food plot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bucont

food plot

Post by bucont »

I am thinking on planting a food plot for next year, under 1/2 acre I would think.

Never done this before and there is a ton info on the web. Most are in refence to more southern climates so I am looking for something that more suited to the Ontario climate. Right now I am leaning to Backyard Wildlife Products, of course any one growing in Minn or Mich would have the same issues.

Any expierence out there?
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I know someone that plants abut 1/4 acre of corn and lets it sit until the hunt is done. Some of it gets eaten by critters but it does attract the deer as well.

F
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't know how well it would do in your area but we tried forage chicory here and the deer love it.
They keep it well manicured. :roll:
wabi
buzz

Post by buzz »

Bucont
I don't post much but I may be able to help.
I've been putting in food plots for about 6 to 7 years now.
I'm north of belleville south eastern ontario and have had great success.
Did you need info on how to put food plots in or did you need info on what to plant or both.
let me know. maybe i can help.
bucont

Post by bucont »

pm sent
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
munch

Post by munch »

ric i tryed that in my area but did not have much luck the deer here can get corn beans hay and produce around on the farms .they do come but not like they might where the food supply is limited .i have a pipe feeder i feed deer in the winter when ther is lots of snow then in the summer to see whats around.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
bucont

Post by bucont »

Looks like a good buck there munch.

I am thinking more along this line,

http://backyardwildlife.ca/dearc1.php
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

A brassica is good for late season; after hard freezing. If you want something for earlier and also something to help build up the soil there are alternatives.

Living on yellow sand, we have had excellent luck planting buckwheat early. One reason is that buckwheat will help build up the ground and the other reason is because deer absolutely love it. Watching the food plot or setting up a trail cam will give you a good handle on the deer you have.

Because buckwheat can not tolerate frost we plant in June. It is fast growing and we till the buckwheat in anytime after about August 10. After 2 weeks we rework the ground and plant a 50/50 mixture of rye/oats. We have tried several different oats but have found the Buck Forage Oats to be the best but there are others you can use. I tried an off brand this year and it is as good as the BFO, but regular field oats are not as good.

During October the deer can't seem to get enough of the rye/oats and it is good to hunt near the plot or right beside it. I like to get back in some to catch the bucks that tend to hold back in the brush.

The oat/rye mix will stop growing sometime in November depending on the weather. Usually around here by mid November the growing has stopped but the deer will still go to it some; just not as heavy. They will even dig through the snow for some fresh greens.

If you like, you can let the rye grow the following summer or just till it in as a green manure crop. We've done both. I still like planting the buckwheat in summer though as the ground loves it and so do the deer.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
bucont

Post by bucont »

Buzz suggested a brassica as well for late season.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

this is the first year i attempted a plot ...learned a bit but need to do more for sure ....i did pick up backyard wildlife and it performed well and is still performing even after snow and heavy frosts this year ...also lots of good info here too ... http://www.qdma.org/

bucont

Post by bucont »

warningshot

which backyard wildlife product did you use?
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

he bucont ...i think it was field edge .. planted 3 plots in mid July ...threw in some other seeds as well...planted oats, rye, buckwheat, purple top turnips
bucont

Post by bucont »

warningshot wrote:he bucont ...i think it was field edge .. planted 3 plots in mid July ...threw in some other seeds as well...planted oats, rye, buckwheat, purple top turnips
How was the traffic to the plot?
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

[quote="bucont"][quote="warningshot"]he bucont ...i think it was field edge .. planted 3 plots in mid July ...threw in some other seeds as well...planted oats, rye, buckwheat, purple top turnips[/quote]

How was the traffic to the plot?[/quote]

traffic is good ...4 good scrapes 15 yards from the stand ..never had any scapes before that close to the stand ....most likely due to the extra traffic in the area ....i took an area that the deer just walked thru ..now they stop and feed ...last night i pulled the card s on the camera and 34pics in 2 days on the trail cam ...i see a min of 4 deer every night not always hitting the plot but in the area ... last night had 2 deer feed in the plot for about 20 mins .....pm if you want any more info