Crazyfarmer lucky

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

Crazyfarmer lucky

Post by gogo »

I think I figured out why Crazyfarmer is so lucky.
If I look for deer before the season starts. Find out where they feed, where they bed, where they go in between. Find out where they enter the fields and where they exit the fields, put my stands up to entercept them. Find which direction the wind comes from, what they do in good weather and bad weather. Find out if the rut is on or not. Use camo, cover sents and calls. If I work my butt off to do these things and more, I may just get lucky myself.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Don't count on it.
diesel

Post by diesel »

That's all part of hunting and if you have the time to do all that it helps.
You also need to pass up those 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks so they can grow.
It also helps if you own a lot of land and your neighbors let the bucks grow too.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

hard work does pay off buy a trail cam and that will cut ur time in half. Take a doe early in the season (population control) to fill the freezer then you can trophy hunt thats what i do anyway :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
lscha

Post by lscha »

Until this year it had been 7 years since I took a buck. I hunt every chance I get and have passed up all the small bucks I saw during the archery and early deer season hoping to see a big one every year. I have done this most of my life and really don't regret it because my hunting season always lasts longer than anyone elses. I just end up taking a doe or two at the end of the seasons.

Now I have to face the fact that in order to get a big buck there has to be a big buck around. There might be one, but it is as scarce as that bear I got on the trailcam. Around our hunting area it seems to be a general conclusion among all that the only big bucks reside on the two trophy ranches located within 8 miles of our area.

I'm doing things differently this year. I'm filling the freezer first, then I'll hunt for something special in case there is something special out there. One thing about our deer is they are always tasty and tender.

Next year I may concentrate more on hunting at home after the freezer is full. There are monsters here and I know it but it's all private land.

I don't think I'll ever be 'Crazyfarmer Lucky' because I can't work that hard at it but I get a thrill with every deer I get and I LOVE to hear about everyone's successes.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Luck helps since after all the hard work its luck if they show up. I'm in the woods the day after season moving and finding new stand spots. But still even with nine months of work you need luck. Btw, you know instantly when you have a mature buck in front of you. My best tips would be early spring stand hanging, let small ones walk, and don't over hunt any one stand. Stil you need luck though. Right place right time. Its funny now because my local hunting buds won't speak to me so go figure
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Don't worry about it CF . . .they have deer envy. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gogo

Post by gogo »

When I posted this is was more to show how to have a chance at taking a deer. The size of the deer doesn't really matter, its how you go about it. To take a huge buck luck does enter the picture. Perhaps the first time hunters out there will have a better idea on what it takes to be succesfull
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

gogo wrote:When I posted this is was more to show how to have a chance at taking a deer. The size of the deer doesn't really matter, its how you go about it. To take a huge buck luck does enter the picture. Perhaps the first time hunters out there will have a better idea on what it takes to be succesfull
I agree with what you typed too.

I am the Team Virginia handicap. I live 300 miles from where I do the bulk of my hunting.

I rely on what the deer were doing "last season". I do my deer homeowrk in the field. It's a little of a disadvantage. For example, the acorns may not be as good on the ridge where I typically have a lot of success. I don't find this information out until my morning hunt is over on day 1.

So, food source information and pattern information is harder if not impossible to put together. Now that trail cameras and such are becoming available at an affordable cost, it will be easier to track patterns.

It certainly helps a ton to do your homework before the season begins. Otherwise, welcome to my world.

It's helps that there is a lot of deer where I hunt.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Lots of Hard work, Time, and crazyfarmer does his homework, It all has a lot to do with it, Keep it up, You deserve it!!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Scouting. Learning to read and understand the sign you see. Scouting. Before, after, and during the season. Be willing to stick to your guns, but at the same time don't get so fixated on one spot.

It's hard to pass up younger bucks and hope they will grow bigger when there are many others hunting the same area. That is where the luck comes into play.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
sullyy

Post by sullyy »

Luck = Preperation + Oppurtunity

Seems like both of those were covered.

Great bucks!
Arkbow

Lucky

Post by Arkbow »

I believe in a little bit of luck, but the reason CF does what he does is because of just good, honest, hard work; please listen to what he is saying..."the day after season closes"!!! if you want to kill big bucks you must put the time in; trophy hunting is a YEAR ROUND CHORE; yes, a little luck does help but when one kills big bucks year after year, it's because they have put their time in;

CF don't worry about your so called friends, they are not friends; they are not willing to work hard as you so let them go their way and you enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor; the only thing that I ask is just keep posting your pictures;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
crazyfarmer

Re: Lucky

Post by crazyfarmer »

Arkbow wrote:I believe in a little bit of luck, but the reason CF does what he does is because of just good, honest, hard work; please listen to what he is saying..."the day after season closes"!!! if you want to kill big bucks you must put the time in; trophy hunting is a YEAR ROUND CHORE; yes, a little luck does help but when one kills big bucks year after year, it's because they have put their time in;

CF don't worry about your so called friends, they are not friends; they are not willing to work hard as you so let them go their way and you enjoy the fruits of YOUR labor; the only thing that I ask is just keep posting your pictures;
I agree.... some get jealous I guess. Granted I get upset if a buck ive been after is killed but thats hunting. You get some.. you lose some :D But I never hold it personal against anyone else.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Lucky people have one thing in common
They all work hard.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO