Too Much FOC?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PA_DeerHunter

Too Much FOC?

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Bought a six pack of Excalibur Boltcutter broadheads and for some reason can't get them to shoot too well with the Firebolt arrows, nor with the Easton 2219 arrows. Groups at 20 yards are about 4-5 inches with both. Not too pleased with that.

On a whim, I put one of the Boltcutters on a Goldtip Laser II with brass insert and shot it. It hit about 2 inches below aim point. I pulled the arrow and shot again...and then again. I put three consecutive shots into a 1.25 inch circle just below aim point. WOW!

The Boltcutter is a 150 grain head, but the GT insert is made to balance a 100 grain head, so the arrow is 50 grains front heavy as a result.

Will this excessive FOC cause me any problems? Can you have too much FOC?
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

i use the boltcutters and was happy it didnt change my point of impact one bit from the field tips.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

Huh!!!! i use firebolts and boltcutters and get a 1-2 inch grouping at 20 yrds!! wit a exomax by chance did you take a good look at the glue that attaches ur fletching sometimes excess glue can cause ur arrow not to sit proper. I always check my throughly before i use them (new ones) :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

tell us about your fletching. length and offset. I had inconsistant groups untill I switched to 2" blazers. your foc should still be ok
time in the woods is time well spent
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

deer jamie: I'm using the standard Firebolt right out of the box...with 4" vains. Glue isn't an issue...no build up. And the spin test shows no wobble. Not sure what it is.

old fart jim: 4" vains, not much of an offset. I don't do my own fletching or re-fletching. I was told the Firebolts with Boltcutters worked well right out of the box.

bstout: Not sure if Excalibur uses heat glue, but I guess I could try rotating the insert if so. Can't really see why the need if it passes the spin test with no wobble. But will try anything if it can tighten groups.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I getting great results with arrows that have 18.5 and 20% FOC...but using low profile 4-bladed heads and 2" Blazer.
Slick Tricks.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bstout: Not sure if Excalibur uses heat glue, but I guess I could try rotating the insert if so. Can't really see why the need if it passes the spin test with no wobble. But will try anything if it can tighten groups.
I ruined some carbons before I got on here and knew better, it's not hot melt, imho.

You might try a G-5 squaring device, Boo swears by them.
"Eze 18:21"
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

PA_DeerHunter wrote:deer jamie: I'm using the standard Firebolt right out of the box...with 4" vains. Glue isn't an issue...no build up. And the spin test shows no wobble. Not sure what it is.

old fart jim: 4" vains, not much of an offset. I don't do my own fletching or re-fletching. I was told the Firebolts with Boltcutters worked well right out of the box.

yup me to my arrows are from the bow show from excal and again almost every arrow i look at i do a little razor blade work. It only take a small droop of glue to offset ur arrow and like i said almost every arrow i buy there is one or 2 spots wear excess glue apears . If ur arrow is off by 1mm in the rail it could be off by a few inches at 20 yards again iam just trouble shootin here it was aproblem for me at one time and it fixed it :? :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter