My muzzleloader buck from Middlesex County

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fdegurse

My muzzleloader buck from Middlesex County

Post by fdegurse »

hey guys and gals,

We had a great hunt this year and only got 3 of 7 tags filled, but we'll use them up through the rest of the archery year. Got this guy on the wednesday morning. After a rough few hours in the pop up blind with wind and rain blowing in the windows It was about 9:40am and I was trying to keep my mind off squirrels, turkeys and how cold and wet I was so I was deleting emails off my Blackberry and watching the bush every few moments. I only had about 15 minutes before our crew had decided it was pack up time to move to a different bushlot.

It all came together with a crack of a twig about 50 yards out. I picked him out angling toward my left, down a trail alongside a meadering oxbow creek. Looking through all the hawthornes all I saw at first was legs, then body then the rack. Holy sh*%&it!

A buddy had shot a 4 point buck early in the week so I knew I was now in contention for the biggest buck plaque in the camp, I picked a shooting lane and didn't have my breath timed right, picked the next hole, still too pumped with buck fever, then the next and probably the last as he was now 80 yards and quartering away, awesome, took two slow breaths, exhaled, calmed, then said in my head "don't flinch, don't flinch" BANG!

I knew I nailed him as I didn't blink and I'm sure I saw him buckle on impact through the Bushnell scope and Triple 7 smoke of my Remington Genesis ... but he took off leaping.. tail up and down, funny?? But listening I heard him run for 5 seconds and crash then nothing.. I know they're quiet but I was sure he was down.

I let him sit for 15 minutes before I got up. I searched twice not finding any blood or hair the first time and so many trails I couldn't pick him up. He only went 50 yards from where I shot him. The crash was him falling down the creek embankment breaking a couple branches. I was worried he'd slide into the creek so I first pulled the beast back onto flat ground and tagged my trophy (just showing under my left hand)and prize for the freezer. Great hunt but a tough drag through the hawthorns uphill for 500 yards and then through the pines for another 500 yards till we could reach him wth a truck.

I have to thank my buddy who decided to pack up a few minutes earlier from the opposite pine ridge as we figure that spooked him up towards me, and our other buddy who got permission for this Garden of Eden. He's going up on the wall. It's been 10 years trying to get a big one respectable enough to take to the taxidermist. I've had a lot of does and small basket racked deer in the past to work up to this guy. Best hunt of my life so far...

Frank and a 2005 Exomax
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go! :D
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on a very nice Buck. Ck those eye brow tines they're tall makes him have lots of character!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A fine deer indeed!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

thanks guys, the taxidermist rough scored him at 135, he was 19 3/4" wide and the largest brow tine was 9 3/4"

He'll be a full upright with a left turn, I'll post a pic of him when he's home,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Great looking Buck! Congratulations! 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Some nice ones in Middlesex!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8up

Post by 8up »

Great looking buck Congrats
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on a great buck! Those brow tines are huge!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats :D

Tell me about the load you used with the Genisis?
Powder& how much,bullett & wieght,primer
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

The bullets are cheap lead. I bought them 4 years ago, and use a separate sabot hull for 50cal,

I used 100 grains or 2 pellets of triple seven for the load. I'm sighted in for 200 yards. The last target groups were within an inch or two at 50 yards and about a 4-6 inch spread at 200 yards which is my poor shooting and not the gun and load. The primers are Remington 209's,

moose juice formula is 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 rubbing alcohol, 1/4 murphy's oil soap. I now use canned air from the computer store to blow out the breech plug and the barrel after I clean it ,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Gotta love that rack! Been saying that a lot lately . . .seems like everyone is getting a big boy, except me. :lol:

Congrats!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

thanks sumner ,

dude, you're due buddy, call in sick and get out in the field....

good luck,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
saxman

Post by saxman »

fdegurse wrote:The bullets are cheap lead. I bought them 4 years ago, and use a separate sabot hull for 50cal,

I used 100 grains or 2 pellets of triple seven for the load. I'm sighted in for 200 yards. The last target groups were within an inch or two at 50 yards and about a 4-6 inch spread at 200 yards which is my poor shooting and not the gun and load. The primers are Remington 209's,

moose juice formula is 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 rubbing alcohol, 1/4 murphy's oil soap. I now use canned air from the computer store to blow out the breech plug and the barrel after I clean it ,
I use the same formula but call it Moose Milk
I use the canned air also.
I use a drill bit the size of the flash hole to clean the carbon out of my BP,just turn it with your fingers,mine have a 1/4" hex shank.
You'd be suprised how that hole(the one you put the primer in not the tiny one will fill up with fouling.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »