Liver shot FYI post

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hotburn

Liver shot FYI post

Post by hotburn »

Just wanted to post this as a FYI for anyone doing a search on liver shots. I had a friend shoot a nice eight point last week, probably around 120 to 130 class. It was thirty yards broadside and after field dressing no lung and center in the liver with a little bit of stomach getting hit but just a little nick, mainly liver. Any ways, deer was shoot at 6:00 pm with a complete pass through. He knew he hit far back, but was unsure. Had good blood for about 100 yards, then nothing at all. He pulled out and went back the next morning and found the buck about three hundred yards away laying in a ditch alive at ten in the morning. The buck picked it head up, looked at him, and laid its head back down. He went back to his truck to get his bow and when he returned the buck had moved about ten yards away in the ditch and just looked at him and laid its head down so he finished it off. So he ran about three hundred yards, went for a water source, and was still alive after sixteen hours. Just wanted to pass along as I found it good info and thought others might find it useful if they do a search when they have the same problem.

Jason
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm glad the buck was found, Jason.

Thanks for the info.

No one likes to wound one like that, but it happens to everyone. :(
Grizz
michiganman

liver

Post by michiganman »

we had a similar one years ago with a nice 8 pointer.was liver/stomach hit with a 2" head.we tracked some after 4 hrs,and let go all night.took up trail 11am next day,and i had to shoot him again 15 hrs latter.full 2" cut through the end of the liver,.it can happen
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Yet some liver shot deer will be down in no time. Is there a difference in the amount of blood vessels etc...in different parts of the liver?

Long
michiganman

liver

Post by michiganman »

when you get the top thick part its about 15 minutes.but when shooting ,you cant tell when you hit them.thats why when in doubt wait it out.any gut with it 8 hrs minimum.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
wabi

Post by wabi »

Guess I got lucky a few years ago. I had a liver hit with a 1 3/4" cut mechanical and the buck dropped within sight (40 yards or so). The broadhead almost cut the liver into two pieces!
wabi