What Excalibur to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

frank25

Post by frank25 »

i use the exocet 200 3 for 3 with it plenty enough
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

If I was to buy a new crossbow now (which I'm not), I would get the Exocet 200 for deer & moose.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i decided to get the exomax and have been very happy with it. just make sure you dont forget your rope cocker or your hands will get a little sore after a few shots...

i like to have the power there if i ever need it. a faster arrow will shoot flatter giving you a little bit more forgiveness with range estimation. using an online calculator i figured this out.

365gr at 345fps the bolt drops -

20yards - 6"
30yards - 15"
40yards - 27"

a slower bow shooting the same arrow at 300fps -

20yards - 8"
30yards - 20"
40yards - 34"

you can see that the faster bow shoots quite a bit flatter and to me every bit helps when it comes to hunting :wink:
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

ch312 wrote:you can see that the faster bow shoots quite a bit flatter and to me every bit helps when it comes to hunting :wink:
I know what you mean :lol:. I love my Exocet 165, but I also messed up 2 opportunities over 2 seasons due to misjudging distances in the 25-35 yard range. Even though I hung yardage ribbons, deer sometimes showed up in the strangest places :roll:. The best thing I ever did was buy myself a rangefinder.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Arrow drop doesn't concern me. When the scope is adjusted correctly, and I do my job, all arrows hit their marks no matter the distance. I also feel speed is over-rated, so I use much heavier than the minimum 350 gr. arrows.

Speed never impressed me much. I strive for speeds between 300 - 310fps. I've found that above those speeds accuracy decreases. Also, by doing so, my Excaliburs not only look, but also perform as good as the day I bought them.

In case you're wondering. Yes I too, owned an Exomax briefly. I swapped my Phoenix's rail with a friend's Exomax rail. We were both happy. He got a crossbow he could use. I got a crossbow that I sold for more money than I would have gotten selling my Phoenix. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I use the equinox and love it but i like to buy a lighter poundage for target shooting and more "fun" the equinox is also a little hard on the servings but i feel that im sufficient in reserving so i'm good for now
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I think you should try the phoenix also... LOL
I love mine, and 35 yards is a cinch with it; it is pretty quiet, the serving does not seem to wear very much and it is more than enough .. I got the rail to make it a 200 pounder... when ? I do not know.. why ? in case I start shooting larger farther or just targets with a rope cocker, I guess..
admittedly the 200 is faster flatter and not that hard to cock with the rope I hear; it would have to go some to make me like it more than the phoenix, though...
Maybe since you have it down to two models You had better not try the phoenixx... just slow you down... lol
or pick one bow but buy several rails... decision easier...
dk
life guard at the gene pool
Exomaxer

Exomax

Post by Exomaxer »

I did a lot of research prior to my purchase. I first selected Excalibur, as I believe in simple, and moreso in quality, in this respect, I was right, and got both. I chose the Exomax for speed, I'm not shy about it. Everyone here will tell you it doesn't matter for clean kills out to say, 30 yards. And I agree with that, but I want the flattest trajectory I can have, and I want it with a heavier arrow as well. I get a quieter bow, flat trajectory, and plenty of punch, none of which you can have too much of.
Sometimes the shot isn't placed perfectly, as much as we try to make it so. When that happens, kinetic energy counts more than ever. If I need the arrow to pound through a shoulder blade, it will. Sometimes a nervous buck will react very quickly to the sound. Most will say he won't be able to get out of the way, and I agree, but he may move a little, and that may cause a bad hit. Therefore, speed does matter. This may be splitting hairs, but when the buck of a lifetime stands before me, I want to know I have the extra edge to put him on the wall.
I plan to hunt bear & boars as well, and who knows, maybe moose & elk someday. I know the entire Excalibur line will take anything on the continent, but again, I want the extra zip, it gives me confidence.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have owned the ExoMax and Equinox and while I love them there are drawbacks for sure.Like mentioned before reduced serving life,it can be a B!T(H to cock and if you suffer from the ailments some of us here do to varying degres then it gets worse from there.I have thrown my back out many times after a day of shooting.
Yes,it is the fastest.
Yes,it hits the hardest.
Would I buy it again?
NO!

I will drop to the 200 pound model next.
It is becoming just to dificult to shoot.

Then again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by saxman on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Exomaxer

Exomax & Equinox

Post by Exomaxer »

Saxman, can't argue there, you are right about those things for sure. I guess the point really is this. Excalibur (and all brands) make several models for varying tastes. I find it funny that people who are shooting slower bows will criticize fast shooters as though there is something wrong with that. How many times have I read the words "thats all you need" Well, you can say that about almost anything. We could all drive Chevettes, thats all you need. We could all eat beans & rice everyday, thats all you need.
I chose speed, not because I'm a kid, not because my ego made me. I chose it because its a valuable hunting tool, period.
TheGodfather

Post by TheGodfather »

I love my Equinox............ :D
"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

2009 Equinox
GroundPounder Mount
Vari-Zone
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I agree with Exomaxer, flatter trajectory is better. It takes alot of the yardage guess work out. I had to give up compound bows, because I have bad arthritis in both my sholders. I read a lot about crossbows, in general, and found a useful piece of information. It is on Excalibur's website, it's called arrow ballistics. Check out the difference between 350 fps and 325 fps. The arrow drop is signifagant, and the kinetic energy is drastic. At 300 it's even more. Well I got the Exomax, and even with my bad sholders, I have no trouble cocking it with the rope cocker. Now with out it it's harder, but I can do it. But like everyone else said, you will like any Excalibur bow you buy.

Mike.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
saxman

Re: Exomax & Equinox

Post by saxman »

Exomaxer wrote:Saxman, can't argue there, you are right about those things for sure. I guess the point really is this. Excalibur (and all brands) make several models for varying tastes. I find it funny that people who are shooting slower bows will criticize fast shooters as though there is something wrong with that. How many times have I read the words "thats all you need" Well, you can say that about almost anything. We could all drive Chevettes, thats all you need. We could all eat beans & rice everyday, thats all you need.
I chose speed, not because I'm a kid, not because my ego made me. I chose it because its a valuable hunting tool, period.
Well said my young friend.

go out and shoot all the excal's you can find and buy the one that is RIGHT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!
By golly if you can cock the 225 models,go for it.
You WONT be disappointed.

While I am having phisical trouble I can still get it cocked and I know I have the power and the speed in abundance to get it done.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011