Six years ago...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DirtyGun

Six years ago...

Post by DirtyGun »

I'm sitting here lamenting the fact that the archery season has closed for a week across most parts of Ontario. Some would think that another season has just begun, being the one-week long controlled hunt in Southern Ontario and in some parts of the North, a two week long open hunt.

But, for me, the coming week is one I spend out of the woods. The reason for this is, for six years I have been carrying around a lot of 'what ifs' and mental baggage regarding an event that forever changed my hunting life and gave me even more reason to be vigilent regarding firearms and hunter safety.

Six years ago at this time, two friends and I were preparing to hunt a series of properties outside of Stouffville, Ontario during the controlled hunt. We had all met during the archery season a few years prior and had become good friends, exchanging scouting finds and sharing the properties between us. The plan was to still hunt the properties, which was not my preferred method, being a sitter. But, I was interested in the three of us being able to keep an eye on what was coming and going in all directions as we slowly moved across the properties, so I agreed to hunt in this manner.

On opening morning, we met outside the gate of the Easternmost property, as the wind was forecast to be blowing in from the West. We donned our blaze orange and upon legal time, uncased and loaded our shotguns. We then started to move, 50 yards or so at a time, stopping to grunt/bleat and wait for any deer sightings for ten minutes or so and then moving on.

Through my binoculars I could see groups of other hunters 'pushing' the bush on other properties. I didn't really have any concerns, since the only individuals who had permission to hunt the series of properties we planned to hunt were with me.

At approximately 8:00 a.m., we entered into one of the larger bushlots, which ran adjacent to a cut corn field and a bedding area. We planned on staying approximately 40 yards deep into the woods, which gave us a good view of the field and the bedding area. We continued with our original still-hunting technique, only one of my partners had decided to add a little rattling to the mix.

We moved along and stopped to call. Just as we crouched down, I spotted a doe on the field edge feeding, directly in front of us, at approximately 50 yards. I asked my partners who wanted to shoot and both of them told me to take the shot.

As I raised up and brought my gun to my shoulder, I could see hunters in blaze orange on the other side of the field, which would put them 100 yards from the deer and 150 yards from us at this section. I lowered my gun immediately and my partners asked what was wrong. I informed them that there were hunters in the line of fire and they both looked at each other with the common 'f'n tresspassers' look.

The doe had obviously taken notice as well, as she had raised her head and was looking at the other group.

I was standing up and should have been in clear view of the hunters beyond the deer they were obviously looking at. I raised my binoculars to my eyes to get a closer look at them and the next thing I saw will always be in my memory. Two of the hunters raised their guns to their shoulder and fired.

Not many people have ever actually heard the 'whizz' of a projectile flying close to them. I have. The slug impacted a tree 10 feet to my left and eight feet behind me. I hit the ground and my partners and I immediately started yelling at the shooters. I distinctly remember using more expletives in a tirade than I ever have in all of my life. The two shots that were fired were the only ones that were fired. The deer, she lived to see another day, as far as we know.

When we were sure the other group wasn't going to shoot again, we all stood up. The other group did not run, or try to hide. All five of them stood around looking rather dumbfounded.

I began to walk toward the field edge, toward the other group. After a few steps, I told my partners to unload their guns and leave the actions open. I actually had to stop in order to unload mine. My hands were shaking so bad that I actually had to concentrate on what I was doing and I dropped all three shells that came out on the ground because I simply couldn't hold onto them.

As we approached the other group, one of the guys said: "We're sorry, we didn't see you there."

I questionned how someone could miss three hunters in full blaze orange jackets and hats even if only one of them was standing up and two of them were crouching since I could clearly see where we were from where we were standing now. No one had an answer.

We then informed the group that they were trespassing, as we were the only three people who had permission to hunt the property. They seemed to know this, even though they tried to make up some excuse about getting lost, or turned around and not knowing exactly where the property lines were.

As we all simmered down in the cool Fall air, I turned to the two men I knew were the shooters and gave them a quick lecture on firearms safety. Each time they looked away or looked to become 'glazed over', I reminded them that I was one of the guys they had almost shot and that I deserved their attention.

We parted ways after that and we informed that group how they could go about getting back to where they belong and what lines to follow so they stay there. As for me, my hunt was done. I had nightmares for weeks and sometimes, I still do. I know that I have spoken to some servicemen who say they still jump when a gun goes off and that they distinctly remember the sounds of bullets whizzing by their heads. I can't imagine what it feels like to have someone shoot at you with the intent to kill you...but I sure know what it feels like to not be able to shoot back.

I have entered the woods one more time during a gun season since that time, three years ago, after my Grandfather died. At that time, it was a bit of therapy to get out and enjoy doing something that we enjoyed doing together. I even shot a little buck that year. But it was also very nerve racking to be out in the woods during a gun season.

I haven't gone out since.

Some day, I hope I can get over the fact that my friends and I nearly became possible casualties in a hunting accident that was easily avoidable.

Be safe out there folks...once you pull that trigger...you can't call the bullet back.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Perfect timing DirtyGun! Sorry to hear about the close call. That would certainly put fear into anyone.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

DirtyGun - Good story. Good reminder for us all. You should do as I do when it comes to rifle season. Stay out of the woods and sit on a fence row. I see all my deer from fence rows during gun season. I don't even use my tree stands during gun season. Hope someday you can enjoy this season as well as bow.

I am looking forward to this am. First year since I bought my new 243 Savage to use on whitetails. Bought it strickly for the lower recoil. When deer season over line it back up with 65 grains for coyotes.

Good luck to all rifle hunting this week. I worked all weekend just to clear a couple days of work so I can rifle hunt.
Arkbow

Reminder

Post by Arkbow »

Good post;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
wabi

Post by wabi »

It can get crazy during the gun season. Here in Ohio it comes in late enough to allow me to usually fill the freezer before it starts.
I hunt private property and try to stick to the center of that property during gun season, but that's no guarantee I'll be safe from other hunters intruding. I go out a few times, but I restrict my movement to daylight hours. I usually hunt from my ground blind and hang a blaze orange vest in the tree above it.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great story, thanks for sharing.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I would be lying if I said I never have dreams about the intensity of combat. I still do. But the frequency becomes less and less over the course of many decades. But it affects my life still to this day. My buddy Shrader has never really left South East Asia. It consumed him.

I seldom if ever hunt the gun season here in Ohio. We spend most of our time protecting our farm property lines from the many hunters who set up about ten yards from our fences with the only shooting views being the ones onto our property. We have had several instances of hunters killing deer on our side of the fence. We even go so far as to join with our neighbor farms and hire a local gentleman to patrol the property lines for the duration of the season.

Any time your life is threatened becomes a life altering event. It can take years to overcome the feelings of dread and fear.

I am comfortable with firearms. But the "thump, thump, thump" of helicopter blades heard overhead sends me into a cold sweat. Little wonder I hate that contraption that Becker has.

Dirty Gun I completely understand your feelings. And I encourage you to overcome them. I am certain you can once again enjoy yourself during the gun season.

Give it a chance.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Mike P wrote:Dirty Gun I completely understand your feelings. And I encourage you to overcome them. I am certain you can once again enjoy yourself during the gun season.

Give it a chance.
Oh I hope to. I'm not uncomfortable around firearms, I'm just uncomfortable with them possibly being in the hands of an idiot who is willing to take a shot at something without checking all the variables first.

I shoot everything: rifles, shotguns, handguns, crossbows, compound bows, long bows, recurves and I love shooting...so it's tough for me to not be out this week with a shotgun or muzzleloader, but, I just can't do it yet.

When I do...I'll be the guy in full blaze orange...hat, gloves, jacket, pants and boots if I can find'em. :wink:

It takes a mere few seconds to check the surrounding area, including behind the target, before lifting the gun to your shoulder. Don't get caught up in the excitement and adrenaline too much that you may make a mistake. That's the most important message I can send to anyone.
catcher

Post by catcher »

I have had a similar experince myself. Except mine was with buck shot. And without highjacking your thread I know what you are going through. I now hunt mainly by myself and during the gun hunt I am in flo orange from head to toe. I always tell my wife if I get shot with this much orange on that it is not a mistake it was murder.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I was sitting in my stand this morning listen to all the spray and pray boys. I hate gun season.

Keeping trespasssers off a few properties is a full time job.
I come by my name honestly.
gogo

Post by gogo »

Same here I hate the shotgun season, had a close call years ago myself. Just bow hunting for me, more of a challenge.
hawg hunter

bullets whizzing

Post by hawg hunter »

If you ever heard that sound of bullets whizzzing around you, you never forget. Thats one reason for hunting with a xbow, not so likely to return fire out of pure reflexes. sometimes you don't sleep at all for a very long time.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I personally believe that every hunter should be required to pass a hunter safety course every year prior to purchasing their hunting license. It's a wake up call to even the most seasoned hunters. Since Tyler took the course at age of 7, we go back and take it together every year.

I'll never forget what my dad said when he handed me an Ithaca .410 single barrel, " once you pull the trigger, that's it! That bullet is not coming back". You guys be careful out there :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
sidewinder

Post by sidewinder »

Excellent post. I stay clear of the bush during the shotgun season. I to was very close to a fatal shooting in the Agreement forest in southern Ontario about ten years ago. Helicopters ,sirens,police,ambulance. I will never forget the helicopter overhead. For a spilt second i thought it may have involved my brother. Horrible stuff. Cant undrstand how you could mistake someone in blaze orange for a deer.

Sidewinder
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

It is a sad fact that hunting mishaps happen in the first place . The same can be said how can someone shoot even with their bow without IDENTIFYING their target .
We are in such a fast paced environment driven by rewards ie. the biggest buck, the first deer in the group , the most deer by a group .