What Excalibur to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rjgothrup

What Excalibur to buy?

Post by rjgothrup »

I recently joined the forum. I am in the process of buying my first crossbow, Excalibur for sure. I posted and asked a few questions to you experienced crossbow hunters. I expected everyone to push the 225 lb. Equinox at 350 fps, why not buy the highest speed you can get right? Well, to my surprise none did and it was suggested to by the 200 lbs. bow. I have heard people say 330 fps form the Vortex is all the speed you need for hunting.

Does anyone own a 225 lbs. Excalibur Equinox and want to share your side of the opinion pole.

If more speed is not better, then why make the 350 fps bow at all?

Someone talk me into a Vortex or Equinox and convince me why? :shock:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have the equinox and love it. The downside is serving life. But I wanted speed and got it by buying the 'nox. I wouldnt go so far as to push it on someone else though. I would recommend shooting a couple of models and seeing what you like best. There are so many variables from one person to the next. Thats why excal builds so many models :D

I also have the Y25 which is basicially a exocet and it shoots just as accurate as the 'nox. You cant go wrong with any of them. No matter what bow you buy your still limited to 30-40 yard shots ethically, IMHO
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I shoot the Exomax {Equinox without thumb hole stock} I like the idea of being able to shoot heavier arrows and broadheads and still send them out at the speeds of the less poundage bows with lighter arrows. My opinion if you are thinking JUST between these two bows {Vortex,Equinox} I would go with the higher poundage Equinox Again this is just MY OPINION.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

iiiiiiiffff your going to Africa to shoot ELEPHANT like Bill did than go with the 225 lb. xbow. Otherwise any excalibur will do you well. Just check out the different models and see which one fits "YOU" best. Only then will you know which one you like best, JMO
I am a hunter and proud of it.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

why make a 350 fps bow? I can only assume that all other companys are making them faster so don't want to get blocked or lag behind the market place. This is my opinion and I don't speak for excalipur. Speed don't matter for me cause my longest shot is 30 yards anyways.

AS Bill T once said on here so elegantly one time. "You just don't shoot at alert deer". Keep this in mind and speed don't matter.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

If you want the power and speed of a 'Max or 'Nox, and you're physically able to cock it enough to shoot it when you want as long as you want, and if you're willing to do a little extra string maintenance, then get the bow you want.

There are pros and cons with every model, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is no ideal.

You won't go wrong with any Excalibur. :D
Grizz
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

If I was buying all over again, and I am not, I swear I am not - I would consider things this way.

What do I plan on doing with it ?

Will it be strickly for hunting - Equinox

Will it be for hunting and target shooting, maybe some 3D- Vortex

Will it be used for some hunting, but mostly for fun out back- Vixen or Ibex

If you are short, consider the Ibex a little harder.

You have to be able to cock the thing in order to shoot the thing. It is going to go twang when you shoot it. So there is a trade off here. Do you wish it to be fast at all costs, or are you willing to sacrifice some speed for comfort and ease of use and a little less twang ?

Also, consider this carefully- I knew that the bow was going to be with me for a long time. I chose Excalibur because of that fact. I wanted as much speed as I could get, but also knowing age was going to enter it's ugly head along the way. I went with the Vortex because it seemed to offer the best of both worlds. The Ibex was a close second. I suspect most of these bows are never resold, so choose wisely.

If you are young and strong, you will want the Equinox, because that is just the way things are.

Of course it is best to cock and shoot all the models first, before choosing. You will have some buyer's remorse regardless. Tricky, actually, to pick and not "feel" under gunned or over gunned. Maybe it is best for you to plan on buying two bows- one for fun and one for getting her done. Get the Vixen first, then later the equinox if you still "need" it.

When you buy, don't chase prices at all costs. Call Danny Miller and speak with him about all the reasons for your final choice. Let him take you the final step. Get an STS, some custom arrows and a good bag target. Later, after you have had some time to shoot, order your Boo strings. Good luck.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

If you're going to hunt deer with the CB ther is only one choice stands out ===> the EXOCET!!! Why? It appears that this particular model comes with some secret built in deer attractant. :) Joking aside, I chose the Excet model because I thought @ 200# it would be perfect for deer and turkey and also because I was unfamiliar with and therefore didn't want to take a chance on a thumbhole stock model. I think it'll be hard to not fall in love with whatever Excalibur model you finally purchase.

Take care...
rjgothrup

Post by rjgothrup »

Ok, thanks for all the replys. I am going to take all of the advice. I am going to go shoot the Equinox and the vortex a few time each and buy the one that feels the best, not letting speed be the determination.

Thanks again, can't wait to start crossbow hunting!
blackjack

Re: What Excalibur to buy?

Post by blackjack »

rjgothrup wrote:I recently joined the forum. I am in the process of buying my first crossbow, Excalibur for sure. I posted and asked a few questions to you experienced crossbow hunters. I expected everyone to push the 225 lb. Equinox at 350 fps, why not buy the highest speed you can get right? Well, to my surprise none did and it was suggested to by the 200 lbs. bow. I have heard people say 330 fps form the Vortex is all the speed you need for hunting.

Does anyone own a 225 lbs. Excalibur Equinox and want to share your side of the opinion pole.

If more speed is not better, then why make the 350 fps bow at all?

Someone talk me into a Vortex or Equinox and convince me why? :shock:
hi, l own both & in my opinion honestly its a bee's dick the difference between 200 & 225 lb to me 200 lb is plenty. but l love them all good luck & what ever model you choose l no you'll love it...regards frank Australia
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Frank, I have to tell ya, I just love those aussie sayings you come up with here at the forum. :lol:

I spent a lot of time with aussie soldiers when I was in the army and just fell in love with the free spirit outlook the residents of your country all seem to have.

Many is the morning I spent in a jungle "Boiling the Billy" with some crazy aussies and they are very fond memories that I treasure. :)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well thar be at least 7 excals so one of them will be the one you want. miss vixen is my choice, but i sure want one of them T-hole stocked like Bobstout has.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
boltblaster

Post by boltblaster »

New equinox shoots very well and has taken 2 bucks.Used the bolts and broadheads that came with the right stuff package.Had a hard time getting the bolts out of the ground.Fast,very fast.Lumi-zone scope works perfect set at 350 fps.Hitting a 3 inch dot at 40 yards is not hard.If you get one you will probably like it a lot.I'm happy with mine.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I chose the exocet 200 becasue i wanted to be able to easily recock it by hand. This has been an excellent decision and allowed me to shoot a buck on a second shot after the first hit a branch.

I would try to cock all models by hand and see if that is a factor for you.

F
frank25

Post by frank25 »

i use the exocet 200 3 for 3 with it plenty enough