More hunt camp pics...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

More hunt camp pics...

Post by TPM »

This was our annual "last two days of rifle season" trip to our camp for me and a couple buddies. The weather was great, perfect for spending a couple of days out in the woods. Doe tags were cut way back for our area this year and none of us were successful in the draw so this was a "buck only" hunt. As luck would have it my one buddy had a doe pass in front of his stand at sun-up on Friday morning. Later he had another doe and an orphaned fawn visit him. I was at the north end in the hardwoods and had three does pass 40 yards in front of me. :? Saturday morning was a bit quieter with none of us spotting any deer. After lunch I decided to head back to the hardwoods but I wanted to head to a spot that had me sitting high overlooking a valley between two ridges about 100 yards wide. This valley is a natural funnel for the deer as they head toward the swamps and beaver pond. I perched myself on a rock where I had a good view of the deer trails below and had plenty of clear shooting lanes should something happen along. About 60 yards to my right was a small grassy clearing that the deer pass through if they head up the ridge. After sitting there for a couple of hours and seeing and hearing nothing I decided to move on. As soon as I stood up there was a doe, who unknown to me, was bedded in the grassy clearing and she decided head out of there. She sneaked down into the gut so I thought I'd wait a few minutes to see if I could get another look at her. A couple of minutes later a I heard some sticks breaking and a huge doe stepped into the clearing and stopped. Soon a little one followed behind and joined her. I got the camera out as I thought I might as well get a few pictures of them. I was just about to take a picture when I heard "uuurrr" from some brush at the edge of the clearing. Just then the doe and her young one headed up the hill and the buck stepped out into the clearing and stopped broadside in the open about 60 yards from me! I quickly dropped the hammer on him and he went a few steps and went down. I knew he was still alive as I could see the top of his rack moving but the rest of him was obscured by some brush. About five minutes later, as I was watching the doe and fawn who hadn't left despite me shooting, the buck stood up again. I quickly put another shot in him and he took one leap and face planted. He jumped up again and took a couple more bounds into the bush when I heard the crash and then silence. I radioed my buddies and told them to join me in about 1/2 an hour and we'd do a recovery. We went down to where he headed back into the bush and quickly picked up the blood trail. We found him piled up about 30 yards in the bush. I was quite excited! This was the biggest buck I'd ever taken! It turns out the first shot took out a lung and he probably would have expired soon without the second shot but I never take chances on one getting away. We had a bit of an adventure getting him out but that can be seen in the pics below. :oops:

Friday morning in the hardwoods overlooking a trail intersection.

A young bull moose crossed the top of our ridge and left his mark on a bunch of trees. My one buddy spotted him near the pond Friday morning.

We have quite a few beech trees on the property and most are scarred from bears climbing them.

Typical lunch back at the camp.

I don't care what the ads may show, don't take an ATV into the bush without a winch!

My neighbour up there has a bulldozer so he came and pulled out the ATV and gave my buck a ride back.

Enjoying fresh venison tenderloins and all the fixings for dinner that night.

Another shot of the buck back home before we hung him up.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nice pics, Tim.

Nice deer, too.

Looks to me like the 'Ol Boy had been around a while!

I call those "jerky deer" ... or "donation deer"! :shock: :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats! Good story line with the pictures. Thanks!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

He is a nice one. I have to agree with Mike P's thread regarding a lot of nice deer being harvested this year. Congratulations Tim :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations Tim!

Great story, Great Photos... and it looks like you had a Great Time ! :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Can't beat that, a camp in the woods, good friends, and a nice buck to boot,
doesn't get any better than that. Congrats. :lol: :lol:
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great story , pictures and Buck ! Congratulations !
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Congratulations TPM. Monster brow tines on that one :shock:
Why ride when you can walk!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I guess it just proves that we got such big deer up here in Canada that we have to use dozers as ATV`s :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Doe Master wrote::) I guess it just proves that we got such big deer up here in Canada that we have to use dozers as ATV`s :)
That pic with the dozer really puts the buck's size in perspective. That was a big deer!!!!!!!!!
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I enjoyed those Pictures.
I couldn't believe temature. 11 degres?
I'm sleepin in
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

10-4, awesome hunt and great deer, wall hanger>>>
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

good pic's thx fer sharing, thats tuff with ATV stuck.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Looks like a Lot of Fun! Thank You for sharing 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
maple

Post by maple »

Good shooting Tim.

Thanks for the update and the extra pics. That is one dandy buck you've got there.

You can tell us the story again in a couple of days OK?

Maple