What target works for carbon bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ob

What target works for carbon bolts?

Post by ob »

OK I took out my new-to-me Exocet 200 with the Firebolt carbon bolts and field points, to sight it in. I was using my foam target cube that I have been shooting into forever, with both field points and broadheads (literally hundreds of shots)............

..........and the bolts basically MELTED the foam. They were stuck as solid as can be, with the foam melted right onto the shafts. That was with field points and eventually I did get a leather glove around the shafts and worked the bolts out with a set of channel-lock pliers. The bolts are covered with cooked-on styrofoam. :shock: And I cracked one with too much force......... :(

So I need a different target to use with carbon bolts, and I want something that I can use for broadheads. Any suggestions?

THANKS!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Cheap bag target from walmart works fine for us or make you own. Large feed bag stuffed with old clothes (remove buttons and zippers) or plastic bags or shrink wrap. If you know someone that works in a shipping/receiving dept. where they get pallets in wrapped in plastic have him/her save it for you. Stuff the feed bag full, ziptie the top and you're good to go.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
ch312

Post by ch312 »

pillow case filled with rages, towels, or old work clothes is the cheapest target you can get and will never let you down. put this inside a few burlap or plastic feed sacks...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It's not what is in the target that you should be thinking about, it is what is on your arrow..
A good lube will prevent your arrow from melting on contact, I like to use Cardosa, a quick dip and the arrow will glide out of any target.
Some guys like to use Jig-a-loo, they report terrific results.
Carbon whipping through foam will indeed cause friction/melting/stuck arrows, but there are lots of solutions. Furniture polish, Jig-a-loo, Cardosa, dish soap..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

The Block Crossbow. Images not working from snapfish...
Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like the bag of clothes/rags best and I've tried a lot of targets. Use duct tape to repair holes after broadhead use.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

Yea the Morrells Six-shooter wasn't stopping the bolts from this Vortex. Broadheads sticking out the back are not easy to extract. Same deal with me on the target foam adhering to the shafts, mostly on the Field point shafts. Here's what I ended up with:

From 30 yards
Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
Philzleads

Post by Philzleads »

A little bigger now !

Vortex
Boo String
Groundpounder
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Best all around target I have used for fp's and BH's haas been the rineheart 18n1 . Fp's pull out with little effort and have yet to get a pass thru even upclose using my exocet 200 . They are gauranteed against pass thru's for 1 year using BH's . Have yet to poke a hole thru it in 1.5 years
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I went to a hardware store and bought a 25lb sack of rags, for $18.00. Bolts go about 7" or 8", pull out with two fingers, and that's with an Exomax. The one I got is stuffed with t-shirts. Works great. Also on ebay there are some recycled foam targets for about $40.00, shipped. They claim will stop any arrow or bolt from any bow or crossbow. I an going to try one of them. I'll post results on here.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
saxman

Post by saxman »

What ever target (foam)
Get a FP that is larger than the shaft so it paves a larger hole for the shaft.
I had to start using Pam cooking spray on mine.
I have 2 wally world targets,1 bag and 1 BH.
I have to stand on the BH target to get the arrows out,even @ 40 yards.

I hear the Spyderweb targets a great with pinky finger removal.
Reinheart 18-1
I think they are called Pacific Archery Butts.heard they are awesome
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikdor

cross bow target

Post by mikdor »

I was in Orillia 2 weeks ago and bought a target at trombley's tackle box it is burlap and filled with cardboard I think. It is made for field tips only the bolt only goes in about 6" and pulls out super easy and was priced at 49.95 I like it. I shoot an older exocet I think its a175lb pull.
mikdor
michiganman

tqrget

Post by michiganman »

i went to the feed store,there you can buy nylon,or cloth bags.i had old target with fiber loose fill.stuffed it in tight and works great.the bags are .75 cents each.im shooting 330fps ,and no problem.after i shot it full of test broadheads i just put another bag over it .i use a majic maker and add many dots one side,and draw a deers body other side.
helps keep the money were it needs to go,JIM

like said above ,get the bags and stuff with old clothes
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
K31Scout

Post by K31Scout »

Spyderweb targets are what they use at Jay's in Gaylord MI. They have a big archery department and customers can shoot any bow to help decide what to buy. Their targets have been shot many 1000's of times and they swear by them. They might be worth the price.
ghglenn

Post by ghglenn »

I got the "Yellow Jacket" from a friend of mine, it works great for field-points. Tried to make my own BH target.... first bolt I shot went right through and stuck into my metal shop door :shock: Ooops?