Deer Story Chapter Two

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Deer Story Chapter Two

Post by Mike P »

Deer Story

Chapter 2 The Drink

We sat at a small round card table on four folding chairs. I am sure it must have looked just ridiculous. We are all fairly large individuals and Becker is just an outright monster. I suppose it must have looked like four normal adults sitting at a table and chairs meant for a child's playhouse. We were having one last beer at the host farm before heading home.

We watched every buck presented on the screen by the cardiologist. But I doubt anyone in the room could remember what any of them looked like save for the first buck. I think they should have reversed the order and saved the giant buck for last. That way the other bucks would have received some attention. But that ship had sailed. No one would leave that room remembering any information at all. We would all leave the room remembering one thing only, and that was the outlandish set of antlers on a buck named Bean Field Bob.

I didn't like the name given to the buck at all. I thought it was well below his stature. Why a buck that magnificent should be named Thor or Hercules or some other names that connotate strength, size and nobility. But the doctors that own the farm claim they have a reason for the naming the buck the way they did. They did not, however, share with us that reason.

"Shrader, you have a one in sixteen chance of killing that buck," Becker announced. "The odds are more like one in four," I injected before Shrader could respond. And they were. There were really only three other hunters within the group of sixteen that I thought were capable of putting an arrow into Bean Field Bob. One was a young ear, nose and throat MD on the host farm. The other was a young man on the third farm who has proven over the years to be a hard core big buck killer. I, of course, was the forth.

Despite their advantage over Shrader in age, I could not come up with any other strength that would surpass what Shrader brings to the table when compared to the two younger hunters. He is a killing machine with a determination and tenacity that is seldom matched. He is oblivious to discomfort and will sit entirely motionless for hours. If Shrader set his sights on this buck I would not wager against him.

Shrader set down his beer on the table, looked at me and said "What do you think, you up for another crazy season or did last year cure you?" Before I could reply the one young ear, nose and throat doctor walked up to our table and said "You guys are in over your head on this buck." Becker, Doc and I just smiled and hurled the usual insults back at the young MD. Shrader didn't say a word.

He looked right at me with his piercing gray eyes. It is a look I have seen many times in the past. Even though I know this man for decades, I still find myself very uncomfortable when he looks at me in this manner. "I am going to kill him," he said quietly.

For the life of me I didn't know at the time if he meant the young doctor or the deer.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

game on
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Well, since I somehow missed Chapter one and had to search for it, this was a double treat for me.

I think I like Shrader, lol. Thanks Mike, good job! [x2]
"Eze 18:21"
bucont

Post by bucont »

one shot scott wrote:game on
x2
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I like the name Bean Field Bob, if nothing else, its original.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Youngsters Underestimate the Power of Experience!! Please keep us updated on which one goes DOWN :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

I had to find chapter 1 also. Wow is this going to be fun. Like others i was afraid when u killed that huge gray face buck that we were going to miss out on your hunting stories.

Oh and Mike i just wanted u to know i got a B in my creative writing class at McHenry County Community College. I think i got it because the lady professor loved the things you wrote here that i would print out and take to class. :D :D :D

Any chance you can help with my economics class, lol. :lol:

Just so u know, the word is out on this and the other forums i belong to our flocking here to read another of Mike P's adventures. :)
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Now that is Creative thinking and a B to boot not bad at all :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
bucont

Post by bucont »

Wow ... I wonder if Floridian Samuel Longhorne Clemens had a following like this back in the day.

Keep it up Mike! Great job. :D
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
PFerris

Post by PFerris »

Enjoyed both stories.

I thought we would at least get to see a picture of "Bean Field Bob" while he is still roaming the wilds.

I am sure all would enjoy.