Rattling really does work....BBD!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

Rattling really does work....BBD!

Post by LondonDave »

I pick Riley (Vortexkid) up from school at 2pm. We're heading out to hunt our property that we purchased back at the end of last year just outside Melbourne (approx 25 mins west of London). This will be our first time hunting the property. We were a littlle slow in getting stands set up but I finally got the last stand hung yesterday and today would be the day we hunted it. The property is 66 acres but not a lot of bush. There is several nice sections of bush adjoining our property and what isn't bush is beans that have just been cut. We've seen plenty of sign that would indicated that deer are crossing through the back of our property going to the adjoining bush, we also got several pics on the trail cam as well as bumped a couple of does that were bedding in the tall grass area. The wind was from the north which isn't exactly ideal but is still huntable.

We get to the property at about 2:30 and are in the stands about 5 minutes later. Riley goes to one corner of the property. I go to the other. We're both in stands that I just put up yesterday. I thought his was going to be the one to produce.

I no sooner get my bow pulled up and sit down when I hear the sound of an atv putt-putting along a neighbouring property. The old fella on the atv gets off right beside where I am and walks into the bush with shotgun in hand. He appears to be looking for rabbits or woodcock. He doesn't see me right away but eventually does and says hi and asks me if I've seen anything. I tell him I just got there and he heads off. Not sure if this little encounter is going to blow my hunt I proceed to give a few grunts on the old grunt tube and then sit and watch. About 10 minutes later I decide to pull out the antlers and give them a little tickle. I am by no means an expert when it comes to grunting or rattling. I do about a 30 second rattling session that consists of some fairly aggressive clacking and some light ticking. I hang up the antlers and wait.

No more than 5 minutes later I look to my left and see a deer coming from the bush behind our property. He is coming right by a feeder that we've set up and right by our trail camera and another stand I hung.
I'm in the tree line ahead of him and to the right.

I figure he is going to get to the edge of the bush and stop and become caution but no. He charges right out into the open and is heading right towards me. At this point I'm looking at him through the scope so it's hard to tell exactly where he is. To make matters worse I'm having trouble finding the right eye relief so I'm not getting a good picture of him. He continues towards me and actually turns to be almost head-on. I tried to give him a little Baa to stop him but no. He turns back to his left and finally slows down. He's completely broadside at about 15 yards so I let him have it. The Boo string equipped Exomax lets the custom 2216 XX75 made by John tipped with a 100 grain Slick Trick fly. SMACK! For the first time I actually saw the hole in the side of him as he ran off. I guess that's what happens why you get them that close and in the complete open.

As he runs off I can see he's starting to wobble as he goes out of site. He's heading down into a little depressed area with a small creek running through it. I'm 99% sure he's down there but I wait. I call Riley to tell him the news. We sit tight for 30 minutes and then Riley comes over to meet me. I can't find my arrow and I can't find any blood but I know he's hit. We walk to where I'm sure he's gone without really trying to find blood. Sure enough Riley finds him piled up in the creek about 50 yards away.

Here he is...
The time of the camera is off by about 30 mins. The time on the traill cam pic is correct.
Nine pointer with a crabclaw brow tine and a hole in the right main beam where he possibly had a drop tine that broke off.

It's been a great season for me so far. Third time out and 2 bucks down.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
lscha

Post by lscha »

What a great buck! Thanks for the great story too!! Congratulations!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Rich

Post by Rich »

CONGRATS Dave!!! Love the mass on those antlers.

Rich
saxman

Post by saxman »

He's a beauty L.D.
Congrats :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Wow! Congrats. Hope your son can have similar success.

Long
killshot

Post by killshot »

That is a fantastic buck. Congrats. Great story. Thanks for sharing.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Congrats!!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Nice deer congrats.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Nice buck with good mass. Congrats.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Congrats!! nice buck, great story!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Congrats on a nice buck!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations! Very nice buck
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Beauty buck ! .... Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Wow, what a great deer and story. Thanks
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good buck Dave! Sounds like a great season so far.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family