removing inserts from firebolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NewGuy

removing inserts from firebolts

Post by NewGuy »

I'm sure this has been covered before but could anyone give some advice on removing the aluminum inserts from firebolts?
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Find a long bolt threaded like the nock/insert, I like mine about 4" long. Screw it in to nock/insert and put the screw in a vise. Heat the screw with a torch, not the shaft, once the screw is hot the glue typically lets off a puff of smoke, pull on the arrow and it should slide right out. If not, heat it a little more.
It is very important that you do not let the carbon heat up too much, once the heat transfers from the bolt to the nock/insert it will liquify the glue, too long and it will damage the fibers of the shaft.

Here is what I mean, this screw is a bit short, too cold in my shop to look for a longer one.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Thank-you David
michiganman

glue

Post by michiganman »

it also works with a field tip.i twist/screw it to break it loose.if you add brass inserts you will need to clean out the glue.i use a small round file from chain saw sharpener.the brass inserts are longer thats why you need to clean them up,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

got'em all out, thanks guys
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Don't pull too hard prematurely, the guts of the fiber shaft will come out, arrow ruined. I also quench deinserted arrow in water to prevent damage from heat
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!