Butt out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ill keep doing it the old way. I've grown up processing animals so the old way is very simple. Heck, the whole deer is dressed in under a minute:)
Normous

Post by Normous »

crazyfarmer wrote:Ill keep doing it the old way. I've grown up processing animals so the old way is very simple. Heck, the whole deer is dressed in under a minute:)
Under one minute, thats fast!
Can you get that on tape for us?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
huntone

Post by huntone »

I may try one, don't know, butt I'm still doing it the old way.

Seems like you could pull that thing out with some force and get
crap all over you. Maybe its ok......
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

This is interesting. I assume you employ this special implement after you have gutted the beast, to remove what is left of it's rectum.

Why the need ?

I have field dressed many deer and never have I removed a sphinctor. Are you concerned that some fecal material may reside up in there ?

Even if it did, so what. It has been going through there for years with no ill effects to the meat. Running that thing up there would lascerate the intact tubing and THAT would allow any e. coli bacteria to enter into the meat. It could be transfered via scratching from the inside of the rectum to the inside of the hams as you retract it's sharp fins.

Just cut the intestine short and leave about two inches exposed and dangling on the inside. This contains the material within the tubing. You will be chilling the carcass anyways, so bacterial growth is inhibited anyways.

When cleaning the deer, use the blood to wash down the fish (inner tenderloins) and wash some down in that area, too. The blood will dry and that gives protection from dehydration of the fish and the exposed hams, as it forms a hardened barrier. Upon skinning, you can simply go around that region and leave it with the carcass.

I make a long slice up the abdomen and through the rib cage, off to one side of the centerline. Next I cut the diaphragm away from the lower ribs so that it is free. Next I cut the esophagus and the larynx and then pull. Usually, I get everything to come, except where the lower portion of the diaphragm remains uncut. I cut the rest of it. Then pull again and all the intestines come with the thoracic organs. THEN I cut the colon and I am done. Usually, after I remove my latex gloves the only blood on me is on my boots.

Maybe I am missing something here. Maybe you employ your gadget prior to gutting and pull all of the intestines out first. But that can't be pleasant.

I must have missed the memo.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Maybe I am missing something here. Maybe you employ your gadget prior to gutting and pull all of the intestines out first. But that can't be pleasant.
I've never used one, but the idea is to use it BEFORE gutting. It is inserted, twisted until it "grabs" (i.e. usually 1 full turn) and then twisted another 1/2 turn. At this point you just pull the colon out about 10" tie it off at this point and cut below it. Now you are ready for field dressing as you described.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

Once you pull the tool out about 10 inches and tie a string around it, do you then cut the intestine in between the tool and the string ? Do you then cut around the anus so that it will be free to follow the intestines back in when you pull the gut sack out of the caity ?
Never tried this tool before, but would like to try one soon ! :oops:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

DARTONATOR wrote:Once you pull the tool out about 10 inches and tie a string around it, do you then cut the intestine in between the tool and the string ? Do you then cut around the anus so that it will be free to follow the intestines back in when you pull the gut sack out of the caity ?
Never tried this tool before, but would like to try one soon ! :oops:
You do most of the above, but there's not need to cut around the anus because the colon is freed when it pulled out 10-12".

Here's a video link.
Butt Out Tool Video

Update: Nov. 12
With all this talk, I just went out today and bought the Butt Out 2. Now I just need a butt to use it on. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
mrxbower

Butt out

Post by mrxbower »

hi i always cut the pelvic bone to get the bladder out then cut around the a hole. with this tool i wont have to?
What does PETA stand for?" "People Eating Tasty Animals
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I don't know, I bet if you stuck it where the sun don't shine, the last thing on a person's mind would be wanting a smoke :lol:

Long
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I used it last year for the first time a fellow hunter in our party let me use it after a last hunt/push with shotguns we shot four deer I had two cleaned before the other hunters each had theirs done I was sold :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
mailman1

Post by mailman1 »

I tried it, but I used a zip tie after I pulled out 10", then gutted it and once you cut the wind pipe and membranes , everything just rolled out. The next day the coydogs ate everything but the zip tie, that was the only thing left on the ground