracy with broadheads! There the slower arrow has the advantage. It may be that you can find a broadhead that is accurate on a 350fps arrow, but the faster the arrow travels the more it will magnify any problems in the aerodynamics of the arrow/broadhead combination.
I did find a couple (NOT ALL) of the broadheads I shot from the Vixen at around 260fps were noticeably less accurate at 300fps. (Especially fixed blade heads)
Perhaps I could have done some "tuning" to the arrow/broadhead and fixed the accuracy, but I didn't bother as I had other heads that were still very accurate. I don't believe it was any fault of the bow, but rather that my arrow/broadhead combination had a slight "imbalance" that the velocity magnified.

I finally sold the Exocet and bought a Phoenix when they were offered and have been very happy with it. Shorter cocking stroke (very similar to the old model Vixens) and the speed/power of the old model Exocet. Best of both worlds to my way of thinking. :lol:

For me I think the lighter bows (Vixen & Phoenix) have all the power to shoot through any critter I'll ever hunt (even if I get an opportunity for bear, elk, or moose after I win the lottery). The trajectory is a minor issue with today's scopes available if you use a rangefinder.

A lot of advantages of the lighter/slower bows have been mentioned in other posts, and I happen to agree. I have never been in a hunting situation yet (in around 10 years of using Excaliburs) where I had to pass on a shot because I had a lighter model Excalibur. Perhaps with some game in some locations a few yards would make a huge difference, but where I hunt it's usually as easy to set-up to get a 20 yard shot as it would be to get a 40 yards shot. I've killed more deer with shots under 10 yards than I have with shots over 20 yards. :wink:

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned -
Any hunting model Excalibur has enough energy for any North American game animal.

The #1/most important component in archery hunting is the BROADHEAD!
It is designed to kill by causing bleeding! It MUST be sharp, and it MUST be placed where it inflicts a FATAL WOUND!
Whether it's traveling 250fps or 350fps makes little to no difference in it's lethality with a well placed shot and a very sharp broadhead.

The advantage of flatter trajectory MIGHT be somewhat offset by accuracy depending on the arrow/broadhead combination you choose. (again, not saying all broadheads are less accurate from faster bows, just saying it's a possibility to be considered.)
wabi
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

"The advantage of flatter trajectory MIGHT be somewhat offset by accuracy depending on the arrow/broadhead combination you choose. (again, not saying all broadheads are less accurate from faster bows, just saying it's a possibility to be considered.)"

I use 100g Spitfire expandable broadheads and they fly excatly the same as field points. 1 1/2 inch cut and great bloodtrail. I shoot a Exocet, 200lb.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

Help with string! New to crossbows, Excal is 1 week old. Changes string to the Flemish Dyna Flight. Suddenly we are not shooting consistent, kind of all over today, maybe it's us OR is this common while the new string is breaking in??? I have it set 1" back as recommended, it stretched and I re-set it to stay at 1"... Also, this string is so sticky and it comes off on everything, the limbs, the rail, my hands... is this normal???
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

What model did you go with? When my Exomax came the string serving was right at the upper reference mark(closest to scope). Now after a dry fire and several subsequent shots its right at 1 1/8" from where the rail and riser meet which is where most on here said theirs are..
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I have a Vortex and love it. If you look at the Excalibur site, "Selecting a Crossbow" its surprising that it only takes 30 foot pounds to pass through a deer. Also a lot of other good information. Speed seems to be the big seller anymore. Just my opinion but archery hunting should be relaxing, sitting and waiting, looking around and if you are in the right spot and have done your homework you'll make the shot regardless of the model. Whatever you select in the Excalibur line I can say that you will not be disapointed.
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

I got the Exocet 200. I sighted it in with the string that came on it and everything was working sweet. I then switched to the dynaflight (suppose to be the better product) string which I posted the questions and concerns about...
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

OK-I'm still using the string that comes with the Exomax. It stretched alittle but the serving still looks good. I think the key is waxing the serving often. Be sure that the rail(where the arrow rides) is clean.
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

So string brace height is set 1" from rail riser joint & arrows are not shooting well. New FFF string not accurate ? What arrows vanes ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

rjgothrup wrote:I got the Exocet 200. I sighted it in with the string that came on it and everything was working sweet. I then switched to the dynaflight (suppose to be the better product) string which I posted the questions and concerns about...
Don't know where you got 'the better product' idea. I've shot both quite a bit. The FFF gives you a few more fps but the factory has less shock to limbs. Trade offs, lol.

Do not dry fire that FFF! Congrats on the Ecet, my favorite platform.

There's a spray thingy that will clean that string so it doesn't turn your hands black, but I forget what one. Somebuddy will chime in.
"Eze 18:21"
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I am heading into my second season with an Exomax. Other than the stock design, we would be essentially shooting the same Crossbow.

I am shooting a textbook Excalibur set-up consisting of the Firebolt arrows and Boltcutter broadheads. I have spent a lot of time this summer trying various and new combinations of arrows, vanes, and Broadheads. But come October 1st this year, I will have a Firebolt loaded in my Exo with Boltcutter broadheads. The only alteration I have seen fit to enhance my set-up is to use Bohning Blazer Vanes. The bottom line is the set up is incredibly accurate. My hunting partner (who shoots an Equinox) uses the same arrow set-up as me,and we both commonly shoot sub-3 inch groups at 60 yds with Boltcutters or field tips. it doesn't matter which.
We have determined that Excalibur is the best, and they didn't short change us on anything they tout for thier equipment.
I took a nice buck last year at 34 yds (ranged). I hit him right where I aimed. The arrow blew through and stuck in a tree 5 yds past the point of impact on the deer. The broadhead was burried in the tree so deep i had to unscrew the arrow and leave the Boltcutter in the tree. It performed flawlessly! Bottom line: The factory recommended set-up is perfect as far as I'm concerned.
In the Wind.......
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

see4miles....... what string are you shooting?
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Where you located?

I shoot the Phoenix 175 because it still packs the punch to hunt but easier on the strings so I can shoot a lot.

Try some out, find someone or a shop that will let try a couple of different ones and go from there.

One isn't better than the other just fit the needs you require.
Tenpoint Matrix
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

rjgothrup wrote:Help with string! New to crossbows, Excal is 1 week old. Changes string to the Flemish Dyna Flight. Suddenly we are not shooting consistent, kind of all over today, maybe it's us OR is this common while the new string is breaking in??? I have it set 1" back as recommended, it stretched and I re-set it to stay at 1"... Also, this string is so sticky and it comes off on everything, the limbs, the rail, my hands... is this normal???

Even with some string stretch you should still be shooting consistantly I would think, even if your poi has changed. I wouldnt expect "kind of all over". I would check all fastners, especially the ones on the scope. Did you lock-tight the screws that mount the scope base? After a week of shooting these things may work themselves loose if not properly tightened/lock-tighted
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-