Question about Ontario Gun/Achery season.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LondonDave

Question about Ontario Gun/Achery season.

Post by LondonDave »

This week is the second gun season (controlled hunt) for southern Ontario. With many areas not having Sunday gun hunting can a person start archery hunting again on Sunday or would they need a controlled hunt seal? Just curious because I'm off this weekend and would like to go out on Sunday if I can....There is no Sunday gun hunting in my WMU.

Thanks,
Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
dutchhunter

hunt

Post by dutchhunter »

i think it is next week iot nstarts the last day ofnov .you can bow hunt on sunday if there is no gun hunting on sundays .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
gogo

Post by gogo »

The control hunt starts Monday Nov 30, your good to go till then.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I guess it's different in my WMU (92). The second controlled hunt is on this week and according to the regs the achery season opens again on the 23rd to the 29th, then another contolled hunt and archery again from Dec 7th to 31st.

So...Since there is no Sunday gun hunting in my WMU can I archery hunt on the 22nd even though officially the season doesn't open again until the 23rd?

Thanks,

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

LondonDave wrote:I guess it's different in my WMU (92). The second controlled hunt is on this week and according to the regs the achery season opens again on the 23rd to the 29th, then another contolled hunt and archery again from Dec 7th to 31st.

So...Since there is no Sunday gun hunting in my WMU can I archery hunt on the 22nd even though officially the season doesn't open again until the 23rd?

Thanks,

Dave
You just answered your own question Dave. :lol: You can hunt during the season as outlined in the regs. If the archery season re-opens the 23rd then you can archery hunt on the 23rd. As for the Sunday gun hunting, check the online regs - they should include some recent additions of counties that have added Sunday gun hunting. Apparently there were quite a few additions in your area this year.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

LondonDave wrote:I guess it's different in my WMU (92). The second controlled hunt is on this week and according to the regs the achery season opens again on the 23rd to the 29th, then another contolled hunt and archery again from Dec 7th to 31st.

Thanks,

Dave
Your controlled hunts are muzzleloader only.

They run from November 16th - November 22nd and then again from November 30th - December 6th. You can not hunt on November 22nd, as the archery season will still be considered closed.

Therefore, you can hunt with archery equipment from November 23rd until legal time ends on November 29th.

You can commence hunting with archery equipment again on December 7th.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Yeah that's what I figured. I just thought maybe there was a loop-hole or something. I hate it when my days off fall during the gun seasons. I'm off from yesterday until Monday and can't hunt. :cry:
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

That sucks Dave! I don't understand why they don't allow archery hunting in addition to the MLs during the controlled hunts. A few WMUs allow it. They all should. If someone knows why this is please let me know.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
subneural

Post by subneural »

Phoenix_Tom, I believe the reason for the archery restriction during ML/SG weeks is to limit the number of hunters "in the bush". I think safety is the driver for this policy.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
JRS

Post by JRS »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:That sucks Dave! I don't understand why they don't allow archery hunting in addition to the MLs during the controlled hunts. A few WMUs allow it. They all should. If someone knows why this is please let me know.
Because the hunter numbers in these hunts are "controlled". They want to limit how many hunters are afield during these gun hunts.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I apologize for going OT Dave.

So what's the point of limiting the numbers to B, SG, and ML in some WMUs, SG and ML in most, and ML only in some WMUs? I wouldn't think that including shotguns in some of those WMUs would help keep hunter numbers down. Wouldn't that have the opposite effect? You can't tell me there are more archers than shotgunners.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s