Team Va BBD update with pictures

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Team Va BBD update with pictures

Post by crazyfarmer »

I'm back after dropping the deer off to get mounted. Ill start back in July when I first for trail camera pictures of a few bucks that got my attention.

Enter a buck that I named Boxer since his rack is a perfect BOX shape. Here are his below trail camera photos from July. I have about 8 pictures of this one deer but here are 2

Well I hunted these bucks for about 2 weeks total with no luck. I was baffled. What happened to them?

Now present day

I decided to hunt a bottom that basically funnels between 2 fields on both sides. I haven’t touched this spot all of archery season. I was in stand around 5:25am. The full moon was shining bright above. No need for a light to do anything getting into the stand. I popped a buck bomb about 25 yards out which I love doing in bottoms since he blows the scent downwind of me covering my scent. Finally the woods began to come alive. I could finally see. I heard a distant crash but didn’t pay it much attention. Then around 6:20 I heard footsteps. Here comes a button buck so I thought. Right up to the base of the stand. I figured a lil button had come to the buck bomb and can call. I kept looking but I couldn’t see any buttons since the deer was only 7 yards away. The deer kept looking back so then it clicked. Hmmmm, it must be a doe. Then I heard the best sound in the woods. A deep, throaty GRUNT. You can actually somewhat tell a shooter buck by his grunt if you have heard enough of them in the woods. When I heard the grunt the hammer on the encore instantly became cocked. I finally caught movement coming. I could see antlers but I couldn’t tell the size. By now my heart was thumping. Im puzzled as to how the doe couldn’t hear it. The buck stopped 25 yards out with no shot. I could see the right side of the rack, but couldn’t make out the pts since the golden antlers blended in with the wet leaves. Finally he too a few steps and I saw good mass around the G2's, but again I couldn’t make out the pts. At this time I had decided he was a shooter and began to focus on just the body of the buck. He was definitely mature. He started walking and came right up 7-8 yards away slightly quartering towards me. At this range I had no issue with that shot. I aimed slightly high on his front shoulder about 7inches forward and squeezed. Boom and the smoke filled the air. The buck bolted and thoughts of missing came into my mind. I watched the deer run up the trail and then flip back on his hind legs. It was over. He had run 20 yards and fell back into a deep stream. I lost sight of the deer. Still was unsure of his exact size other than being a mature shooter buck. It’s hard to size up a deer in the woods exactly when things happen fast unlike in a open field. I climbed down after reloading. Walked over and saw tall tines and 8 pts. At this point I saw mass and realized that he was a good one. I started doing the happy dance after thinking about the past month and the troubles. After passing countless small bucks and the past 9months of work it had finally paid off. BBD

After taking a closer look I realized this was a buck I had been hunting and had pictures of, but he was 5miles from that location.

Ok, here are the recent pictures from today. He's no B&C giant, but he's one of my best bucks. 20inch spread and tall G2's. Score able 8pts with good mass all the way to the tips.

BTW, I know Mike P will call me out for not smiling. All you get is a little grin :lol: I did enough smiling after the shot :D
Last edited by crazyfarmer on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Big Congrats CF. That is a nice one for sure. :D Wish I could see a few deer. :cry:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

GOOD BUCK GREAT STORY AND PICS!
thanks philip
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

frisky wrote:Big Congrats CF. That is a nice one for sure. :D Wish I could see a few deer. :cry:
hang in there... you never know what tomorrow can bring. I was beating myself up pretty badly since I lost a nice buck with the bow and just wasnt seeing anything big enough to shoot. Its amazing what can happen in a matter of seconds during the rut :D

hopefully everyone gets lucky this week and next. They are starting to chase here finally. Im just worried the bigger bucks are bedding the first doe so they are on lockdown and not moving now :?
lscha

Post by lscha »

CONGRATULATIONS CF!!! That is a beauty! Good story too.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

That is one awsome buck CF, you worked hard for that one. Congrats! Crispy
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Just in from the game. Didn't go out with the boys for a nightcap, wanted to see this buck so I rushed home.

OUTSTANDING!

Great mass and the G2's are just spectacular.

That buck is going to make a great mount. I love the height and the spread.

It is getting so we can count on you for a great buck every year my young friend. You are proving to be a very resourceful buck hunter.

Now go get that big boy!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats my friend.He's a beauty.
Sweet looking Muzzy you got there :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Great Buck HD. Rut is just starting here. Saw first buck chasing doe tonight. Congrats.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats! Worth the wait!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

CONGRATULATIONS CF!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Beatuiful buck CF . . . I'm headed out to the woods . . .running late, just noticed my license expired on 10/22. :shock: I love early morning online shopping. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Very NICE Crazyfarmer! I like your third pic down the best, it does a good job of portraying its size the best.
Why ride when you can walk!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Way to go CF, those are some great G-2's on that buck.

Rich
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nice buck, Crazy! Way to go. :D
Grizz