My dream backyard buck falls today!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

What are you feeding them things? :shock: WOW.

One lucky 14 year old . . .however, he may drive himself crazy for the next 50 years trying to better that one. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

what a beauty sorry it didn't work out for ya cf
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You seem to be taking it well cf'er!! Sad to see the big guy go im sure, but perhaps everthing happens for a reason. I bet theres another biggun out there with HD written all over it.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am sure deep down in your heart you are Glad for this Young Man Bagging that Buck!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
saxman

Post by saxman »

Come on guy's
We've got to let these little one's walk.
MAN!!!!!!!!
Now he's got the young folks doing it. :shock: :? :shock: :?

Big Time Congrats :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Sorry for your loss Farmer. But for a 14 yo to nail a buck like that...man whats he got to look forward too now LOL I am very glad to see that it was a kid if not you. Heading back to Va this weekend.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

crazyfarmer wrote:Mike, I can only get 157 gross out of him.

You're right about the tine length killing the score on this buck.

It once again goes to show just how difficult it is to crest the 160 inch plateau. So many hunters are so quick to label their bucks or bucks they have seen as 160 class bucks and are very surprised to find out they have much lower scores when measured by someone who scores correctly.

I was at Bass Pro Shops here in Cincinnati a few years ago during their Fall Hunting Classic where they offer customers the chance to have their bucks scored. I actually saw a guy arguing with one of the people doing the scoring about the low score his buck was given. His buck scored 129 and the guy was berating the scorer in a very loud voice saying "thats a 165 buck all day long you don't know how to score!"

I looked at that buck and thought the 129 was actually generous. But that guy was somewhat indicative of many who do not have a clue as to what a buck scores or how a buck is scored. I enjoy walking the wall of bucks at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo in Columbus every year listening to the many hunters talk about the scores shown in each bucks identification sheet. It tells me that most have never taken the time to even look at any information pertaining to the proper method for scoring bucks.

There are some really neat little kits out there that are very reasonably priced that will allow anyone to score a buck. It really is not very difficult and the instructions in the kits are very easy to follow. I urge anyone who is "into" antlers to acquire one of these kits. Not only is it fun scoring bucks you have harvested, you will also obtain a good understanding of the scoring system which allows you to better judge antlers "on the hoof."
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm with Mike, I think alot guys over score their bucks when guessing. Here is a link to the B&C calculator, just measure and plug in your numbers. http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... etail+Deer

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:I'm with Mike, I think alot guys over score their bucks when guessing. Here is a link to the B&C calculator, just measure and plug in your numbers. http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... etail+Deer

Rich
Rich, thats what I used. I actaully scored under by 1/8th inch in every measurement also just so I didnt over score the deer. He's putting it in the youth class at the contest though so we can see what it actaully scores. But 155-156gross is about right since its mainly just a very wide 8pt with 6 inches of total extras. He nets 147 6/8ths also but I hate a net score unless its a beauty typical deer. It definitly looks like a 165inch deer though, but it just cant add up by the numbers. But with abuck like that, score doesnt matter at all. Its a once in a lifetime buck for him and many of us regardless of inches.

Mike, I actaully felt bad since I over guessed the deer and said he should go 165-170. When I got the numbers I said it had to be a mistake but the more I looked at the deer the more the 150score matched it. Now add a inch or 2 to each tine and another inch of mass around and we have a totally different buck :D

He killed the buck on land I couldnt hunt and that buck spent 70% of his time on that land. I was just hoping to get lucky and catch him in the woods I could hunt. Keep in mind I had this buck at 50 yards onenight under my own night light outside. I know of quite a few people that would have shot this deer after hours but its just not worth it.

again, I think part of the reason this guy showed up was because of the 1500 acres of timber thats been cut down below me. He was on the move and roaming new land. Its a few others around and I have my eye on 3-4 others that would glady take my last tag. Ive had a very good season so its no big loss. Though I didnt sleep much last night its nice knowing he's gone so I dont have to worry about him the rest of the year.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Yep, the score doesn't do that buck justice. He just isn't great in any measurements. Desent mains and height, very good mass and spread; just isn't great in anything. Congrats to the young man on an awesome deer and congrats to you to Crazy. Sometimes we just aren't fortunate enough to find out what eventually happens to the bucks we chase.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

You don't have to feel bad with the two nice bucks you killed this season.Another nice one will show up for next season.