This just is not the season I expected.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bow4it

This just is not the season I expected.

Post by bow4it »

There is still a few weeks left here in PA, but I only saw 5 deer this season. I got the first doe and finally shot a 7 point 2 days ago. I passed the 7 point on 2 other days, but I was not seeing the deer this season and decided to take him. Last season I lost count at 42 deer and I use the same trees. I guess the deer got smarter.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

If you were from the U.P I'd say you had wolves come in. Sometimes deers routes change. I have seen several times where a post/stand has been great for several years and then it just dies.

Could someone else be cutting you off?

Congrats on a successful season even if it was slower than you are used to.

Long
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Im not seeing as many deer either, not even on the trail cams. Its been a very slow season hope it picks up soon. Good luck to you!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its been a slow fer eyeballing tick toters fer sure. Like you i had 2 Doe's come by my stand i took one. Then i took a scrub 4 pt from same climber & tree. Thats it all i have laid my eyes on so fer. They will move real soon of that i am positive!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

You're having a great season compared to mine. I just returned from another 4 days hunting northern Michigan. Total this year of 9 days in the woods and I've not seen a deer yet. Had a pack of 7 yotes around me Thursday right at dark. They came within 20 yds of me but were on the move and didn't present a shot. I have over 50 Whitetail bucks to my credit so its not for lack of experiance. There is sign but no daytime movement yet. Going back up Friday for 6 days hopefully the bucks will be following some does past one of my stands. Good luck to everyone.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Same here in Central IL. I had over 100 deer come within bow range last year. Harvested 4(some may have been counted several times on different days). No big bucks. This year I have harvested doe and passed 7 small bucks. I am about to the point that "If its Brown Its Down". I have my stand in the center of a 50 yard funnel that has 7 major trails coming through it all within shooting range. Still lots of crops in the fields so they may be in them. Less than 25% of beans and corn harvested. Lots of rain here in last 2 months.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a game cam on my feeder which is at a food plot.
So far this year most of the deer activity has been nocturnal.
I have managed to tag a couple (doe & button buck) for the meat, but the nice bucks are not showing themselves during the daylight hours - yet. :wink:

I think the weather we're getting now may lead to a cooling trend and with the rut approaching it may bring them out during legal shooting hours.
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Seems like a slow start everywhere. But rut is upon us, and your sightings may increase!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

2 deer killed and we're not quite out of October. I'd say you are doing alright :D
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have Not seen a Buck in a month where I am in Tennessee! {I think they all went to visit Mike P In Ohio :lol:} So you have a 7 Point Down Not bad in my book!! I have 2 Freezer Does but still chaseing Big Boy!!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Cant see any here either in Ne Pa, Seems like they vanished. Saw 12 deer in 4 weeks, No shooter bucks, 2 scrubs, 10 doe, Hunted every am and pm except for the rainy days. Too much doe season is reducing the herd very badly. It seems to get lousyer every year!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck, Stosh
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

The weather is messing with them in SW PA. I've been out a few more times and 75 degree weather and a south wind is not what we should be having here.

I'll be trying again on Tuesday. Colder, light rain, and wind comming out of the nnw. That's way more ideal for my situation.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
saxman

Post by saxman »

Consider yourself lucky.
I have not SEEN a single deer :cry:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
gogo

Post by gogo »

Can't complain here in our part of Niagara seeing deer just out of range but we are seeing deer. Something weird in West Virginia. Drove through the whole state in October, north to south, then south to north. Only saw a dozen or so small does and no road kill. Usually see 100-150 deer and road kill every few miles.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the weather just hasnt been good for us on the east coast. Its raining or warm. Its rained every weekend since the season has been in. The only decent week was the 2nd week of season when highs were low 60, but that only lasted 2 days.

Next week is looking good. Deer respond to weather. Ive had the worst seasonin years but im not giving up till the end :D