Southern Ontario Survey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Southern Ontario Survey

Post by xbhntr »

I hunted 89B, we found the gun hunt was slow. Few deer were seen and less were shot. We felt that the deer were hiding in the 10' corn. Since the corn is still in the field, it was too hard to drive them out! Did anyone else have a similar problem, or is the population down in our area? Ray.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I talked to a friend, his deer sightings throughout the week were few and far between. I think part of the blame lies with a full or near full moon at night, farmers harvesting the beans, and an influx of hunters, all contributing to the deer going off schedule.

I have been told that the corn is not to be harvested at all this fall, across Ontario. I'm not sure if this is true or why this would happen, but I still see an awful lot of corn standing.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
xbhntr

survey

Post by xbhntr »

They just started taking the corn off today in my area. The feeding all night though the full moon theory has a lot of merit. Ray.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I hunted 92B M/L last week. Lots of sign and many tracks but few deer sightings all week during daylight hours. The deer were mainly nocturnal the way I see it. Most of our sits were deep in the thick stuff. The full moon, warm weather and standing corn did not help either.
On thursday at 9:30 am a decent 4 point fell to my Thompson Omega. He ran 25 yards without a heart.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I bet every area you guys are in has an abundance of yotes this year as well.

Yotes aren't much threat to a healthy deer right now, but they do cause the deer to change their patterns.
I come by my name honestly.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

We did the same Norm, went and sat in the thick stuff . You may not get the first thing in the morning traffic but they like the controlled climate in there . :)
I saw 11 deer which is not bad considering what you see for the most part is almost what you can shoot .
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:( Xbhntr...we found the same thing in 76D..too much standing corn...we ended up with 3 bucks...about half of what we usually get but we still had a great time! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
DAVESGT

SKUNKED

Post by DAVESGT »

I hunted for 6 days in 63A and we (the 5 of us) saw 2 deer. Nothing to shoot at at all :(
snortwheez

Re: Southern Ontario Survey

Post by snortwheez »

Seen 13 deer during the Nov. gun hunt in 3 days of hunting and managed to put down a small 6 point on the opener while hunting by myself. Been afield twice with the x-bow seeing 11 deer and missing one big 8, will be heading out this evening to try and finish my season. All in 89B
MADMAX2

Re: Southern Ontario Survey

Post by MADMAX2 »

I was in 89b all day today from dawn till dusk and seen more deer today than the whole shotgun hunt but just could not get them in bow range also had a flock of turkey's in bow range while hunting deer :roll: you watch in the spring when i'm turkey hunting the deer will come up and kiss my gun :roll: :wink:
The best things in life are not things!!