Savage Smokeless muzzle loader really is a Savage.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

-stimps-

Savage Smokeless muzzle loader really is a Savage.....

Post by -stimps- »

A guy I know has a Savage Smokeless Muzzle Loader and was sighting it in when the worst thing happend....It Blew Up. There are many recorded casses of this apperantly and just want to pass the news to anyone who may think of buying such a gun.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tfprocter/G ... feat=email#

Hopefully this link works for everyone.

-stimps-
the elf

Post by the elf »

Don't blame the gun----It looks like a case of----OPERATOR ERROR.
Somehow -in his loading procedures---he either did something twice or
forgot to do something.---Or he used black powder in a gun meant for
smokeless powder only. He has my sympathy-------but.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune. I came across this website article by Toby Bridges that covers a couple of other Savages with nearly identical failures. It basically tracks the problem to Savage changing to a cheaper breach plug that allows the high pressure to get back past the front of the plug and cause the barrel to rupture. This was with using proper loading procedures, it isn't always the operator that is to blame.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Alert.html

They also requested that you email them if your Savage does blow up on you, their email address is [email protected] and it is also at the bottom of the article.

Hope he is able to heal up quickly and retain the use of his thumb.

-M
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

Definitely a big OMG and OUch, I had to cross my legs it hurt to look at so much and goose bumps ran through me...

I don't get queezy gutting a deer but that got me,,,

Some physio in the future, Lucky it wasn't his face,

regards,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

damn.... everyone I know that has one loves them. But like any gun, you have to be careful. Talking while sighting in with friends is a bad combo. Soe forget to load the gun while others doubleload
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I think it's only fair to mention that Toby Bridge's writings concerning his "Savage blow-up" have been plagued by controversy since the alleged incident, and called into question by other gun writers. Anyone who has followed the development and refinement of "smokeless muzzleloading" knows about it.

I'm not saying one way or the other, or taking a side in the argument. I don't have a dog in that hunt.

That looks like a serious injury, however it happened.
Grizz
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm skeptical about the explanation.

The barrel split. The breach didn't fail.

I can't think of how that rupture could possibly have had anything to do with breach plug issues.

I would be willing to work with an assumption that it was a double charge of powder; or, an excessive weight bullet or maybe even two bullets rather than one stuffed onto a proper charge; or, the bullet not being seated right down onto the powder charge; or, the wrong smokeless powder being used.

That's not a minor failure. That would need a horribly over pressure charge to do that kind of damage.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'm a live and let live type, whatever trips your trigger is fine w/ me. There's just something about the words 'smokeless' powder muzzle loaders that reminds me of fingernails on chalk boards.

I've led a rich life experience wise, enjoyed reloading pistol and centrerfires, got into black powder a few times and had a ball w/ shooting P&B, among a slew of other things.

I watched as Pyrodex etal came on the scene, followed by modern inlines, and then 'smokeless' powder m/l. None of it did a thing for me.

I kind of feel sorry for those that jumped into the game w/ the new kids on the block equipment wise. For me, it was all about the history and romance of the old stuff that still works as well as it ever did, if not more so.

I recall loading .38 Spl target loads w/ 148 gr wad cutters and 2.7 gr of Bullseye, a relatively hot pistol powder in it's day. Seeing how we all tweak our Excals, I shudder to think........................

I hope all involved are ok.
"Eze 18:21"
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

WOW !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I would definitley want to find out what caused this type of catastrophic failure . Had heard nothing but great things about this muzzle loader from Savage .
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I own this gun, and can't see how that could happen. If everything was done correct. I have no idea what the story is on this, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Could have been the gun, or it could have been a loading error, but I'd be checking my breech plug if I owned one!
Hope he recovers without too much permanent damage to the hand.
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:shock: WOW. Man, I hope that dudes hand heals. It looks like a world of hurt there. Some serious tissue damage :shock:

By the looks of the tissue damage he was holding the gun between the thumb and finger, rather than an open palm?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
saxman

Post by saxman »

Could it have been double loaded?
Thats what it looks like
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

i am going to have to side with the operator error crowd here, that is a ruptured barrel,not a blown breech plug. i think had the breech plug failed in this instance we would be looking at head and facial injuries and not injuries to the hand that apparently was holding the fore-end of the rifle. graphic reminder of how dangerous our sport can be if we get careless.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

I also own a savage smokeless ml. There is nothing wrong with the gun. The trouble is to many people are trying to make it shoot 3000-3500 fps. It is a muzzle loader not a varmit rifle. They are using powder that is to fast,duplex loads, tripple loads. All for the sake of speed. This is a very dangerous game they are playing. No wounder the guns are blowing up. I belonged to one forum that was doing all of this and complaining of bulged barrels. I wounder why??? needless to say I don't belong to that forum any longer. I have been hand loading for over fifty years and never had a problem. Rifle,hand gun, shotgun and muzzle loaders both cap and ball and inlines. Use your head and your reloading manuals and you will be ok. DON'T GET DISTRACTED!!!

SPITFIRE
I am a hunter and proud of it.