school me on ladder stands (please!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

subneural

school me on ladder stands (please!)

Post by subneural »

I'm thinking about moving to an elevated stand for deer hunting in SW Ontario. I don't see a lot of value in a climber or hang-on stand because I don't really need a lot of portability, so that makes a ladder stand look attractive.

I'd appreciate knowing what to look for...are they all pretty much the same? Canadian tire sells the gorilla kong model for about $150, but I notice it doesnt have a padded back rest. The bow shop has "big dog" brand, which looks to have a back rest for about the same price. What are you using? thanks.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
dutchhunter

ladder stands

Post by dutchhunter »

as far as ladder stands go you can not beat the home made ones two 2by 4 by 12 to 16 feet long .add steps and a platform on top .ratchet strap her to a tree and away you go .i love them and not to many guys will walk away with them .if you look in the doit your self site on ont out doors or other sites you can find plans may have a pic or two if you realy need it DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
ger34

Post by ger34 »

Subneural

We have 2 types of stands....the Remington 870 express from bass pro is a metal one..and I have made a few wooden stands

Wood Stand advantages

-our guys love these...they call them the "cadillacs"....

-they are roomy enough that you can walk to your stand with a light layer of clothing on....climb up in the stand...and then put on your extra layers..

-they are very sturdy and hardly move at all

- you can easily attach ground cloth or cam netting to the outside to hide your movement and provide a wind barrier

Disadvantages

-heavy...definately a 2 person installation...ATV to move them is a real asset

- made from pressure treated they smell...but after the first year outside that goes away

-being wood..they will eventually rot..and it is a good idea to give all the nuts and bolts a little "tweak" each year to ensure they don't squeak

We also have the "870 express" metal ladderstands

Advantages

-Once installed properly are very solid...move a little in the wind

-Break down into 4' pieces to move from place to place easily

-small profile....not really as noticeable as the wood ones

Disadvantages

-require some small modifications...armrests are a real asset to prevent falling off the small seat...also made a backrest from a piece of 3/4"plywood

-metal is cold in the late season

If you need any more info...or you want to see them....give me a pm...how close are you to Cambridge?
Summit Viper SS
Exocet 200
Gold Tip Laser II
4" vanes
100gr G5 Montecs
subneural

Post by subneural »

Thanks Dutch and Ger! A wood stand sounds like a good option. Ger sent you a PM...
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I have two ladder stands, one remington and one gorilla. Love the remington,the seat and platform distance is comfortable, not too fond of the gorilla. The fabric seat on the gorilla is very uncomfortable. I use a piece of plywood to sit on instead so I'll be modifying it this winter. I won't be buying another gorilla, but would like to buy a few more remingtons. They are solid stands and relatively inexpensive, I paid $69 on sale at bass pro for mine. Also with the gorilla, they use pins to hold the stand together not bolts. This allows for some movement in the joints which translates to noise, so I use an extra strap to hold the stand tight.
For those that use wooden stands, do you find that they creek when it's cold?
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I sat in my new Summit Goliath in the front yard a few days ago and if I could find a ladder stand that comfortable I'd be in business. So far, the most comfortable stand that I own is my 16' box stand with an office chair inside. It's all about the comfort for me. Not trying to steal the thread but does anyone know of a ladder stand that's really comfortable?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have a gorilla, It has the back rest that straps to the tree, and I find it fairly comfy. Its the stand I perfer out of all of mine. I did brace the butt part of it though with a wide strap criss-crossed a couple of times for added support, and then I can remove the actual seat so it does not get rained on. With the strap support I can accidently forget the real seat and still hunt.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I purchased a buddy stand so I could hunt with my sons. Its a little big and requires 2 to put it up, but the extra room is nice when hunting alone. easier to see around the tree and thiers lots of room on the bench seat to keep calls and such handy. I wired tied camo material around the shooting rail to help hide movement then wire tied a piece of plywood in the void under the seat to keep my pack.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I have 2 ladder stands....1 Gander Mountain Deluxe model. It has arm rests, a shooting rail and a padded backrest that straps to the tree. All these tings are nice but the problem is the seat is not deep enough which translates into being uncomfortable. The other is from Dick's sports. It's just a basic stand without a backrest, arm rests or shooting rail. The seat is deeper which makes for more comfort. My neigbour has a Gorilla which is deeper than either of mine and it's the most comfy. I've used a homemade wooden one like dutch describes and it's very roomy and comfy. You just need to make sure that it's strapped tightly to the tree or it can be creaky.

If you're in SW Ontario close to the border make a trip over to Gander Mountain, Dicks, Dunhams or even Walmart. You can get basic ladder stands for as little as $60, sometimes less. It's hard to beat any of them for that price.

I'm going to look at building some wood ones for my property so I can have my ladder stand to other properties that I have permission for.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have one ladder stand(ameristep) 1 hang on (ameristep) and 1 climber (off brand)

I DO NOT use the climber sinse my transplant and breaking my toes
The ladder stand is great but it was a real chore to carry in and put up alone.but it's nice.

The hang on stand I sat in for the first time this morning.
I was easy to install with the 4 ladder sections and 1 strap for the stand.
I like the hang on better than the others.

It may be portable but that doesn't mean I have to move it.

I also DO NOT hunt out of homemade stands.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I have on 2-man stand and 2 single man stands up. I can put the 2 man up by myself using a rope thrown across a limb and my 4-wheeler. I prefer the 2 man for the room to move around and hunt it more than both my single stands.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
subneural

Post by subneural »

Crispy brings up a good point about the buddy stands. They're pricier but I know my kids - while a bit young now - will be eager to join me up in the stand soon enough.

I'm starting to flip-flop on the idea of a ladder stand. It may be that the portability that a hang-on provides may be better for me in the long run. I'm just trying to figure out how realistic it will be to backpack in a hang-on, my phoenix, and a small pack.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas...please keep 'em coming!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

If you're looking at something to take in, set up and hunt you need a climber or a small light weight hang on and some screw in pegs or gorilla sick. 3 gorilla sticks will get you as high as you need to be and they are light weight and portable. Again the States is the best place. You can get a cheap light weight hang on for about $50 (less if you catch a sale) and gorilla sticks at Gander Mountain are up to about $15-$20 each now. As cheap as $10-12 each if you catch them on sale. With a bit of luck you can have a complete set up for $100.

I still wouldn't want to try and pack all that stuff in, set up and hunt but it's doable.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
subneural

Post by subneural »

Good points Dave. To clarify: I'm mainly looking for a "raise it and leave it" solution for the entire season. That's why I was initially looking at a ladder stand, whether its bought or built. Should I choose a hang-on, it will still be in the same tree for at least 80% of the season - hauling in climbing sticks, a hang-on, and an excal is not an appealing option, particularily if I'm hauling 'em all back out along with a deer! Sure things may be a bit easier once the snow flies and I bring along a toboggan to tow it all!

I'll definitely keep an eye on Gander Mtn and other US retaillers. I should probably also have a closer look at Bass Pro next time I'm in Vaughn.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Okay...sorry from your last post I thought you were looking for something to bring in with you each time. Ladder stands are definitely a good option. Walmart in the US will put their 2 man stands on sale at the end of the season for a ridiculously low price. They are pretty basic but do the job and lots of room. I don't know if you'll find it advertised anywhere. You could maybe get one of our members from the States keeping an eye out for you.

I've thought about building some but when you can get the single man basic stands for as cheap as $50 or $60 and you can bring them in and set them up yourself it makes it hard to bother unless you can leave them there permanently.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope