Questions on hunting from a blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

w8cop

blinds

Post by w8cop »

I use an Ameristep Penthouse blind.It's big enough for 2 adults.Plenty of room with my excal. I have seen MORE deer in it than I ever did in a tree stand.It contains your scent and of course is great in the rain/snow.I have killed a deer with the xbow and with my compund verticle as well.I will never hunt from a tree again.
Arkbow

On the ground

Post by Arkbow »

I hunt 100% from the ground and have as much success as I ever did from hunting from tree stands; here is my set-ups;

My blind comes from cabelas; it's their line and it cost 149.00; it sets up like an umbrella and has plenty of room for 3 people; I can set mine up in less than 30 seconds; it comes in different camo, I ordered mossyoak treestand; it's black inside so you don't need fancy camo for you or your son just wear black;

I "brush" my blind when set up with my surroundings {small branches,brush, anything that looks natural} to make it blend in my location; you can set up a couple of days ahead of time or set up the day of the hunt;

the blind has several "windows" you can see out of BUT only open the ones you need; you do not want it bright inside while you are hunting; take a couple of comfortable chairs and let your 6 year old stand up and move around so that he don't get bored;

I use nothing but baking soda for scent control; I simply put the baking soda in a large salt shaker like container and "salt" the blind and area after set up; this works as good as any commerical brand spray but it's a whole lot cheaper;

This is just some small suggestions; hope it works and helps; just take your son out and remember to make it FUN for him; I see alot of adults take their young hunters and try to make them hunt like adults---wrong--- :( ;

WARNING, this style of hunting is VERY ADDICTIVE; if given a chance, you will be selling those treestands, I did; good luck... :D
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

same location you would put your tree stand. try to put it up in natural brush and add a little brush to it just not to much so that it stands out
time in the woods is time well spent
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Here are a couple of pics of my blind and blind/stand combo hope this helps. its an Ameristep doghuse but I think when I start bringing my kids up I will move up to the outhouse or larger.

F

saxman

Post by saxman »

I have 3 tree satands only 1 put up now cause i love hunting out of ground blinds.
I can't fall,I'm protected from the elements,it containes most of my scent.
I love them.
Most of mine are doghouse's,a little small for two and a bow.
I have 1 large groundmax vision that is nice.It was $119 from G.M.
Good luck.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Canadian Tire (edit: ooooops...just realized you're from the States) had a steal on the Ameristep Brickhouse blinds a couple weeks ago...regular $199.99...on for $99.99. I picked up the two they had at my local location and searched across town for more...but they were all gone!
lscha

Post by lscha »

I love ground blinds. I have one that I got a few years ago that is still like new and I use it alot. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=9607214 The only drawback is the velcro mesh. Noisy.

I recently got a Primos Double Bull Matrix 360 for a great price. It is roomy, versatile, quiet, very black inside and sets up easily. It was a hit with our son too so we suggested to his wife that he might like one for Christmas. We also decided to get a second one. Well, They are gone!!!! Everyone is out of them and they can't be backordered. What the heck happened? I was only gone a week. There are a couple available at an outrageous price.

I searched everywhere and found the Dark Horse one, which is almost the same blind, for the same price as I paid for the 360 so I ordered it.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I've been hunting from the ground using blind material for a few years in addition to treestands. This year I got the Ameristep Bone Collector GB. There's lots of room for me and my son and our gear and a cat heater. I love it except for the shoot thru mesh attached with Velcro. I'm going to fix that with magnetic mounts so the mesh can be pulled down in silence when I need it out of the way. It's a lot of fun hunting out of these big GBs with your kids. I might even use mine as a popup ice fishing shack this winter.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
BUS314

good deal

Post by BUS314 »

Laura, you will NOT ne dissapointed!! Congrats---they are the best IMO.
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
XCaddis

Re: On the ground

Post by XCaddis »

I have often wanted to hunt from the ground but you give up a lot in your ability to see deer. When I am 15 feet up I can spot deer that you would never see from the ground. When archery hunting it doesnt make much difference, but when rifle hunting it can be the difference between a shooter deer or not.

Certainly I would enjoy hunting from the ground from time to time but I am not sure I would be willing to give up the extra distance I can see from up high.

Arkbow wrote:I hunt 100% from the ground and have as much success as I ever did from hunting from tree stands; here is my set-ups;
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

lscha wrote:I recently got a Primos Double Bull Matrix 360 for a great price.
SWOOON!!!!! I'd love a Double Bull! Someday...
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

VixChix wrote:
Keep it clean, keep it clean. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

sumner4991 wrote:
VixChix wrote:
Keep it clean, keep it clean. :shock:
Oooops... .I meant BLIND!

DOUBLE BULL BLIND!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

Phoenix_Tom, how do you go about putting magnets on them in place of the velcro? I have the doghouse also and would like to do that when I can. The velcro is just too loud and annoying. Thanks.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You can sew magnets into a thin cloth and sew them onto the blind. They will hold together through the cloth.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen