Shared Property Access

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Shared Property Access

Post by DanO »

I have permission to hunt a property along with a fellow I barely know. Last night I'm sitting in my self-climber and this fellow walks in. He didn't know I was even there. He climbs his stand about 80 yards away. With no bow in hand he proceeds to rattle and grunt. I guess he just wants to see what's around or something?

He doesn't wear any scent removers and no camo. He wears the same coveralls every time and the same tilley hat. I figure if he does this very often he's giving the deer the "hunter 101" course. They'll never get shot as this guy teaches them to associate his smell with grunting and rattling along with his stands. He claims he doesn't believe in all that "fancy stuff".

I'm going to decline hunting on that property. Anyone else have a guy like this to deal with?

Dan O.

P.S. Sorry for the rant!
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

All that fancy stuff like a BOW. :shock:
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

The deer will be wise to when he's there, perhaps if you sneak in when he's not the deer will think it's safe?
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
XCaddis

Re: Shared Property Access

Post by XCaddis »

Sigh...It seems to be the way in a lot of places in S. Ontario...I just keep looking for more and more permission. One day, I will have my own piece of land and will manage it for my own herd...free from that nonsense.

DanO wrote:I have permission to hunt a property along with a fellow I barely know. Last night I'm sitting in my self-climber and this fellow walks in. He didn't know I was even there. He climbs his stand about 80 yards away. With no bow in hand he proceeds to rattle and grunt. I guess he just wants to see what's around or something?

He doesn't wear any scent removers and no camo. He wears the same coveralls every time and the same tilley hat. I figure if he does this very often he's giving the deer the "hunter 101" course. They'll never get shot as this guy teaches them to associate his smell with grunting and rattling along with his stands. He claims he doesn't believe in all that "fancy stuff".

I'm going to decline hunting on that property. Anyone else have a guy like this to deal with?

Dan O.

P.S. Sorry for the rant!
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Please do not take this Wrong! That is why i bought my own land to Hunt!! {I only have 10 acres surronded by 300 acres} But it is pure heaven to know that you have Controll of what happens with your hunting area.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Saddly, there is nothing you can do but if I was a betting man, once the cold hits, he will be gone. If the property is decent, you may have to wait till late season to cash in. Never ever turn down permission. That guy could move, die or have his permission revoked.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I had a similar situation. A farmer invited me to hunt his property, but he mentioned that another fellow hunted it as well. I set up my climber in the dark one morning when, 5 minutes later I hear human footsteps coming my way. Turns out I was 15 yards away from the other fellow's stand! He was very gracious about it when I explained the whole thing to him, and we have remained acquaintances since.

Despite my "permission", I backed out of hunting that property. The other fellow had permission to hunt there before me, it was a very small farm, and there was no way that we could both hunt that farm without stepping on each other's toes from time to time.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
gogo

Post by gogo »

Bugs has it right. If a deer hunter wins the lottery hunting land will be bought. Your own private hunting land is a dream for us hunters.
Tom

Post by Tom »

All I can say is to work with the guy. Set up something that would notify him or yourself that that one or the other is in the bush. I have been in that situation myself many times. All it means is that you must be ready for plan B when you got to the site.

As for this hunter going into the woods like you said:
I would not worry too much about it. Deer associate smells to danger and if they smell this guy all the time and and they are not threatened by him, then they will not associate that smell with danger. Just like the farmer in the field on his tractor, deer are usually not scared of him, or hikers walking down a normal hiking trail, deer will usually just side step the hiker.

As for the coveralls and tilly hat, ....... well there are more deer killed each year from hunters in coveralls (not sure about the tilly hat :lol: ) then the commercial companies want you to believe.

Just try to work with the hunter, who knows you might gain another hunting partner or friend.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
DanO

Post by DanO »

Tom: I always have a plan B if I know he's in the bush. He doesn't have a Plan B. Well I think he does but it includes getting rid of me.

The idea of hunting later in the season is a good idea and I still hunt spring turkey there as well. He doesn't as of now.

I think I'll use his stands and his scent as decoys. I'm sure the deer take his activities into account as they move about the property. That helps me in many ways. I just didn't realize he was so busy educating them. He won't see me again I can tell you that. I'll be where he isn't.

Dan O.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

What ied do is hunt way down wind if hes making all that comotion and mature deer will circle him down wind usually the wind is out of the west so ied place ur stand 100-200yards NE of his stand as a mature bucks tries to figure out what the hell is going on and does his circle to wind him you will be sitting ther on the fringe whil he is distracted with the tilly hat guy ready and waiting. Thats what ied do, also deer will begin to manover around his location and again usually there is a W wind so just set way down wind iam sure it will work out :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
DanO

Post by DanO »

My thoughts exactly, Jamie! That would be satisfying!

Dan O.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

:lol: :lol: yup also when you shoot the big boy make sure you drag him past mr tilly hat on ur way out of the bush ***givem a wave :lol: :lol: and a thank him making all the racket and pushing the deer for you :D :lol: :lol:
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

DanO wrote:Tom: I always have a plan B if I know he's in the bush. He doesn't have a Plan B. Well I think he does but it includes getting rid of me.

The idea of hunting later in the season is a good idea and I still hunt spring turkey there as well. He doesn't as of now.

I think I'll use his stands and his scent as decoys. I'm sure the deer take his activities into account as they move about the property. That helps me in many ways. I just didn't realize he was so busy educating them. He won't see me again I can tell you that. I'll be where he isn't.

Dan O.
We aren't all as lucky as you Dan...can't wait until I get to retire :-)
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
barnett

Post by barnett »

IF you can find a generally area where he hunts and if he wears the same stinkin old clothing or what ever he wears, hunt about 200 plus yards from him. It might pay off in your favor. The deer might pay more attention to him and not you. Ive read this in hunting magizines.