retrieval of deer in Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

retrieval of deer in Ontario

Post by one shot scott »

I surfed the mnr site for an hour trying to find out the laws of retrieval of game. Specifically deer. :evil: Cant find anything except that is illigal to abandon game :roll:

This came up about a week ago, but I think the fellow asking was an American. I am interested in knowing what my actions can be regarding a neighbour to the property I have permission to hunt. Is it illegal for him not to allow me to retreive a deer on his land?? I think it is, but I would love to have the specific law printed in my pocket when/if need be. Anyone know where to find this info?
Thanks for your help.
gogo

Post by gogo »

If worse comes to worse you can call or e-mail the mnr. At least legaly you will know your rights.
Ottawa Valley Lad

Post by Ottawa Valley Lad »

Call your local mnr and advise that you have tracked the deer to the property line, but the neighbor won't grant access. I am sure the CO will take you in to get it.
michiganman

michigan

Post by michiganman »

this is not going to help you,but in michigan you have no riight retriving your game or looking for it with out permission.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
roland

Post by roland »

I believe that this is also the same in ontario, if you can't get permission to look for your deer then you can't look for it.
Kelley

Re: michigan

Post by Kelley »

michigan man wrote:this is not going to help you,but in michigan you have no right retrieving your game or looking for it with out permission.
Same here in IL. You have to have 'Landowners Permission' to go on his property for any reason. Big Trespassing fines here.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks for the help guys!, Bugs: this was my understanding also. I have already taken steps to avoid the deer from going on said property such as moving the stand to the opposite side. I guess I just dont understand why someone would not allow a hunter to recover a kill. I understand and respect his choice to not allow a hunter on his land. Thats ok, but to let a carcass rot rather than let it get picked up seems silly. oh well..... I will do what ever I can and remain civil.
DanO

Post by DanO »

There was huge problem a few years ago locally when a hunter asked permission to locate a wounded deer. The landowner grudgingly allowed passage but them complained in a letter to the local paper. She was surprized the hunter would carry a gun and then annoyed when he didn't drag an animal out. She assumed he was really hunting not looking for a wounded animal. Obviously she doesn't understand the process very well.

I wondered about searching without a weapon so it's obvious you're not hunting but what do you do if the animal is still very much alive?
:shock:
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Guys...

I work for at O.P.P. Communications Centre in London. We provided radio comms for the MNR in the area. When I'm back at work on Wednesday I'll call one of the Conservation Officers and ask him.

From a police stand point we would not get involved. There are very few officers that are up on the regulations pertaining to fish and wildlife. They would simply tell the person to contact the MNR. From a Tresspass To Property Act standpoint the property owner has the right to refuse the person from going onto their land.

If everyone can wait until Wednesday I'll have an answer.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks londonDave! its nice to know before hand! Good info to know.
michiganman

game laws

Post by michiganman »

in the state of michigan it is kind of the same way.for tresspassing while hunting the dnr is called for game laws.the actual law states you have no right on another persons land without written permission.when i checked out ohio law,for hunting ,it said i had to carry written permission with me at all times,with fines up to $2500 for tresspassing.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
chessy

Post by chessy »

YES he can stop you from finding your animal.. if he wants he can look for it himself..... we were told years ago from a co if we shoot a deer and it travels on a nebours proporty and he will not let us go find it we were to call him and he would talk to the person and if he did not lest us go or he himself go look for it he would look into charging him for letting game animal spoil...
but all the owner has to realy do is walk the land and say did not find it ..

2 years ago a guy shot a deer and it ended up on a nebours yard he went to get it off the front yard and the woman stopped him and said that is now my deer he called the cops and the warden and she got to keep the animal he was sol
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago, the land owner wouldn't let us retrieve his deer. We went to the police and they told us there was nothing they could do, he has the right to deny access.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

This is unfortunate news.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

the land owner does not have to give you or a co permission to retrieve the animal. the only chance something illegal could come up is if you decide to go get the deer anyways. 100% within a landowners rights to deny access.

this is why it is a really bad idea to be hunting near property lines...