New Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sidewinder

New Exomax

Post by sidewinder »

I have started to shoot my new exomax and have hit a bit of a snag. I am shooting with field tips and getting a good grouping at 20 and 30 yards. When i switched to broadheads the arrows were out almost five inches high and to the right. I am using three blade thunderheads 125gr and I weighed them on my digital scale. Both field tip and broadhead weighed 6 grams. I ran out of light but think I will just sight in with broadheads. Any suggestions? I am using peep sight only.

Sidewinder
BUS314

??

Post by BUS314 »

Lots of arrow broadhead combos work well, some don't. Personally I get same POI with devastating damage to the only criiter I've shot with mine-see sig below.
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

you may need to just sight-in using yer thunderheads, they seem to do that with alot of ppl. on biger poundage CB's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I used to hunt moose with thunderhead 125s in the past, before better hads were available, and accuracy with them is less than good. I'd try something smaller. I hate to sound like a salesman but I use an Exomax and I know that our Boltcutters shoot very well off of it and are basically same POI as 150 grain field points.
bomtek44

Post by bomtek44 »

I suggest you try some of the short profile broadheads. Nothing but praise on this forum for the Slick Trick 125's. Personally, since I couldn't find any locally, I went with the Sonic 125's. They shoot to same spot a filed tips at 50, and I went 5 for 5.
bomtek44
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boy . . could I really rip into a speech about how much more accurate mechanicals are vs. fixed blade broadheads. Which would then lead to my speech about the wider cuts being so much better. Then I could talk a little about not having to track a deer since switching to a wide cut mechanical.

But, I'll not do that. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sidewinder

Post by sidewinder »

I looked at the boltcutters and thought I would stick with my thunderheads. I have used them with great success on bear and deer in the past. I will try the excal boltcutters and give some feedback Monday.

Sidewinder
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I hope these work out for you. I've used Spitfires with good luck too.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Rich

Post by Rich »

I also loved the TH 125's however they planed to much after 20 yards. Switch to a lower profile or a good mechanical and you'll be good.

Rich
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I shoot an Equinox and have found the Boltcutters to fly really well. Same POI as my 150 grain fieldpoints. They are also tough as nails. I will be using them on my November 21st wild pig hunt here in Santa Barbara county.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Bill T wrote:I used to hunt moose with thunderhead 125s in the past, before better hads were available, and accuracy with them is less than good. I'd try something smaller. I hate to sound like a salesman but I use an Exomax and I know that our Boltcutters shoot very well off of it and are basically same POI as 150 grain field points.
I agree Bill, you might sound like a saleman, because you are one. :wink: Fortunately for us you're a very honest one. :D

A couple years ago, I was given a pack of TH. All it took me was one outing to realize why they were given to me and to convince me not to try them on a second outing and at any distance. :shock:

I've gone back to my old faithfuls, SlickTricks and Montecs. I've also have some Boltcutters which look like they'd work just as well as my SlickTricks.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Arkbow

Exomax

Post by Arkbow »

The only broadheads that shoot out of my exomax are the boltcutters; I have shot about all of them and the boltcutters along with the excalibur bolts{arrows} shoot and group better than anything else;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
boltblaster

Post by boltblaster »

boltcutters shoot well out of my equinox but 2 inchs low and right from field point POI at 20 yards.I adjusted left and left the elevation alone.If I try mechanicals it will be meatseekers with brass inserts.I shoot off my deck with broadheads and 2 inchs low is about right when hunting from a treestand.I get 18 to 25 feet high and it can make your shots go a little high compared to practicing at ground level.