Rage BH's will never again ride on my rail...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

Post by warningshot »

that sucks ...was thinking of giving them a try but lately heard too much bad about them ....i would send them a email and a link to this post as well...
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

There is just to much to go wrong on a Rage for me to use it. Granted the massive blood trail is tempting. :(
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

:( Looks like Murphy's Law struck again! :(

Sounds like you did everything you could reasonable do to recover the deer should it have bled out. Probably OK and will be a much smarter deer as a result. Don't beat yourself up over what happened. Betcha the incident also made you a smarter hunter.

Take care...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am sorry that you lost the Buck due to a mal-function of mech. BH. I never had any trouble out of the steelheads i used. Well leave those Rage one's to someone else.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yes, it is important to check the seating before loading them on deck. For me the Rage 3 has preformed perfectly. So far they have put 7 out of 7 shots on deer in the freezer. All with huge blood trails and very short distances till falling over.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have had the rage's in my hand a couple of times this year in the stores. Almost bought them. But always put them down for the slick tricks. You can wound with any broadhead, but mechanicals always make me think twice since the my first wounded deer was with a mechanical.
Every deer ive shot with the slicks Ive recovered. But that may have to do with luck. (knock on wood!)
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I am sorry to hear that you lost the buck due to the broadhead. I have a friend who shoots them out of his Exomax and he loves them. He is always checking the "O" ring. I shoot the NAP Spitfires out of my Exocet and They have performed flawlessly to date and leave a pretty good hole.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I have had problems with Rage. Some have great success with them. If they work properly, you can't beat them. I have decided to go back to fixed broadheads to keep things simple.
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

I killed my buck this year with a 2 blade rage. He traveled about 60 yards and left a very good blood trail. The blades can be knocked loose from the O ring very easy. You have to check when loading to see that they are ok.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

TNXBow wrote: I have decided to go back to fixed broadheads to keep things simple.
I was due to buy some new broadheads before my trip back home to Indiana to hunt with my brother this fall.

There I stood, in Bass Pro, with the shiny package of Rage mechanicals in my hand, thinking of all the rave reviews members of this forum have given them.

I couldn't do it.

I didn't do it.

I left with one dozen Slick Trick 125's.

The one I fired at a HUGE old doe did just what I expect a broadhead to do. It flew straight, it flew true, and it flew through.

Might a Rage have done that too?

It might have ... seems like many do.

It only takes one to disappoint you.

I'll stick with the Slicks ... or any other fixed.

I know ... call me old fashioned. :oops: :P :lol:
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sorry to hear that planter. That's the reason I have not tried the Rage, the O-ring. I still think they are a great broadhead and are effective when used properly, just as Norm pointed out.

Once we decide to put a broadhead on the end of our arrow, it's our responsibility to make sure they are properly prepared. It could have been something other than human error too. I twig for example.

Bottomline . . .it happens . . .good luck next time out buddy!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mattones

Post by mattones »

I will be using one tomorrow i hope :D
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

He will live they are tuff as hell
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
bradm

Post by bradm »

I recently harvested a buck on the 29th and it was a perfect shot and the rage put it down in 35 yards.

Two days before I was tempted to shoot a spike after only seeing doe's. I checked the rage and the blades were slowly moving out of the o-ring. as I remember they were supposed to click into place.

I immediatley put that arrow back in the quiver and grabed the next, checked that the blades clicked and was good to go. I had to replace the o-ring twice before I was able to feel that the blades were clicking into place. Therefore Always check that there is a click, therefore you can be sure of no broadhead failure.
Theres a place for all gods animals, Right beside the mashed potatoes and gravy.
huntone

Post by huntone »

Checking a "O" ring is a extra step I don't want to do.

Spending extra time with my broadheads, spinning, and matching them
with arrows, is something I do before I'm ready to hunt with them. When I'm done
with my arrows, I'm done and.....Thats all folks.

I will stick with my Slicktricks as they did the job well. :D
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount