Equinox to Strykeforce back to Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Equinox to Strykeforce back to Equinox

Post by mchurch »

I'll admit.. I was kinda tempted by the increased speed and more compact design of the Bowtech Strykeforce. The Bowtech Strykeforce in many ways is an engineering marvel. It definitely has some neat features and was fun to shoot. I can only afford to have one crossbow at a time. For a short period of time my only x-bow was the Strykeforce. I hope this post is not interpreted as company bashing or model bashing. There were some very specific reasons I wanted to go back to Excal and was willing to lose a significant amount of money to do so. I ordered the SF through a reputable dealer. When the x-bow arrived I noticed that there was a small clip missing on on one of the axles. I contacted the dealer and he told me these were really important. He promptly sent me a replacement. I looked the bow over and noticed that these small clips were all over the bow. That made me a little nervous. The bow was also really heavy in my opinion. Here in California there are many situations where you might need to carry your rig for extended distances. That was frustrating. There are speed nocks near both cams. One days I was shooting and noticed that there were sliding all over the place. I contacted my dealer and he said that they were more than just for speed, they absorbed some of the shock and protected the cams. He said I could try to clamp them close to where they had been or he could send me a new string. You MUST have special bowpress for any little thing. That also made me nervous. To ship it to a delaer for repairs would have been really expensive. Another time when I was shooting the x-bow it took a tumble off of my chevy colorado while I was getting my arrows. The bow flipped over and went scope side down. It loosed some screws apparently and the part where the scope attached and housed the string hooks would shift up and down about 1/16 inch.
There were alo two metal knobs where you attached the rope cocking aid. Without them it would be virtually impossible to cock. They had a tendancy to work themselves loose when the x-bow was being shot. I lock tighted the heck out of them and only one would not come out. The x-bow is designed so you don't want to lock tight them in. You need to unscrew them to remove a part of the stock to tighten the srews that got loose when the x-bow fell and the unit where the scope bolted to became loose. I could honestly go on and on. I was willing to take a 400 plus dollar loss just to get rid of the darn thing. I now have a 2009 Equinox and have a wild pig hunt scheduled Nov 21. I will keep you posted.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm glad you seen the light. You'll be more than pleased with the new Excal.

Rich
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

An Expensive learning curve, but I am sure you will Love that Equinox and its performance and Reliability!!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
PFerris

Post by PFerris »

I bought an Equinox to replace my aging PSE Firefox, was a good bow for a long time and still performs well. I only used it to hunt with as I will with the Equinox.

The primary reason I went to an Equinox is Excaliburs simple but well built design. Less moving parts = less stuff to go wrong.

I believe an Equinox as a hunting bow is hard to beat for the money and support that comes with. Have a good time and luck on your hunt!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I went with Excalibur because, " Less was More ! " :lol:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Excals:

Simple
Strong
Speedy

What more could you ask for?

Maybe great customer service and an incredible forum? :P :lol:
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

To me
There is a differance between a really neat looking crossbow with all the frills and a hunting crossbow.

I would LOVE to have a Scorpyd but would not trade my Equinox for it.

Sorry about all your trouble,welcome back to simple excellence
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

mchurch you learned about a high speed compound CB. They will all do those things its under alot of stress. You went to the equinox as its solid tuff as nails maybe some slower but will hold up through the yrs. Plus you can maintain it! :lol: I have the vixen cause i like even less things to maintain
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

If I was stranded on a desert island I would want Tiffany Lakosky.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome back!

Sax, I've shot the Scorpyd and it's a very nice bow! Very quiet, balanced, fast, and with a nice light trigger. But I have to admit all the "extra" parts with potential to wear would make me a bit uncomfortable after a while.

BTW, after chasing it for a few shoots this summer, a Vixen outshot the Scorpyd at the last 3D. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I forgot to mention that I had less than 100 shots through the SF :evil:
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

M church : I bet it was really easy and fast to sell; I understand your concerns with the complex compound bows ... I am concerned about my other bow and its potential for problems also... I shoot my phoenix almost exclusively
dk
life guard at the gene pool
Arkbow

Lesson learned

Post by Arkbow »

Companies are putting out some good bows but Excalibur stands alone; I would be willing to put my excals against anything made; alot of crossbows are getting to be like modern day compounds, one needs a Phd to work on the crazy things; glad to see ya come back home;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;