"Permissions"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

"Permissions"

Post by ninepointer »

For those of us who do not own our own hunting land, "permissions" from landowners are like gold. None of us like to give up "permissions" of course.

However, I know a hunter around here (a crusty sort of fellow) who goes around collecting "permissions" like my 6-year old collects Hot Wheels cars. Like most of us, this fellow focus his efforts on one, two, perhaps three properties. But unlike most of us, he ties-up access to a dozen or more farms, some of which he has not hunted in years.

This really makes things tough on all those new hunters who are trying to find a place to hunt. But this crusty ol' guy couldn't give a darn about younger hunters, new hunters or the future of our pass-time.

What I'm suggesting is that, if a person has all the hunting access they can realistically handle, its not really fair to hardly hunt a property, but still keep it tied-up "just in case".

Sorry for the soap box :wink:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
gogo

Post by gogo »

Hunting land in our area is next to impossible to find as you well know. I agree with you if someone has many places to hunt perhaps he should share some hunts or at least let someone hunt a piece of land that he is not using. Letting someone hunt for a few hours would not hurt him, and someone would be thrilled at the chance.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Good post. I know I guy like that as well. When you ask the farmers they say they have a hunter already but he hasn't been around "in a while".

I'd suggest you have a responsibility to recind your hunting permission so the farmer can open the opportunity to another hunter.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

Good post iam in this situation i began hunting with my fathernlaw he has permission to hunt various properties witch iam now allowed to hunt . Ihave a few buddies i have accuired over the yrs that i want to bring out with me ( i have like 15 stands) my fathernlaw is one of those grouchy old guys who doesent want someone else shootin his big one!! :?

I still sneak a few guys in with me here and there :D and i have put up numerous stands of my own in the same bushes since i now have permission from the farmers. He aint to happy bout it but wada ya do. I have mentioned in other posts in the locations iam hunting there are deer everywear i cant shootem all i have said this to him but his concern witch i understand is onse you let one person in then he brings a buddy and well we all know how it goes (this has happened with many fishing holes of mine ) so i do understand anyone that i have taken to my stands only go when i invite and they would never go without me (this was understood when they were invited) Hunting is much funner for me when i have someone out threr with me :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

We have a lot of public hunting land but that's pretty much crawling with people, not my idea of hunting
Guess we are lucky up here as you can still get away in public hunting land and not see anyone for days at a time.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Canabow wrote:
We have a lot of public hunting land but that's pretty much crawling with people, not my idea of hunting
Guess we are lucky up here as you can still get away in public hunting land and not see anyone for days at a time.
I have 110,000 acres of NWR land adjoining my farm, and I've never seen a hunter in it on this side.
Grizz
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I've given up on "permissions" around here. The rural areas around my place are antis. All farms are posted no hunting no trespassing. They've sold a lot of their woodlots for yuppies' estates and those yuppies are now trying to make the whole area non-hunting or at least can the one week shotgun only hunt. They already succeded in killing the rifle hunt and getting the 2 week season down to 1.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

no offence to some city folk but if ya dont like what goes on in the country go back to the city dont try and change whats been aroud for thousands of years just because u feel deer have fellings and should be treated equal as humans. This is a touch subject for me so many people are on this rave with equal rights for animals. If thats the cas then we should start throwing animals in jail when the crap on the ground for indecent exposher :lol: Funny how its viewed killing poor inacent WILD deer, but on the other had people eat hamburgers from domestacated cows you tell me whats cruler killing a animal that has no understanding of anything or killing a animal that we are able to walk up to and pet (domestacated) If it aint human its game!!!!!!!!!!! :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

deer jamie wrote:no offence to some city folk but if ya dont like what goes on in the country go back to the city dont try and change whats been aroud for thousands of years just because u feel deer have fellings and should be treated equal as humans. This is a touch subject for me so many people are on this rave with equal rights for animals. If thats the cas then we should start throwing animals in jail when the crap on the ground for indecent exposher :lol: Funny how its viewed killing poor inacent WILD deer, but on the other had people eat hamburgers from domestacated cows you tell me whats cruler killing a animal that has no understanding of anything or killing a animal that we are able to walk up to and pet (domestacated) If it aint human its game!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Huh???? :shock: Were you perhaps responding to a different thread?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

On all the properties I have permission on, I get around to them all during the course of the season. Some are farther away than others and all of them are at least an hour away from me. I haven't had a lot of luck securing permission closer to home (Kitchener, Ontario) as I get the same line over and over: "Guys already hunt here," or "No one hunts here because I have had trouble with hunters in the past."

If I'm not going to hunt a property, I let the landowner know so if someone else stops in to ask, they can let them at it. It's not right to just collect properties for the sake of collecting properties and then only exclusively hunt a couple.
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

I am very lucky with respect to hunting areas. I purchased my Grandfathers farm, 140 acres that is bounded by crop land that is in my family, my cousins work it. I have made my place the refuge, it is thick, and used mostly as bedding areas, with hard mast trees as the core. I have 40 more chinquapins on order, 20 Aleganies and 20 Native Georgia type. May put in some Douglas Chestnuts next year, but they take years to grow large enough to bear, but then the kids and grand kids will have them.

I hunt my place, and on the cousins land, they want the herd kept in check.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter of TFA
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

ninepointer wrote:
deer jamie wrote:no offence to some city folk but if ya dont like what goes on in the country go back to the city dont try and change whats been aroud for thousands of years just because u feel deer have fellings and should be treated equal as humans. This is a touch subject for me so many people are on this rave with equal rights for animals. If thats the cas then we should start throwing animals in jail when the crap on the ground for indecent exposher :lol: Funny how its viewed killing poor inacent WILD deer, but on the other had people eat hamburgers from domestacated cows you tell me whats cruler killing a animal that has no understanding of anything or killing a animal that we are able to walk up to and pet (domestacated) If it aint human its game!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Huh???? :shock: Were you perhaps responding to a different thread?
NO! Re: permission issues there are many different issues when it comes to permission on property. Difficulitys with posted propertys ect i was merly comenting on how difficult it is to get permession kinda resp to phoenix-toms responce i guess i got a little of topic sorry bout that :wink: :oops:
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I wish I was the crusty old bastard that had all the farms!!! Nothing like exclusive rights to a couple different places to nail a biggun.

I had a weird experience the other day. We had a farmer who is renting a property tell us he would like to have some deer removed by archers. My buddy and I went ot have a look at said property and there were stands everywhere. just as we were leaving, a fellow showed up (with a scowl on his face) and informed us that he had permission from the onwer. After a little digging, we found out that he is full of chit! The fellow that he claims gave him permission owns the next property over and he is squatting the land.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

wana good laugh put a tree stand 5 feet from his and sit and wait he he :D he ied love to see his face :lol: or ask the farmer if you can take the stand down (leave it at the base of the tree ) he will get the hint :!:
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

deer jamie wrote:wana good laugh put a tree stand 5 feet from his and sit and wait he he :D he ied love to see his face :lol: or ask the farmer if you can take the stand down (leave it at the base of the tree ) he will get the hint :!:
Yep, one landowner I deal with told me to take down any stands I see that aren't mine or his (I know where his are) and leave them with him with a note on the tree stating where the owner can come get them.

He has taken down two and no one ever showed up to claim them.

We have used them now in other (better) locations for two years. :lol: