I saw a deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

I saw a deer

Post by saxman »

Went to the woods this evening for a sit in one of my blinds.
I went in earlier today and trimmed the lane out to 100 yards,it's mostly Palmettos.
I got in about 4:00 and got to it.
It was just about over so I started putting my gear away for the walk out.
Took off my mask and gloves,put on my hat and switched on my headlamp. That's when I hear it,you know "the stomp" I turned off the light (it is MUCH darker in the blind than outside of it) and slowly looked up.there she was,a mature doe at about 125 yards staring into the black hole of my blind.
I put the Kodiak on the shooting rest and took aim,I could see but the light was not sticking around for long.I did my breathing and squeezed the trigger.
POP---------------wait for it-----------------BOOM
HANG FIRE
I felt myself move the rifle just after the initial POP
After the smoke cleared I turned the light back on and reloaded.
I walked out to the site and did a through search,I found no blood but I did scare the $h!t out of her,there was a fresh smokin pile right there.
As I walked back to the blind to get my gear I checked the cut real well for any sign,I didn't find any deer sign but I did find where my bullet went through some palmettos that escaped my trimming.I'll take pictures of them tomorrow,I'm going back in the daylight to make sure there was no hit.

I will have to take the blame for the hang fire.
After my range session with the gun I did my usual cleaning and oiling. I cleaned the BP also.Before I loaded for the hunt I ran three windex patches followed by three dry,both sides.
What I DID NOT DO was fire a primer before I loaded,I guess there was some rem oil in the plug.

Oh well, live and learn,I'm just glad I didn't wound the animal.
Guess I need to do mre trimming.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Well you had some action and I bet you never forget to fire a primer off after a cleaning :)

Long
wabi

Post by wabi »

The fun of muzzleloaders!
They are dependable, but they require attention to every detail (such as snapping a cap to be sure the flash channel is clear).
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'll call that one an Id10T error.
You are both right.I WILL pop a cap from now on and they do require attention and I like that part.
Just like crossbow hunting/shooting it's wise to develop a loading/shooting and in the case of ML cleaning procedure and do not devieate from it.
It could cost you a kill
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Im glad you finally seen some tail saxman. Im sure you will see more.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
saxman

Post by saxman »

one shot scott wrote:Im glad you finally seen some tail saxman. Im sure you will see more.
It got me all excited,I think I liked it that she was angry with me :? :?
Wait a minute,that's TMI :shock: :shock:
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I just got my first mussel loader yesterday.I got the Traditions Pursiut LT pachage deal.I could not watch the VHS tape it came with that gives you all the tip on starting out.I asked a friend and he gave me the basics,I sighted it in and went out today at noon.I got lucky and dropped a nice doe at around 80 yards.
I wundered what the little wire pick was for,I thought it must be for cleaning out the BP but that is a small long hole so I also blow it out with air,now I know what to do,but do you do it only before you hunt to make sure it works and so that the gun is clean for storage?
I still love my Paradox but this season has been tough.I've been out 5 times,one day I saw 6 over 60 yards,one day 2 at 70 and then 3 today at 80.Hopefully next year they will be closer.Also because of my bad arm I got the permit to use my crossbow in bow season so it will give me more time to use it.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

DANG Scott...hate to here about that...but I bet it was fun as He77 wasnt it. hang in there youll get another chance..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
saxman

Post by saxman »

new paradox wrote:I just got my first mussel loader yesterday.I got the Traditions Pursiut LT pachage deal.I could not watch the VHS tape it came with that gives you all the tip on starting out.I asked a friend and he gave me the basics,I sighted it in and went out today at noon.I got lucky and dropped a nice doe at around 80 yards.
I wundered what the little wire pick was for,I thought it must be for cleaning out the BP but that is a small long hole so I also blow it out with air,now I know what to do,but do you do it only before you hunt to make sure it works and so that the gun is clean for storage?
I still love my Paradox but this season has been tough.I've been out 5 times,one day I saw 6 over 60 yards,one day 2 at 70 and then 3 today at 80.Hopefully next year they will be closer.Also because of my bad arm I got the permit to use my crossbow in bow season so it will give me more time to use it.
The wire tool is called a "Nipple Pick" and it IS for cleaning but not drying that hole.
I will get some cans of compressed air from the wally world.
I will do it the same way everytime from now on weather i'm at the range,in the woods or storing.
This is what I have learned today and mother nature is a great teacher.These lessons stick with ya.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
saxman

Post by saxman »

saxman wrote:
new paradox wrote:I just got my first mussel loader yesterday.I got the Traditions Pursiut LT pachage deal.I could not watch the VHS tape it came with that gives you all the tip on starting out.I asked a friend and he gave me the basics,I sighted it in and went out today at noon.I got lucky and dropped a nice doe at around 80 yards.
The wire tool is called a "Nipple Pick" and it IS for cleaning but not drying that hole,some use pipe cleaners but I cant get one through a Breech Plug
I will get some cans of compressed air from the wally world.
I will do it the same way everytime from now on weather i'm at the range,in the woods or storing.
This is what I have learned today and mother nature is a great teacher.These lessons stick with ya.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Re: I saw a deer

Post by Grizzly Adam »

saxman wrote:I put the Kodiak on the shooting rest and took aim,I could see but the light was not sticking around for long.I did my breathing and squeezed the trigger.

POP---------------wait for it-----------------BOOM

HANG FIRE.
Don't feel too bad, Sax.

I had TWO hangfires with Federal Premium .30-'06 ammo last year ... supposed to be very good stuff. :shock: :? :x

One of those duds cost me a big fat doe. :evil:

It happens. :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Saxman, when I used to go to rendevous it was common practice to shoot one to three caps to make sure that the nipple was clear of oil etc. At one match one of our "old salts" (not a newbie) came to the line, placed a cap on his pistol,pointed it toward the ground and pulled the trigger. The cap popped but no grass or leaves moved in front of the muzzle, so he placed another cap on the nipple,same drill, and no leaves or grass moved again. He repeated this again for the third time with the same results,muttering about what could be obstructing the nipple. On the fourth cap, he placed the muzzle within about 1" of his left palm and squeezed the trigger to see if he could feel any air.BOOOOM. The pistol had an old charge in it somehow and all the caps finally got it dry enough to fire. Needless to say it was a complete pass through. We got him to a hospital and the Doc said he was the luckiest guy he had ever seen. The lead round ball moved stuff out of its way as it went through, but not one bone broken or tendon cut. The Doc cleaned it up and he came back to rendevous.
At rendevous it is common for people to have" camp names". i.e. "Coyote", "Gray beard" etc..From then on his camp name was....any guesses?.... " Hole in Hand" and we all were much more safety oriented.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

flightattendant100 wrote:Saxman, when I used to go to rendevous it was common practice to shoot one to three caps to make sure that the nipple was clear of oil etc. At one match one of our "old salts" (not a newbie) came to the line, placed a cap on his pistol,pointed it toward the ground and pulled the trigger. The cap popped but no grass or leaves moved in front of the muzzle, so he placed another cap on the nipple,same drill, and no leaves or grass moved again. He repeated this again for the third time with the same results,muttering about what could be obstructing the nipple. On the fourth cap, he placed the muzzle within about 1" of his left palm and squeezed the trigger to see if he could feel any air.BOOOOM. The pistol had an old charge in it somehow and all the caps finally got it dry enough to fire. Needless to say it was a complete pass through. We got him to a hospital and the Doc said he was the luckiest guy he had ever seen. The lead round ball moved stuff out of its way as it went through, but not one bone broken or tendon cut. The Doc cleaned it up and he came back to rendevous.
At rendevous it is common for people to have" camp names". i.e. "Coyote", "Gray beard" etc..From then on his camp name was....any guesses?.... " Hole in Hand" and we all were much more safety oriented.
Here's your sign. That wasn't too smart now was it :? . BTW, Paul, I'll be in Dallas tommorrow around noon. I hope that we can still hook up while I'm there :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray