what do you do when sitting:

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moxie

what do you do when sitting:

Post by Moxie »

What do you do when sitting for a long time in any stand, whether it be a ground blind or an elevated stand?

I don't about the rest of you; but, my mind just does not want to rest while I'm sitting in a stand. Thoughts occur in my brain. These thoughts sometimes take me far away, sometimes solve problems, and sometimes become a really great fantasy. Nevertheless, while sitting in a stand, our minds find it hard to be in neutral; and, it begins to wander. At first, we sort of control it by bring those thoughts back to the reality of what we are doing in our stand; but, eventually we get into one of those thoughts and we are off. Sometimes, to the point of loosing where we are and what we are there for. Things could happen around us and we would not even be of. then there is the rustle of leaves and you get jarred back to reality for the time being.

Sitting and remaining focused is hard. yet, I wouldn't have it any other way. What do you do when sitting in your stand for a long time?
Terry

Quad 300 x2
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I like to catch up on this forum, like now, waiting for the magic hour.
I also like to use my Blackberry to look at an aerial view of where I am sitting with Google earth to get a better idea of the lay of the land, and future huning spots.
I am also addicted to looking through my bino's, I just love to look for detail from far away, watching how corn reacts to wind surges, how animals act when other animals pass by.. I have 1001 ways to keep my thinker busy.
Right now, 20 minutes to sunset I am doing this..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I have learned from many years of experience and mistakes to stay focused on the job at hand. My head is constantly on a swivel. I hunt from 2 man stands and can make a 360* shots so 360* is what I cover. I sit on a boat cushion and my butt moves so I can see the last 25*-30*. Wish I could turn my head as far as an owl. :D It takes me about 45 seconds for me to do a 360 unless I see some movement then I focus on the movement until I am sure of what I saw move. Many, Many times A deer appeared where there was a empty trail 30 seconds ago.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
roland

Post by roland »

I usually fell asleep, of and on.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I hunt every moment in the stand, only letting my guard down for occasional snack or water. Never let the senses wander, use binos periodically to scan surrounding cover. Have had deer materialize where there were none without having made a sound. I call to bucks if they are cruising but just let does hang out. A live decoy was responsible for a 10 pointer, 130 B&C, meeting his demise last Monday.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

I don't often hunt hard. Killing a deer or turkey is not generally important to me. Having a new bow that hasn't taken an animal yet or wanting some meat in the freezer will get me to pay more attention to what I'm doing. If I'm comfortable I just find it so peaceful and relaxing to be in the woods or the edge of a field. Keep telling myself I'm going to take my blood pressure one of the times on stand believing I'd find it half of what it normally runs. Can't tell how many times deer have snuck in on me without ample notice and my bow not at the ready.

Take care...
wabi

Post by wabi »

roland wrote:I usually fell asleep, of and on.
I sometimes wonder if snoring isn't one of the best deer calls. :shock:
I've nodded off then looked up to have a deer in range more than once. :lol:
wabi
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

usually nod off, that's what us old timers do you know.
time in the woods is time well spent
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I do a LOT of thinking about how LUCKY I am! Wonderful Wife, Good Kids, Blessed with an Adorable Granddaughter, Great Family on both sides {Inlaws}, Have our Health, Retired at a Young age, Sitting in Gods wonderland that i own a little piece of and enjoying his Magnificent Work!! :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Think about work. Seems everytime I get into a tree stand the phone vibrates and it is a work related call. Yes running my own bussiness I do answer the calls. Got alot of jobs this fall when sitting in my treestand, unfortuntely I had to leave my tree stand more often than not because of it. Got to look after my customer base. Work is crazy this fall with all the rebates the goverment has out. Having to wait on furnaces this fall from back orders. Seems the September rush started in late October & November this year. Life is good.
ohioexocetfan

Post by ohioexocetfan »

I just try to veg out.. listen to the leaves, watch squirels and constantly look around to take in all the beatiful things that God has given us to enjoy in the outdoors. I try not to think too much while in the stand, cause I do that often enough at work. Lately one thing my group of buddies do is send text messages to each other while hunting... deer pics, blood trails, recent sightings, etc. I hate to admit I to enjoy that... helps pass the time.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well ... I do all the usual ... look, see, enjoy, think, doze, get surprised, get bored, stay there, move locations ... nothing is carved in stone.

I am a voracious reader, so while I was in a ground blind the other day and things were pretty dead, I pulled my camo C.C.B. (Concealed Carry Bible ... don't worry; I have a permit! :wink: ) and read 1 Peter, about half of Mark's gospel, some Psalms and a few verses of the Ephesian letter. :D

Sometimes, if I intend to stay a loooooooonnnnng time, I'll take a western paperback! :P :lol: Louis L'Amour is by far my favorite. 8)
Grizz
bbbwb

What do you do when Sitting

Post by bbbwb »

I do about the same as many have already noted --- look, listen, binocular the area, try to answer why no deer have shown up, where I should be sitting, see the deer that just appeared where there was none a minute ago, enjoy the awakening and/or the going to bed of nature, appreciate the silence and wonders of nature and how lucky I am to be able to be as I am. In the last 3 years, the joy of having my youngest daughter accompany me on hunting outings.
It is a wonderful country that I live in with the freedoms that I am able to enjoy with my super 4 daughters and friends.
Hunting can have its hectic moments but it provides time to allow one to reflect and enjoy solitude.
This is living.

bbbwb
Adam

Post by Adam »

I usually think about how uncomfortable my tree stand seats are, I am constantly slowly scanning the bush and quite often I nod off. My biggest concern is dropping my bow while falling asleep.
huntone

Post by huntone »

dick195252 wrote:I do a LOT of thinking about how LUCKY I am! Wonderful Wife, Good Kids, Blessed with an Adorable Granddaughter, Great Family on both sides {Inlaws}, Have our Health, Retired at a Young age, Sitting in Gods wonderland that i own a little piece of and enjoying his Magnificent Work!! :D
Well said Dick, I can not get over how blessed I am for all.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount